Beams engine in UK 93 rev2 non turbo.

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BALDYMONSTER

Beams engine in UK 93 rev2 non turbo.

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Beams engine for sale here:

http://www.nipponautospares-onlinestore ... -394-p.asp

Can this be fitted to my car?

Is it worth it?

Easy swap or nightmare?

Scope for tuning?
PW@Woodsport

Re: Beams engine in UK 93 rev2 non turbo.

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I've never really understood the Beams as a viable option given their cost and the fact a 3s-gte exists.... just seems pointless when there is a cheaper more powerful alternative.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

£1900 plus fitting... that'd get you a half decent 3Sgte, and the rest of the car attached to it.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Paul, can you pm me with costs for a rev3 turbo conversion please mate?
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

bump
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Sorry mate i stopped doing 3s-gte conversions some time ago, the donor engines are just too old now (newest ones are 16 years old) and i cannot warranty anything unless it gets a full rebuild and all new ancilliaries.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Hey baldy, why don't you go 2gr or 1mz? They should put some hair on your chest.
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

"2gr and 1mz"???
craig

Post by craig »

3.0 (1MZ) and 3.5 (2GR) V6s.
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Is the 2gr 3.5 not a lot more hassle to fit and get sorted properly?
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

BALDYMONSTER wrote:Is the 2gr 3.5 not a lot more hassle to fit and get sorted properly?

Not if you get woodsport to do it. Does it cost quite a bit more? Yes, sourcing the engine in this country is not cheap.

Does the 2gr give stupid amounts of torque that is so lazily delivered by the engine that unless abused and neglected is shouldn't (touch wood) fail without some weird reason?

Yes. IMO the 2gr gives more than enough power to the sw platform.

Does the 1mz give good torque at more reasonable money? I'd say yes, but I haven't driven a 1mz.
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Thanks mate,

Back to the beams for a bit, can this just be dropped in plug and play?

Or what if anything needs changed?

I know I keep going on about different engines but there are so many different options, reasons, benefits and such.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

it's as much of a conversion as any other engine, you need the ecu, the loom needs to be adapted, intake, exhaust and a minor change to the dials.
for 23hp over the stock rev3, it's a small gain for a large amount of effort. for the same money the 1mz can be done which has 2hp more than the beams but a whopping 60lbs of torque more.

If you want to stay 2.0L and NA then the beams is an option. it revs faster than the normal 3sge and with throttle bodies can make a little more power. it's one of those engines that needs to live at the high end to make it work. thing is that small amount extra is hard to notice when driving.

looked into it in a big way years ago but didn't go for it in the end. huge amount of money for 23hp. which in a turbo can be had for turning the boost up from stock to 1bar.

how about a gen4 turbo? 260hp stock, cheaper than the beams - just. many of the normal 3sgte upgrade parts fit for future mods. there are a loads of parts you need for the conversion but that's the same with most of them.
it's a higher compression turbo engine so is responsive when off boost, has a small turbo for quick spool up, fuel cut is 22psi but most people run lower pressure than that. they can make 300hp with just a couple of mods and some extra boost over stock.

the v6 engines are a nice route though, effortless torque and thus speed with the 2gr. think 350z power in a mr2.

could prob get a turbo diesel engine in there, loads of torque, coal rolling if wanted, cheap on fuel and the engine would be cheap.

The cost of the engine is only 1 part of any conversion

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”