side lights work, but dash lights wont, vice versa

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pandes

side lights work, but dash lights wont, vice versa

Post by pandes »

hi guys

ever since i bought my mr2 its had a problem in that the instrument panel lights didnt work
in an attempt to fix this, i have:
1) bought and replaced the old bulbs with new LEDs
2) taken apart the headlight switch, resouldered all souldering points, cleaned all contact points, and made sure the dimmer wheel wasnt cracked.
3) checked all fuses are and relays, all are ok
4) checked all wires, all are ok
5) tightened all connections at the headlight switch so contact is definitely made.

since doing these, there is sign of life with the dash lights coming on if you connect the wires to the headlight switch in a particular way, however, when the dash lights are on, the side lights dont work, and when the side lights are on, the dash lights dont work.

so what im trying to say is that it looks as though i can either have dash lights, or side lights, but not both.

i have searched all over the internet and i cant find anyone with the same problem, i just hoping someone on here can help me.

cheers guys
gnzyza

Re: side lights work, but dash lights wont, vice versa

Post by gnzyza »

Sounds like some wiring may be amiss or connected incorrectly. Your best best is to fault find with a meter and wiring diagram?
pandes

Re: side lights work, but dash lights wont, vice versa

Post by pandes »

i have already done both those things, both of which are consistent with how they are supposed to be in the diagrams.

any other suggestions?
i hope its not something obvious haha

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”