Timing Belt Change, problem with idler pulley

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ldavies83

Timing Belt Change, problem with idler pulley

Post by ldavies83 »

I'm having a pig of a job trying to loosen off the idler pulley to fit the belt.

I'm in the middle of the cars first big service, plugs/cap/rotor arm/timing belt/water pump/idler pulley/oil/coolant flush and I'm stuck :(

My idler pulley has an odd spike type nut and bolt arrangement, they b1tch is it seems to be a type of torx nut. Now I have a set of deep torx bits, I can slide the right size bit on, but there is absolutely no chance of me being able to put a ratchet on the back of it. I've tried holding the bit in place and using some adjustable pliers against the bit to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas on how to remove this piggin bolt as I wanna drive again!

Thanks in advance guys and gals
feral4mr2

Re: Timing Belt Change, problem with idler pulley

Post by feral4mr2 »

i use a 10mm 12 point ring spanner (the ring end), though a little tight down there it works fine.
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

:-k I dont hold out much hope, I've tried that and it just wouldnt budge. P.s. nice car, just read it through. My life..... subs in the frunk ported into the cabin :shock: I was impressed!
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

yes it can be a tight MOFO, but if you get another ring spanner onto the end of the 10mm it will give you better leverage and you'll 'crack' it in no time.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

I bought a deep socket from Halfords an cut a bit off so as to fit the ratchet on it was only £3.99. by the way are you using 3/8 drive 'cause 1/2" will never go on
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Yes, mine is 1/2" drive, I dont even know whether I have 3/8" drive!

Thanks for your help guys, I think I may need to just carry on hammering on, :-k Think I'd better order a replacement bolt from Toyota!
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Just ordered a replacement bolt if the worst happens, £1.07 for a replacement bolt, expensive, but its better than a slap in the face with a wet kipper methinks!
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

ldavies83 wrote:Yes, mine is 1/2" drive, I dont even know whether I have 3/8" drive!

Thanks for your help guys, I think I may need to just carry on hammering on, :-k Think I'd better order a replacement bolt from Toyota!
1/2 inch drive is no good at all for MK1 mr2's infact when i was a Snap-on dealer the only people using 1/2 inch were bus mechanics and HGV you seriously need to invest in some 3/8 Halfords stuff is pretty good these days and lifetime garantee
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

I've just found in the past that my tiny ratchet (cant remember shaft size) absolutely brilliant for most difficult areas on the MR2, cracks anything loose, however its that pin that causes the problems. I think your right though, My 1/2" and 3/4" sets are handy for the mini digger and dumper :lol: :lol:
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Thanks for the help, turns out a squirt if WD40 and a nights rest and the bolt came off first strong tug!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”