SC Battery keeps going flat

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bburn13

SC Battery keeps going flat

Post by bburn13 »

Just got my beauty running nicely again.
Had a problem with the battery keep going flat. So:-
Replaced the battery. .No joy new battery went flat
Took the alternator off, had it rewired etc.. No joy battery still went flat
Replaced the alternator. No easy task for an SC, as they are like hens teeth. Found a company in the US that made one for me. Fitted it .No joy battery still went flat.
So the only choice left was the external regulator and Toyota discontinued those years ago, My mate Julian an engineer and electrician suggested I found something similar with a 6 pin output that he would rewire to suit the Mr2 SC.
So after hours of searching we found a1987 Honda accord external regulator was very similar, and there was one for sale on US eBay so I bought it, Success Julian changed the wires around to fit the SC plug and now feels like a new car again.
So many Thanks Julian. :D
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
kaiowas

Re: SC Battery keeps going flat

Post by kaiowas »

Those external regulators are a PITA. I thihk I have 2 or 3 lying around and I really should check them all to see which ones work as I'm sure I have at least one dead one somewhere but don't know which it is.

Nice to know you've found an alternate source for them though, will bear that in mind in future
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's easier to just fit and wire up a normal alternator that has the regulator built in, saves so much time, money and future hassle.
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

I am having the same problem and not sure what my answer is as it is getting annoying and means I don't use the car as scared of being left stranded.

Paul, can you explain more of what you mean? How do I get an alternator with the regulator built in?
jimi

Post by jimi »

All MK1 alternators apart from the SC have built in voltage regulators.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”