Help Valuing a Rev 1 Turbo

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kiddo

Help Valuing a Rev 1 Turbo

Post by Kiddo »

Hi all,

Appreciate this not a lot to go by, but I'm after a rough price guide for a rev 1 turbo.

Basically, I got talking to someone at the weekend who happened to have a rev 1 turbo sitting on his drive. He's driven it about to keep it unseized but it's not been on the road for a while. Mileage is fairly low (say 85k miles tops), it's unmodified, good condition on the outside, very clean on the inside with half leather/alcantara so I'd say it's a GT too.

Problem is, when I asked how much he was after for it (and I was persistant!) he kept on saying "make me an offer!". I'm going to see it at the weekend, but I want an idea of price before I go there.

How much do you think I should start at, or what would one roughly go for these days?

Cheers for any comments,

Neil
AdamNye

Re: Help Valuing a Rev 1 Turbo

Post by AdamNye »

Not that im in anyway an expert, but ive been looking for a a Turbo for a little while now trying to find one that ticks all my boxes.

Generally the rev1's start around £3k, so i'd go in at that and see what his face does. Be cheeky if you know him lol. If he's happy then uve got a bargain, if hes not keen it'd be entirely fair to push you upto nearer £4k. But without seeing it its hard to say.

Have you not got any photos you can post to help? Is it an import? Has it a T-Bar? Service history etc...?
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Really £3k for a Rev 1??

I'm not knocking your valuation but I though I'd get about £3k (at a push) for my Rev 2 GTs.
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

Thanks for the responses :thumleft:

Baring in mind this has no MOT and hasn't been on the road for a while... I suppose until I've seen it in the flesh and have an idea how it runs and drives, I won't know if I'm looking at spares or repair money or well-looked-after minter teritory... :-k

Roll on the weekend then..!
AdamNye

Post by AdamNye »

It really depends. There's not a massive difference between the rev1 / rev2's (although i expect someone will disagree). When you're comparing prices between those it seems to be that the millage plays a larger part in dictating the price (and obviously the condition) rather than the rev. Or at least that's just what i've seen in the past couple of months.

It's when you get to rev3+ that it makes a bigger difference because Toyota changed quite a lot (for the better), especially on the Turbo models.

Ah, if it's not got an MOT then there's an opportunity to save some cash there bud!

It really does depend. Ive seen some go for as little as £2k, with high mileage, flakey service history and some bubbling / rust spots. But i've also seen some go for around £4k in really good nick. I thought £3k was a feasible average, but yeah, it could be argued you could go in cheaper for sure. Definitely with no MOT.

The guy's summarised some things to look for when buying in the for sale section. Im not allowed to post URL's yet (lol), just look at the top for "What to Look for When Buying an SW20"

Good luck.

Post some pics : )
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Make him a cheeky offer of 1500 and if he laughs say ok 2G. Then if it is a standard rev 1 anymore than 2.5 grand you may as well look for a rev 3.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I would say 1500 it's been sat not mot 1000-1500
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

I went through the mr2s for sale section and am amazed how cheap some turbos have sold for needing a little work or with no MOT... I suppose it's that unknown factor of how much it could cost to get it on the road.

Well, I'll have a better idea at the weekend...I'm not in any rush for one so I'll stick to my guns price-wise, try not to start too high and maybe get a bargain \:D/

Cheers all :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Kiddo wrote:I went through the mr2s for sale section and am amazed how cheap some turbos have sold for needing a little work or with no MOT... I suppose it's that unknown factor of how much it could cost to get it on the road.

Well, I'll have a better idea at the weekend...I'm not in any rush for one so I'll stick to my guns price-wise, try not to start too high and maybe get a bargain \:D/

Cheers all :thumleft:

i wouldn't..
need any help give me a shout.. (i got the turbo here at the mo if you still not been in one)
steven63

Post by steven63 »

rev1 turbos are worth peanuts, i have seen them at auctions go for less than a grand and be road legal, even the very best rev 1 is not worth more than 2 grand
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

pistol pete wrote:I would say 1500 it's been sat not mot 1000-1500

I'd agree with that, no test drive, no mot, no idea really of how it feels.

Totally different if it can be driven and 'felt'

Who knows, car could be bent or anything else untoward.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I personally would go in starting at 800 and go from there.. but thats me..
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

pistol pete wrote:I personally would go in starting at 800 and go from there.. but thats me..

I wouldn't even go that high, no mot..... start off at £600 max

Pics of the car would make it easier to put a value on it though :wink:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Martin F wrote:
pistol pete wrote:I personally would go in starting at 800 and go from there.. but thats me..

I wouldn't even go that high, no mot..... start off at £600 max

Pics of the car would make it easier to put a value on it though :wink:

that's where I'd be too.. if it's been sat neglected for an amount of time it's going to need an amount of recommissioning, tyres, brakes, X amount of MOT work... you'll easily be into it for £1500+ before it sees the road
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
ads

Post by ads »

I'd echo going in at £600 to shock the owner into letting you know where they really are on price. I was recenty offered a rev 3 turbo that had sat for a year for £1700 : that had some decent aftermarket parts on it and appeared to be well looked after. Rev 1 is worth far less.

Very likely suspension will need attention and some brakes calipers will be now be partially seized, a common issue with these cars. Then its a turbo, so pretty quickly you start spending time and money on something when you should have just bought a decent well sorted car running on the road.

Fact that car is standard spec could be considered an advantage, however proceed with caution. Good luck
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

Thanks for all the replies guys :thumleft:

I'm glad a lot of you were in the same ball park that I had in mind after looking in the for sale section. I don't really want to be spending more than £1200 at this time of year for something that needs work, so I had a starting figure of about £1k in mind, just didn't know if that would be a bit below the belt! Probably going to start a bit lower than that now..!

Oh and cheers for the offer Pete, might just take you up on that in the near future :D
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yup only just saw this..

£600 is bang on.

I bought a rev2 turbo non runner for £600 around a year ago. :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Kiddo wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys :thumleft:

I'm glad a lot of you were in the same ball park that I had in mind after looking in the for sale section. I don't really want to be spending more than £1200 at this time of year for something that needs work, so I had a starting figure of about £1k in mind, just didn't know if that would be a bit below the belt! Probably going to start a bit lower than that now..!

Oh and cheers for the offer Pete, might just take you up on that in the near future :D

Any Joy ???
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

Well, yes and no...

The car must have been standing for around 18 months, judging by the last MOTs mileage and the current mileage being not a lot more. On the plus side, mileage on the clocks was 81k km, but I don't know whether it's been converted.

From the chassis number, it's a rev 2 and looks like a GT. Rev 3 spoiler, so the old spoiler holes have been filled but will need work to the paint as its bubbled off in places.

Cills need a bit of work on one side, paint in general needs a mega claybar and polish session minimum! Drivers door needs replacing...loads of rot.

And then there's the engine bay after cobweb removal...

It's not seized but couldn't get it running off a jump-pack as the battery is goosed.

To be honest, I would take it as it can be saved and I do fancy a turbo project, but it does need a lot of work so my offer price won't be much :pray:
knocker

Post by knocker »

Walk away from this its a money pit, it will cost more than buying a well looked after Rev 3, you will be £1000s out of pocket.

Return to “MR2s for Sale”