[Mk2] [Turbo] Red engine fan warning symbol

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bigal

[Mk2] [Turbo] Red engine fan warning symbol

Post by bigal »

Can someone help.......After solving my dodgy alternator wiring problem and having enjoyed a few weeks driving I now have a new problem.....I've got the red engine fan warning symbol come up on the dash.
If I disconnect the sensor on the engine lid with the engine running nothing happens but if I disconnect the sensor with the key out of the ignition and then put the key in the ignition and turn it the fan comes on and stays on after I've started the engine.

As usual all and any advice would be greatly appreciated and will help your karma enormously.
Last edited by bigal on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigal

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Red engine fan warning symbol

Post by bigal »

Is it worth checking the 3 wires to the alternator again?
Could it be the black/yellow wire to the alternator plug, or rather the wire that I bypassed the black/yellow wire with?
bigal

Post by bigal »

Just out of interest, how long do we think we can keep these cars going before they break down irretrievably from electrical problems, can't see any of these modernish wonders being in anyone's collections in 100 years time, unlike the simpler models from 50/100 years ago.
bigal

Post by bigal »

Anyone got an engine bay sensor that they don't want that I could try to see if it's that?
bigal

Post by bigal »

Had a fiddle around with the relay,sensor and fuses, went for a drive and no red engine fan symbol on, got back home and it came back on.

ANYBODY HERE?
bigal

Post by bigal »

Nobody knows anything................
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

I've a spare sensor you can have im assuming it's the pointy black denso one that goes on the engine lid?

You need to be more methodical in your fiddling to rule things out but id be suspecting a loose connection somewhere possibly the alternator plug as it's been disturbed recently
bigal

Post by bigal »

thomp1983 wrote:I've a spare sensor you can have im assuming it's the pointy black denso one that goes on the engine lid?

You need to be more methodical in your fiddling to rule things out but id be suspecting a loose connection somewhere possibly the alternator plug as it's been disturbed recently

Thank you for your reply, it is indeed the pointy black denso one

I'll check the connector at the alternator and check the voltages of the three wires..........pm'ed concerning the sensor.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Check wire to the engine bay fan would be where i'd look....easy to knock whilst doing alt i would've thought (could have been very deteriorated inside)
bigal

Post by bigal »

acf8181 wrote:Check wire to the engine bay fan would be where i'd look....easy to knock whilst doing alt i would've thought (could have been very deteriorated inside)

But when I disconnect the sensor and turn on the ignition the fan turns on, so does this mean the wiring to the fan is ok?
bigal

Post by bigal »

Tried another sensor, kindly donated by Thomp1983 but re light still coming on and fan not turning on when sensor is immersed in just-boiled water.

Went to the car today and battery wouldn't turn the engine over so parasitic drain somewhere?
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Just a short note: The light also comes on if you have the polarity reversed on an aftermarket (spal or similar) fan.
bigal

Post by bigal »

[quote="mr2magic"]Just a short note: The light also comes on if you have the polarity reversed on an aftermarket (spal or similar) fan.[/quote

thanks but not applicable.]
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

bigal wrote:Is it worth checking the 3 wires to the alternator again?
Could it be the black/yellow wire to the alternator plug, or rather the wire that I bypassed the black/yellow wire with?

Yes.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bigal

Post by bigal »

Right, I've been having another look around.
I changed the sensor again and with the ignition on but the engine not running when I immerse the sensor in just-boiled water I can hear the relay click and the fan turns on but with the engine running the fan doesn't come on but the fan warning light comes on the dash.
Any ideas before I torch it. #-o
bigal

Post by bigal »

Replaced the relay or whatever in the boot, still the same, so going to run the car with the sensor disconnected and the fan on all the time.
Got the car up on the ramps to check the 3 wires to the alternator, these seemed fine but noticed I've still got a horrible oil leak after replacing the cam cover gasket and the distributor O ring.
Anyway I'm off to Spain soon until next May so the car will be in the garage until then.
I've had the car for 10 years now and I do love it but at the age of 63 I don't really enjoy working on it any more and so have been thinking of selling it and getting a newer car, maybe a Nissan 350z or an MX5.
Either that or I entrust my car to a garage or someone on here to do me a complete refreshing service/engine rebuild with new seals, all new belts and any wiring issues sorted.
If anyone could suggest anyone who could do this work I would be grateful.
Also contemplating a forged rebuild with all necessary ancillaries or going the whole hog with a GR2-FE engine replacement.
bigal

Post by bigal »

Losing the love for this car.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

bigal wrote:Losing the love for this car.

It happens. Sometimes its better to cough up and get the problem sorted out by a pro.

I see Rouge gets great write ups, are they near you?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

bigal wrote:Replaced the relay or whatever in the boot, still the same, so going to run the car with the sensor disconnected and the fan on all the time.
Got the car up on the ramps to check the 3 wires to the alternator, these seemed fine but noticed I've still got a horrible oil leak after replacing the cam cover gasket and the distributor O ring.
Anyway I'm off to Spain soon until next May so the car will be in the garage until then.
I've had the car for 10 years now and I do love it but at the age of 63 I don't really enjoy working on it any more and so have been thinking of selling it and getting a newer car, maybe a Nissan 350z or an MX5.
Either that or I entrust my car to a garage or someone on here to do me a complete refreshing service/engine rebuild with new seals, all new belts and any wiring issues sorted.
If anyone could suggest anyone who could do this work I would be grateful.
Also contemplating a forged rebuild with all necessary ancillaries or going the whole hog with a GR2-FE engine replacement.

We are doing a number of engine rebuilds this winter and could fits your in if that is the way you want to go.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bigal

Post by bigal »

aussieGT wrote:
bigal wrote:Losing the love for this car.

It happens. Sometimes its better to cough up and get the problem sorted out by a pro.

I see Rouge gets great write ups, are they near you?

You're right, yes Rogue are quite close, Coventry.

Return to “Electrical”