[Mk2] [Turbo] DEFI DIY wiring

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

parker455

[Mk2] [Turbo] DEFI DIY wiring

Post by parker455 »

Hi guys,

I've got a full set of DEFI gauges, but I REALLY don't want to have to fork out and buy the control unit for them, for simply powering the device.

I've got boost, water temp, oil temp/pressure.

The boost gauge has all the wiring, but the rest don't so I've got to source the sensors etc for them.

For now I'd be happy running just the boost gauge as my current one is playing up, until I get the rest of the sensors sorted.

Can this be DIY'd? Or am I fighting a losing battle?

Cheers,

Tom
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] DEFI DIY wiring

Post by shinny »

As I said on MR2OC...

parker455 wrote:I REALLY don't want to have to fork out and buy the control unit for them, for simply powering the device.

You bought the original Defi Meter gauges, didn't you? Tough luck, I'm afraid! They won't do a thing without the control unit. The control unit is what connects to the sensors, works out what the readings are then then digitally sends them to the gauges. You cannot directly connect the sensors to the gauges, it simply won't work.
parker455

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] DEFI DIY wiring

Post by parker455 »

shinny wrote:As I said on MR2OC...

parker455 wrote:I REALLY don't want to have to fork out and buy the control unit for them, for simply powering the device.

You bought the original Defi Meter gauges, didn't you? Tough luck, I'm afraid! They won't do a thing without the control unit. The control unit is what connects to the sensors, works out what the readings are then then digitally sends them to the gauges. You cannot directly connect the sensors to the gauges, it simply won't work.

Gotcha, just dug out the brand new boost gauge I have and it's the Defi link Meter running off the Control Unit II. Might just bite the bullet and get it, then run the others when I get the sensors through..

Boost gauge is brand new though which is a definite bonus.

Thanks Mark!

Return to “Electrical”