www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Century Motorsport Drag Car Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles -> Project Cars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Century Motorsport

Feedback Score: 23

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Century Motorsport Drag Car Build Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So after a 6 year sabbatical a mixture of nostalgia and temptation has lured us back into doing another drag car build.

I guess the main reason for this (apart from just enjoying it) was that I felt we didn't the most out of the last build and with such an abrupt end to it, I always felt we could have gone quicker.
So with what we learned along the way with the last car, I'm hoping we can build a better and faster car this time around.

I have to thank some sponsors who have joined us with this project first, as its not a cheap thing to do, so any help is hugely appreciated.

Brian Crower for the off the shelf engine parts
Piper Cams for the camshafts, valve springs and pullies
DP engine parts for the custom engine parts and ancillaries

There are more in the pipeline, but until I have the products, they shall remain un named.

The base car will be our MR2 Mk2 N/A challenge car. It's already been race prepped, with a roll cage. It will be stripped back to a shell and rebuilt.

The engine spec has been pretty much determined with the cam profiles designed and made. The rods are designed and the pistons will be once we have finalised the head design and determined what compression ratio we will run.

I think that the overall power won't be too different from the last drag car, but we are hoping to achieve that without the use of nitrous.

When we decided to go ahead with this project, the aim was to re take the 1/4 mile crown and go sub 9.5 seconds. It seems that this was broken the other day with a 9.3 second pass.

Who knows what we will achieve and I don't want to post numbers that we've just plucked out the sky. As long as it goes faster than the last project, we'll be happy. Anything faster will be a bonus!

I'll update as I go along, but it'll be a fairly slow process. At the moment we are in the parts gathering stage.

The plan is to have the car going up the strip by september next year.

For now, here are some pictures of parts we have collected so far....

Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The new record holder is a Honda K Series swap too - would be great to see the record taken back by a 3S / 5S engine'd car! [thumleft]
Century Motorsport

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So I hear. It's going to be a very tall ask, but we will try!
ashley
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 55

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Tuned in...

How far did you take the shell? Was it dipped, all brackets, spare bolts, etc etc removed?
Ben
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5

1990 Westfield Sei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

YES.

Subscribed [Very Happy]
Century Motorsport

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

My first post reads a bit wrong with regards to the shell.

As it sits now, it's in mr2 challenge spec. It's not been touched for the new project yet.
The plan will be to strip it back to the bare shell and lighten where possible and modify where needed and then get it prepped and painted.

The shell work will start over the winter break I expect.

Priority now is just getting the motor and ancillaries sorted.
jimGTS
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 35

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

[thumleft]
craig
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 141

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Tuned in. [thumleft]
Century Motorsport

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Not a great deal to report. Got some custom exhaust valves via ferrea.

The rods and Pistons are in production and i will be ordering the dry sump kit in the next week or so.

ashley
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Oooo...what's custom about them?
Century Motorsport

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

They are a custom size as they didn't do big enough ones off the shelf [thumleft]
Magic Beans
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 31

1998 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Awesome! [Very Happy] [Very Happy]
ashley
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Nice! [Laughing]
Century Motorsport

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Just got some pictures of the Pistons from the lovely folk at DP engine parts.
They aren't the finished product yet, just a taster.

ashley
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Oooooo...gas port eh?! Very nice, I thought you'd normally have the top rings a bit higher up on the piston with them...so interesting to see.

What rings will you be using, and what will they be made of?

What kind of static compression ratio are you aiming for?
Century Motorsport

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The Pistons were designed by DP engine parts so I've left it in their hands.

Compression ratio will be around 10.5-1
ashley
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Awesome- they do look a proper bit of kit!

This is gonna be very interesting...hope you don't mind sharing details cos I might have a "few" questions [Laughing]
Century Motorsport

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Sure I will where I can [Smile]

I'm not going to give me exact specs of various things, but generally it's nothing too secretive.
ashley
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Progress report please [Angel]
Century Motorsport

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

There's not a lot to report at the moment. A lot is happening, but no pictures to show.

Got some fuel system bits on their way from the states at the minute and a dry sump kit in the process of being made.

The head is away being re worked at the moment.

The pistons are rods are ready, and I've purchased the turbo too.

As far as planning goes, all that's left is the inlet and exhaust manifold.

I've got some sponsorship news to come, I'm just finalising details and then I can do a little announcement.

Work on the car will start during December, so more photos will come soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles -> Project Cars All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: