Leak through windscreen vent

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsporter

Leak through windscreen vent

Post by Tsporter »

I have traced my soaking drivers footwell to rain coming in the front windscreen vent. I removed the black grill and can see lots of gunk. I'll take off the wheel arch and try clean it but I assume there'll be a rust hole in the firewall too.

Anyway can I duct tape up the grill hole as a temp measure or will that cause issues?

I'll attach pic belowImage
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Re: Leak through windscreen vent

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

I have this issue currently, yet to investigate! Had all new T-Bar seals and rear qtr windows and new windscreen and toyota windscreen rubber seal, still wet in the footwell! Nice to see I am not the only one. lol! Though not good for you obviously! Keep us updated how you get on with a permanent fix.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

If you've got a rust hole in the skuttle, that sort of tunnel like area where the window wiper assembly goes, good luck in fixing it, without cutting out the top of the skuttle access is neither on impossible. :(
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

I`m hoping mine is going to be something to do with when I had the chargecooler/pipework/rad fitted and all the aircon guff removed, not sure what grommets and holes are down there, seems to be coming in from scuttle panel area and then somewhere in around/behind glove box area then dripping in leaving a small pool in passenger footwell. Only does it when the car is standing too, driving in the rain it does not happen.
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

oukie wrote:If you've got a rust hole in the skuttle, that sort of tunnel like area where the window wiper assembly goes, good luck in fixing it, without cutting out the top of the skuttle access is neither on impossible. :(

If cleaning the drain doesn't help, its probably removing the dash to access it from the inside?
DNOS808

Leak

Post by DNOS808 »

This particular rust spot is a bit of a pain to fix but it can be done. Removing the dash is a long fiddly job but it is not particularly difficult if you take your time. Good luck.
Tsporter

Re: Leak

Post by Tsporter »

DNOS808 wrote:This particular rust spot is a bit of a pain to fix but it can be done. Removing the dash is a long fiddly job but it is not particularly difficult if you take your time. Good luck.

Have you done it? More info please????
Like where is it and how much welding is involved, etc? I haven't had any rust repaired on the car cause this is the first bit I've found.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I've removed the dash before, from memory access is no better, behind the dash is the bulkhead.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
DNOS808

Rust Hole

Post by DNOS808 »

You need to remove the dash because the leak usually comes through a rust hole in the bulkhead.

I had this problem on my car and I removed the dash and found rust holes where the ventilation fan assembly goes through the bulkhead. Repairing them is a devil because gaining access to the rot in front of the bulkhead is difficult. Fortunately the hole for the inlet to the fan allows some access.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”