[All] [Generic] Car PC people. Advice needed.

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[All] [Generic] Car PC people. Advice needed.

Post by Ryan S »

Looking for some advice. My plan is to run a windows tablet for my ecu but i'm thinking about using it for media too. My issue is that it's a 7" tablet and is insanely fiddly!

I'm looking for user interface that's kind of like something you'd see in a car (i've played with one called roadrunner but it's pretty crap) Also, maybe something like a wee rollerball or tackpad with skip function and possibly volume function which is at hand rather than struggle with the screen for going through music folders etc.

All advice welcome, Ryan :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [All] [Generic] Car PC people. Advice needed.

Post by Ryan S »

https://griffintechnology.com/us/powermate

Something like this would work well.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I've got an android tablet setup in mine.

I messed around with loads of different frontends but find it just as easy to have all the icons or apps you need on the front page.
I tend to use Spotify, toyobd, tunein radio ,google maps and that's about it.

If I wanna watch skygo or a movie then I just click the page to those particular apps.

For volume, its a bit of a fiddle at the mo as I need to program the tablet to auto Max out the volume but apart from that I have an rca volume control tucked down the side of the seat which makes adjusting the volume easy.

Data wise it auto syncs and shares the data from my phone via Bluetooth

My car isn't a daily so the tablet doesn't get used too much anyway.

If it was my daily then I think I'd be looking at a standard stereo with Bluetooth.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Thanks for that mate, my issues are that it HAS to be windows to monitor the ecu and also if i'm zoomed in to make things a decet size windows cuts menu boxes etc so you can't see some buttons. Microsoft seem to have given very little thought to the scaling of windows on tablets :( Mine will also be a weekend car so if I have to put up with it then tough luck I guess. As for audio i will have a stereo in the glovebox to feed the speakers and amps/subs. The tablet will be sending it audio to this via bluetooth. I'm gonna download some front ends today, the roadrunner one was ok but a bit fiddly accessing the libraray and the display was pretty rubbish :(

I would much rather use and android tablet but it won't work with the Link ECU software :(

My other option was to mount the stereo above the tablet (where the blower vents are) but I have a custom fascia with gauges in it and i'd quite like to keep that.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Maybe it will be easier to get a mini PC and a separate touch screen such as the 7" Lilliput screens?

That way you can have genuine windows on it which will allow you to customise more?
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

^this. You can get win 7/10 devices that will fit the palm of you hand run off 12v hooked up to a touchscreen and even mouse/track pad.

Not sure what connections they have in addition to hdmi,usb.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That was my original plan until i seen the HP stream 7. It runs full windows 8.1 not windows NT or CE etc, it's also waiting for windows 10 upgrade being finished for it. It's a perfect fit and uses hardly any battery so i can leave it in standby, plus it's obviously set up for touchscreen already :thumleft:

Oh, as for usb i have a powered usb hub so inputs are basically unlimited :)

http://www.studica.com/uk/en/3DConnexio ... Gwod2DYNVg

This might be a better option for a mouse? It is a 3d mouse but i would assume it would work as a normal mouse too. There is also a wireless version of this.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/isimple-bluclik/

Would something like this work with windows? Realisticly i only need to be able to skip, pause, play etc. I'd have a media player running in the background while the ecu software is running as the main program.

Basically what i need is stereo functionality without having to touch the screen. Or a decent front end, switching between programs in windows 8 is no issue with the touchscreen.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I don't think that will work with win os tbh. Most remotes interface via a usb receiver.

It would be good if you can somehow get the media keys onscreen on top of any software that's running.

Do you have a remote for your h/u wireless or steering wheel mounted, maybe use that for music. Run the tablet through aux when sound is needed.

It's worth checking on MP3car they seem into this kind of thing.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I've not bought the head unit yet(just assume it will have bluetooth plus a steering wheel remote) but this was something i thought of the other day! This might be a longshot but if i was to pair the head unit and tablet do you think the ap2d functionality would work? If it did my problem would be completely solved!
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

that may work. You should pop into Halfords with your tablet and see if you can pair and stream audio. Your tablet does support a2dp, and hopefully allow control from the stereo/remote
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

gnzyza wrote:that may work. You should pop into Halfords with your tablet and see if you can pair and stream audio. Your tablet does support a2dp, and hopefully allow control from the stereo/remote

That's a great idea! I guess the question is will windows allow it. I'll find out. The issue may be dealt with just by way of a bluetooth steering wheel remote anyway, I tend to listen to one album for days at a time. Thanks for the help :thumleft:
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

Hi,

Dunno if this will work, or even if you can buy one, I have other projects at the moment, but i want to do a car PC build with one of these:-

http://www.nexcom.co.uk/Products/mobile ... c-1010-ivi

Got CAN, WiFi, GPS as standard. Runs on the Atom platform so you can install what ever you want.

Or these, which you definitely can buy

http://www.quietpc.com/int-nuc-de3815tykhe

You could dual boot, so have a windows install for the ECU control, and Tizen IVI or something else for in vehicle. Pair it with a monitor in stock dual din, super cool install. You might need a DAC for output to rest of install if you're SQ focused. Will cost a bot, mbut look awesome, and doi anything and everything you might want. If you can get the nexcon, can be plumbed straight to the CAN as well

Monitor options are :-

http://lilliputdirect.com/liymo-double- ... %20monitor - Fully built

Or plain screen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lilliput-SKD-Fr ... 34&sr=1-28

and you can build your own, you buy an enclosure.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It does all look good and something I could do but it doesnt solve my actual issue which is having to use windows with a fiddly 7" screen :( I don't really want to use windows as such...It'll really be used for the ecu which I'd set up before I drive off, and media. Those tiny PCs are cool though, do they startup on igntion? If I can find a decent media player or a decent frontend then I'd be happy to use windows for media too, I already have the tablet (i bought it months ago actually) which i bought specifically for a dash install.

If i can find an intuitive controller of some sort (think bmw idriveor mercedes controls) then I'd be happy. Thanks for the links they may provide useful at some point! :thumleft:
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

Windows 8/10 would probably be OK, as Metro is pretty well set up for small screens and touch, That said, there are better options.

All depends on how good you with computers. You could put Windows on it and run centrafuse for the front end.

https://www.centrafuse.com/en/

Easy, pretty non technical, but has a bit of cost for the software.

If you don't mind playing, you could use Tizen IVI as the front end, just dual boot with a boot loader so you can select that or Windows for when you want to use the ECU program.

https://www.tizen.org/about/devices/veh ... fotainment

Probably be a bit of screwing around to get the dual boot working, but Tizen IVI is awesome!! and free. Pay a bit of money and you can get a really nice 3d satnav as an add on. But, unless you are pretty good with computers tizen will be a bit of a ball achche, as its very much in beta. Its what alot of the OEM's use and is the offical OSS part of the Automotive grade linux program.
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

And start on ignition will all depend on how you wire it in. If you put in a circuit that is switched by ACC, then yes. You could also wire it direct to a positive feed, then you can switch it on and off independantly. You could wire a switch into this circuit, to make it easier if the switch on the unit won't be accessible.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

"VLC for Windows Store" has a pretty good UI once you start playing music anyway. the play/pause/skip forward/back are nice large buttons.

I have a 10" Lenovo tablet that I've been playing with in the same way as you. I have s/ware that live datalogs from my ECU and can have a dashboard of gauges running.

I have the tablet connected to the stereo via bluetooth but it's purely an audio out, there is no remote control over the tablet so any music skipping would need to be done on the tablet itself. I'm not too fussed about the music as I have an iPod connected too, this was just me tinkering.

Also, check out NAVMII, free satnag software available via the windows store. I've used it my android phone for ages and have it on the tablet now too. It works well.

I couldn't decide how to mount the tablet so I just bought a cheap arm that hooks under the seat mounting bolt but I've had to remove this for now as I have a baby seat in the back which means the passenger front seat has to be moved forwards more than it was.

HTH

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Thanks for the i put guys. If I'm honest an entire car pc setup is pretty overkill, they are very cool though!

Just to make it a bit clearer I'll have the ecu software running and on display whenever the car is running, It'll basically be a screen with a load of gauges on it all the time, this will be the main screen and primary use for the tablet. The more i think about it it would be easier just to have a wee steering wheel remote for the stereo. If i do find myself using the tablet for media or sat nav i'll just have to use the screen (if i can find some sort of controller that would be a bonus but it's looking unlikely). It runs windows 8 superb and as i said it runs the ecu software perfectly too. It's also a perfect fit for a double din :)

Exit: i meant to say the VLC touchscreen is very nice, have you noticed there's no volume control though? It's been the best UI I've seen so far.
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

For a controller, I'd wait to see what this looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QNiZfSsPc0

Might be pretty uneccessary in a year or less.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Haha! I spend more time messing around with this than i would driving!!

Return to “ICE and Security”