www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Generic] o.e. sub - anyone done a direct replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> ICE and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acf8181
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: [Mk2] [Generic] o.e. sub - anyone done a direct replacement Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Just wondering if anyone has done an upgrade in the standard box?
madbasshunter
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 96

1991 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Like this

5.25" woofer with mdf adapter

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic [Shocked]
Pauln
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 31

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

or this direct replacement:

I lined the stock enclosure inside and out with Vibe sound deadening material to try to lower the resonant frequency of the plastic enclosure, and then fitted a Vibe Slick 5 speaker.

Paul
acf8181
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

madbasshunter wrote:
Like this
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff327/madbasshunter/Purple%20Haze%20MR2/2013-06-28150906_zpsd6b611f4.jpg[/URL]
5.25" woofer with mdf adapter
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff327/madbasshunter/MR2%20Install/2013-06-09155127_zps6b8641e0.jpg[/URL]

yep...what brand sub is that?
acf8181
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

and are you both running off o.e. amp, or an aftermarket?
Pauln
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I've fitted a small Kenwood sub amp in the frunk connected to the line level sub output on my head unit.

This enables me to roll off higher frequencies to try to get the best out of what is quite a small sub unit without having to drive it too hard.

It looks like madbasshunter is using a PYLE PLG54 in his oem sub enclosure.

Paul
madbasshunter
Premium Member

1991 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yes it is a Pyle PLG54 Paul

I ran it off the factory amp (so at half power as 4ohm load not 2ohm), it was only run for a few minutes as a trial before I put this in

as I like more bass than a 5.25 can manage

The amps are in the boot

but are removed at the minute as I have a bigger amp going in for the sub 1000w rms at 1 ohm instead of the 500w rms one
acf8181
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Got one of those pyle subs, but not good running it on o.e. amp

Would an aftermarket amp fit under a seat does anyone know?
2mad
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 20

1990 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

madbasshunter wrote:
Yes it is a Pyle PLG54 Paul

I ran it off the factory amp (so at half power as 4ohm load not 2ohm), it was only run for a few minutes as a trial before I put this in

as I like more bass than a 5.25 can manage

The amps are in the boot

but are removed at the minute as I have a bigger amp going in for the sub 1000w rms at 1 ohm instead of the 500w rms one

Mega stuff mbh [Smile] .. love your work [thumleft] .. stock alternator??
Pauln
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

acf8181 wrote:

I think you's struggle to find an amp thin enough to fit under the seats, there's really not much height there. Plus it's always a good idea to make sure air can pass around the amp.

Most people seem to fit amps on the rear firewall in the cabin or in the frunk.

Paul
2mad
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Pauln wrote:
acf8181 wrote:

I think you's struggle to find an amp thin enough to fit under the seats, there's really not much height there. Plus it's always a good idea to make sure air can pass around the amp.

Most people seem to fit amps on the rear firewall in the cabin or in the frunk.

Paul

I fitted an amp .. an apline 3539 under one seat and vibes biggest amp under the other .. plus a big power cap and 5.50" iirr vibe front and rear .. sounded mad with a alpine type r sub in the back .

Be creative mate [thumleft]
acf8181
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So there's plenty of room then 2mad?! [Shocked] [Laughing]

Won't be anything like as adventurous for me, smaller the better!
2mad
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

acf8181 wrote:
So there's plenty of room then 2mad?! [Shocked] [Laughing]

Won't be anything like as adventurous for me, smaller the better!

Mine fitted .. maybe a little scrap on the vibe amp .. not a problem ... had pic or two on my old laptop but it died [Sad]

My amps were pretty big and they went under the seats ok .
Pauln
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Just goes to show how wrong you can be [Laughing]

I had originally hoped to fit my small Kenwood sub amp under the seat, but just couldn't make it fit without jamming when the seat slid backwards. I should have bought a Vibe, and saved myself a lot of work.

Paul
2mad
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Pauln wrote:
Just goes to show how wrong you can be [Laughing]

I had originally hoped to fit my small Kenwood sub amp under the seat, but just couldn't make it fit without jamming when the seat slid backwards. I should have bought a Vibe, and saved myself a lot of work.

Paul

Not sure if that was sarcasm Paul .. but my alpine 3539 and vibe under the passenger seat fitted fine .. maybe a little scrape on the vibe , nothing magor though [Anxious]
Pauln
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

No it wasn't sarcasm, not my style.

I bought a Kenwood amp in he hope that I could fit it under the seat, but no matter how much I fiddled with it I couldn't make it work. So ended up having to make a suitable panel and fit it in the frunk, which with my very basic woodworking skills took a lot more time to sort.

Sorry if I came across badly, I didn't mean to.

Paul
2mad
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Pauln wrote:
No it wasn't sarcasm, not my style.

I bought a Kenwood amp in he hope that I could fit it under the seat, but no matter how much I fiddled with it I couldn't make it work. So ended up having to make a suitable panel and fit it in the frunk, which with my very basic woodworking skills took a lot more time to sort.

Sorry if I came across badly, I didn't mean to.

Paul

Aw my bad sorry mate .. my amps are quite big but very low profile so just fitted with a little scrape .. wish i still had the pics put alot of work into it .. ill see if there still on my old phones memory card , never know .. sorry again [Embarassed]
madbasshunter
Premium Member

1991 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I fitted a turbo alternator and added 0gauge wiring to it 2Mad

Have always found under the seat very shallow on the mr2, I did try fitting a vibe optima underseat sub

but it lifted the seat so it couldn't be bolted down

2mad
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

0gauge wiring ftw mbh [thumleft] .. nice [Very Happy]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> ICE and Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: