www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [NA] Random amp and alarm issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> ICE and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davsurfa

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: [Mk2] [NA] Random amp and alarm issues Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

To start my car is a '94 G-Limited. I've got a pair of 6x9s set behind my seats instead of a the rear speakers in the door pillars. At the weekend I fitted an amp to "assist" said 6x9s. The amp is a MaystarQXA250 2 channel so not an enormous amount of power but then I only wanna a little help. The 6x9s are Fusion Powerplant. Anyways, all wired in and working sweet.
Then the following day I unlock my car with the key fob remote, never a problem before, but this time the car didn't unlock, the indicators just flashed rapidly and the alarm disarmed. I unlocked it using the key, started the car and drove off. Then I start noticing things. The volt meter drops below halfway for a second when I use the brakes, it bounces when the indicators are on, at a junction when the car is ticking over the rear speakers connected to the amp are cutting in and out like its not getting enough power. Also the alternator belt tends to squeal when I pull away from junctions. When I got home the alarm would set but not lock the doors. I've driven it with the stereo off with not much difference to electric system but I can hear a buzzing from the stereo even though its turned off and the power light on the amp is off.
I've taken the fuse out of the amp power wire and lo and behold the alarm locks and unlocks from the remote again.

This bit may sound stupid but I've got the power lead coming straight from the battery, should I of taken the power from the + in the engine bay??

I'm thinking the amp will be coming back out but I am curious to know where I'm going wrong. Any ideas?
madbasshunter
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 96

1991 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The old Maystar QXA250 is a good amp I have sold and fitted lots of them in the past.
Yes you should go direct to the battery for the main live or you can take it from the passenger footwell where the alternator cable joins the battery cable https://www.dropbox.com/s/tatya749o88n6j9/Power%20passenger%20footwell.jpg?dl=0
The remote wire on the amp should go to the headunit to switch it on and off, and earth to the body.
Have you got pictures of what you have done?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic [Shocked]
Davsurfa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Sorry I haven't responded yet, I've had surgery on my hand so holding a camera is a bit hard at the moment but I'll get some pics as soon as possible
Davsurfa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

OK so I think I've found the problem. The battery was almost flat! My journey to work isn't very far, less than 2 miles, so the alternator wasn't getting to charge it enough.
I took the battery off this morning (that was fun doing it one handed) and put it on charge. Fingers crossed this will sort it. I think when I fitted the the amp I had the doors open, stereo on and off, ignition on and off while I was doing it and if the battery was low anyways it would explain it. I'll fit the battery again in the morning and post the results.
Hopefully I'll be able to drive again tomorrow so I'll be able to try it properly.
Davsurfa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Battery charged, re-fitted, and all is good in the world again! Kinda feel stupid now 😆
Davsurfa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

After driving again, it's back to square one. Battery is fully charged and still behaving the same. Everything worked well before the amp and I got the amp secondhand so I've removed the problem and I figure the amp is FUBAR. That'll teach me not to buy cheap
Davsurfa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So having removed the amp thinking it was the cause of my problems the electrics still messed about sometimes but then at others it would work perfectly. Went to start the car today and just heard a loud click and everything went off, no ignition lights, no dash clock, no radio, couldn't set the alarm. So I pulled the spare out of the front and literally touched the positive terminal and everything came back on. The clamp nut was tight but the 13mm nut on the top which holds the cable to the clamp was loose, it's not anymore!!

This is the bain of my life

Now I'm undecided as to whether to put the amp back in or not
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> ICE and Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: