My photos + videos from Le Mans 2015

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

synXero

My photos + videos from Le Mans 2015

Post by synXero »

First of all, another thank you to Peter and Carol for inviting Mark and myself on the trip this year. It was awesome.

I thought I'd compile my pictures (and videos eventually) to share with everyone :thumleft: I've pruned it down a lot... Here goes

Day 1 - Edinburgh to Portsmouth

An early start for us in Scotland. 5am the garage door rolls open...

By about 10:30, we've made it to Barnsley and met with Peter and his wife Carol for the first time.

Gradually we collect everyone else on the motorway toward Portsmouth, or we meet them once we get there. At the last minute, Mark and I miss the lane choice that Peter and the other guys in front have taken. We end up HUSTLING it through Portsmouth town centre (I hope I didn't set off too many OAP heart attacks...) and make it to the ferry just in time.

Set sail!

Day 2 - Landed in Santander
The 23-hour ferry was perfectly pleasant. Even the cheapest rooms on board are perfectly good and there's enough variety in the food you can get, so it was doable. Once.

Once we'd arrived in Santander, it was as usual when arriving by ferry, more or less straight onto the motorway. The Spanish motorways really are something.

A quick stop -

The sweeping motorways of the north of Spain are incredible. Great big arcing curves that cut through mountains in kilometre-long tunnels (oh the tunnels), then bright turquoise lakesides and beautiful mountain views. All accompanied by nice warm air.

By the end of the day we reached Arganzon - the first stop. A lovely medieval town some way on the Spanish side of the pyrenees, and Peter's experience in planning this trip meant we had a reserved car parking area and no stresses. We did make an awful lot of noise and block up the streets for a while mind you.

Once we were settled in to rooms (lovely) it was down to the plaza for beers, chats, and two kids belting a football against some very medieval looking goal posts...

The hotel lobby -

The group, in the square -

Our bedroom view at 3/4am - I didn't sleep well at all
synXero

Re: My photos + videos from Le Mans 2015

Post by synXero »

Day 3 - Arganzon to the French border, and Le Picors

After a fantastic meal put on by the local restaurant the night before, we had a more modest continental breakfast in the morning and set about moving out of the hotel. A thoroughly enjoyable night's stay, and a place which could certainly be counted on in future for another Euro trip.

Unfortunately, a common issue was beginning to recur. That of the overheating MR2! We had a particularly unfortunate moment, pulling over our convoy of 7 on the roadside. Lovely weather, though. High vis jackets all round.

I can't remember if we'd crossed the French border in the mountains or not by this point - but a beautiful stop for lunch, and a truly Gumball-class parking arrangement right opposite the food was a notable moment. What a view.

Day 3 being the Sunday - the mountain passes we covered were very busy. It was an enjoyable cruise up and down, but no real testing of the cars performance unfortunately. With so many bikers, caravans, cyclists, and other cars - it was much more about enjoying the scenery and the temperature.

The final mountain of the day was Col D'Aubisque. It's a beautiful twisty mountain pass with a great surface on the road. Peter led the convoy in the Noble, Craig followed in the black MR2, and I was behind him. There's a video of the ascent from my car:

Video of Col D'Aubisque: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0YAawXHh-A

Unfortunately, Aubisque took its prisoners. We lost the Aston's gearbox, which decided it had had enough in the car park at the top of the mountain, and several cars spat their coolant all over the ground, but could simply be topped up with water. Mercifully, the Corvette soldiered on. I did find later that night that the coolant level looked a little low, mind you.

Anyway, some photos!

Dave picking the extreme angles -

I set off behind Pete on the way down and we stepped on it a bit more, now that the roads were getting quieter. A video of this is uploading now!

The hotel 'Picors' was the end of the road for the night. A beautiful spot with great views... and great beers.

Day 4 - Picors to Saint-Emilion
Another smashing night, absolutely perfectly clear (although with sadly too much light pollution to get great star pics) and great food. Breakfast was nice, lots to choose from.

And what a view, at 5 or 6am -

The recurring theme of morning maintenance!!! Everyone checking coolant levels...

Day 4 - Monday - was brilliant. Unfortunately Wayne and Rob in the Aston had to miss this one, a real downer. We tackled several EXCELLENT passes, but the highlight of them all for me was Luz Ardiden.

It's a pass up to a ski resort. One road in, one road out. And in summer... Not an awful lot of interest! We had it more or less to ourselves. Peter led the run and I followed in behind. Quite quickly, we decided to test the cars out a bit more and really hot footed it up. I have a brilliant video of this that I need to edit and upload. A lot of hairpin powerslides!! This was probably the drivers' high point of the trip.

To the victors go the spoils -

We also booted it back down - and I have a video of that, too...

Anyway, we continued the cruise toward Le Mans with a climb up the highest of all the passes, Col Du Tourmalet. It is famous for its part in the Tour de France and as such, attracted a lot of cyclists and bikers and other drivers. It's well provided for at the summit, with a cafe and so on. Completely in contrast to Luz Ardiden which felt almost as though, on that day, it was there only for us.

At the summit -

On the route down, heading off and away from the Pyrenees ( :( ), I stuck the GoPro inside Dave (l1ca)'s car and got some footage and noise from his driving.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmkBvGKm_5w

At the end of the day, after covering so many mountain passes, we made it down to the Ibis hotel, away from the mountains and through the vineyards of Bordeaux. A sad moment, but it was time for the next stage of the trip.

And to perk us all up again, Wayne and Rob had beaten us to the hotel, and picked up a real like for like replacement...

Saint-Emilion would be the home for the night, a cracking town and a really excellent meal too.

Last edited by synXero on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Day 5 - Saint-Emilion to Le Mans
As we trundled off northwards to Le Mans, we made the usual motorway pit stops. One particularly notable one was in "Les Maisons Blanche", what is essentially the equivalent of a UK motorway truckers' cafe. But WOW - the food on offer! Not a shitty sandwich in sight! We had a full three courser - buffet below, then a hot food plate, then cheeses etc. if you wanted them (Peter never says no to a plate of cheese)

By late afternoon, we had made it to Le Mans. After getting into the campsite, it was time to start putting up tents. Trevor joined us at this point in the black 993, unfortunately unable to have made the full road trip prior.

With the essentials unloaded, tents put up, and beers purchased, it was a night of chilling out and getting chatting. BBQ built and lit, a great evening.

Day 6 - life at the circuit!
Because we had arrived at Le Mans so early, the campsite was almost empty, and the public road sections of the circuit were still public roads... Peter took us out to drive the Mulsanne straight, take Indianapolis corner, and so on. We got in a tangle with a couple of Ferraris and Porsches - a great experience. Definitely one of those 'moments' for any petrolhead.

Then it was back to the circuit. More and more stalls, lounges, bars, shops and so on were opening up in the 'Village'. The Audi lounge hosted an old champion, not dissimilar to the car that would be racing in a few days:

There was the new Cayman GT4 - sadly all sold out...

And an incredible half-lego 911 RSR!

A ridiculously photogenic dog, in one of the bars

And shops selling the ultimate Corvette-driver's accessories...

Having explored more or less all of the circuit and village, we spotted an area off-limits. Just to the rear of the paddocks and by extension, the pit straight, a well-guarded area which you needed different passes to get into. We caught glimpse of a dozy guard and four of us managed to sneak past! Autographs and drivers all round, we got to paparazzi'ing, and generally feeling like naughty children. A real good laugh.

We pushed our luck more and more until we made it to the balcony immediately above the pit straight. A fantastic view of the pre-race testing going on with the cars, you could see right down onto them and into the garages, hear them firing up whenever the team was ready to send it out.

Our adrenaline peaked - it was tricky even getting out of this area, as we didn't have the passes to get past the guards even to leave - we headed back to camp eventually. Mark and Wayne managed to blag their way past one guard whilst Rob and I held him up in confused pigeon French, before realising we were then stuck alone. Eventually we made it out... And back to camp for a bite and a beer.

The recently-engaged! Ian proposed to Mia on the trip in the mountains. Apparently they celebrate that with pine cones in England?

Wayne on the phone to the Aston Martin recovery guys

A neighbour in the campsite who had split a driveshaft already... I wonder how...

With it repaired...

Finally, to top the night off, we headed back to the circuit for a bit of testing. Peter is a font of knowledge for Le Mans and really added to the experience for me. Thanks again.

Last edited by synXero on Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Day 7 - Open Pitlane!

Another trundle round the village in the morning revealed more shops and suchlike opening. The Corvette stand featured the new C7 Z06

But the key interest today was the open pitlane. It was a public chance to wander amongst the race cars whilst they were stripped down, talk to the engineers, take pictures, and absorb the ambience of actually being on the track, and next to the cars.

We also had our first chance to visit a museum which had been closed previously - Ferrari and Ford of the 60s at Le Mans. Absolutely fascinating for anyone who's seen the likes of the old P3 and P4 Ferraris, and of course the era-defining Ford GT.

As per usual, the day ended with getting half-cut and eating BBQ. Bliss.

Day 8 - the Driver's Parade
A chance encounter early in the day, on the roads outside the circuit, with another C5 Corvette done up to the 9s in racing livery and even a wide arch kit!

Later we took the trip via the tram into town, to see the driver's parade. A somewhat slow paced event which we didn't stay until the end of - it drags a bit - but great to see the drivers up close and catch as much merch / advertising from each team as you can. Managed a cap and lots of posters etc., sadly no t-shirts!

The trophy -

Le Mans cathedral -

And the road home - probably the loudest tram I've ever been on, courtesy of some extremely pi$$ed Brits...

Day 8 was of course Friday... Mad Friday. We were up for a long, long time. There were loads of parties in the campsite, some good, some not so good... The less said about that the better!!!!!!
Last edited by synXero on Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Day 9 - Race begins, Saturday

Mad Friday took a lot from some of us. It took our dignity. Unfortunately it also took the last hopes from under John's MR2. After a night of heavy, heavy rain it wasn't looking good, firing on one cylinder, dousing fuel, the whole lot. We spent a good while on it in the morning, swapping components from other MR2s and brainstorming.

Ultimately, we didn't really get anywhere, and Mark and I set off to watch the start of the race as we were no longer being useful.

By this point the cars had already tested and qualified for positions, so a shock was already afoot - Porsche were leading the field, the first time Audi have not led the field since 2003 (barring one year in 2009)!

The race would start at 3pm. The cars had to warm up the tyres and so on, so a 'parade' lap of sorts occurs, carefully timed, and before that a general warmup wiggly lap. First thing, straight out of the pits, one of the Rebellion cars spins and goes right into the gravel! It's hilarious because they were travelling so slowly. Unfortunately it's a pretty accurate display of how well they will do this year though!!

The laps get underway though, barring the gravel trap now spread across the tarmac.

Eventually they call time and get it swept up -

And the cars are back out for the parade lap, timed to perfection, such that the first car crosses the start line at a rolling start at 15:00 exactly.

The crowd in our Dunlop grandstand cheer loudly as, even for many regulars, this must be the first time they've ever seen the race NOT lead by Audi into the first turn!

The cars still spin out though!

After a few hours, it all gets too much for the oldies and they catch some flies together.

By this point, we've watched 5 hours or racing or so. We get out to stretch the legs and explore the other car park / camping fields we haven't been to.

RSOLE -

And back to our own for dinner

Before - you guessed it - evening racing!

As the light fades, it gets really atmospheric.

After a long while, we head back to camp for some more rest. The plan is to set off to a spot Peter knows late at night, to watch the cars as they complete the Mulsanne straight. We get there around 2, and leave around 3am, having spent an hour or more in the forest right next to the circuit. The noise and atmosphere here is incredible. Unlike anything I've ever heard, and totally different to the atmosphere in the circuit. It's very chilled out, not too many people, all just sitting on the grass revelling in the machinery flying past. You can feel that everyone on that mound is a real petrolhead right into their gut.

Day 10 - Race ends, Sunday
Despite not being asleep before 4, you wake up at 9 when the day gets bright. But the downside to being groggy and not well-rested is that you do stupid things... Like lock your only set of car keys inside the boot of your car... With the doors closed... And the windows up... On race day... Only a matter of hours before the race finishes...

We sit around at camp in the morning, me cursing myself, everyone else offering their best suggestions at how to deal with the scenario. I resolve that I am prepared to break my driver's side window if I must and drive home with no glass. But, seeing as I paid £80 or so for euro breakdown cover, I might as well at least phone the RAC. If it's going to be a broken window, better that they do it with the right tool than me with my foot.

Mark and I set off for the circuit again and await a phone call. Eventually, about 2 hours before the race is due to finish (NERVES!) I get a call - the guys are outside the campsite. They are of course masters of their trade and solve the problem very simply and with no damage to my car - just my ego. I thank them profusely, and highlight to them that now that they're in our campsite, they're technically circuit-side... Go watch the end of the race lads :thumleft:

Unfortunately, John's car's on-going symptoms are too much to deal with with no tools and no spares. It joins the Aston and is repatriated on a flat-bed trailer. As Dave and Craig did not come to the race - only the drive - we are now down to only 3 of our original 7 cars in the convoy home.

Still - the Corvette won its class, Porsche won Le Mans, and we had an amazing weekend.

I absolutely cannot wait to do the trip again some day.

Thank you to everyone who came with us :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Well put together Calum. A thoroughly enjoyable read. Thanks for taking the time to compose that lot, and being part of an epic trip!

Shame you're not going next year!
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Epic replay of all the trials, tribulation and elation on the trip. Very good buddy.
Was MR2Turbo1991, but now changed name.

5SGTE Forged Build 2011/12
Build Thread: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... nniversary
synXero

Post by synXero »

Thanks lads, it was a privilege to meet you both and your passengers :thumleft:

Wayne - get Rob to get those tunnel videos sorted, I want to hear them through proper speakers!

Dave / l1ca - cruising down Col Du Tourmalet in the championship white MR2 Turbo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmkBvGKm_5w

Definitely put it in 1080p - I spent long enough uploading it!!!
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Will do and same to you guys. :thumleft:

largie009

Post by largie009 »

epic read. cant believe ive only just seen this. i was there this year also in my 2!! shame i didnt see you down there, would of said hello. only saw 2 other mr2's the whole week.
were abouts were you staying in lemans?
(i would upload some pictures but still have no idea how hahaha)
largie009

Post by largie009 »

epic read. cant believe ive only just seen this. i was there this year also in my 2!! shame i didnt see you down there, would of said hello. only saw 2 other mr2's the whole week.
were abouts were you staying in lemans?
(i would upload some pictures but still have no idea how hahaha)
largie009

Post by largie009 »

p.s. i really want that black rev 3+ toms spoiler haha
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Epic trip and well put together really easy to read :thumleft:

Can I ask which model go pro you have please?
I am looking for one to film travelling and for myself a friend to shoot some car footage (onboard and exterior mounted).
I enjoyed the descents did you have an external mic?
Also did you take photos with the GoPro?

I'm trying to figure our if I should go for yhe latest model (silver though) so I will only have to travel with that and can leave digital camera at home.

Regards,
Dan
synXero

Post by synXero »

Hi Dan thanks for the comment. I use an old out of date GoPro Hero2 because I didn't want to throw a huge amount of money at it. I have since used it snowboarding and driving mostly. I used it for some photography when climbing crib goch and snowdon in the sun.

For videos of driving, with the addition of a lapel mic (£20) it is ace.

For snowboarding video etc. it is great so long as you have a waterproof case.

For intermittent / one every minute photos of driving it's good but not really all that. The wide angle effect is fun sometimes.

For point and shoot photography it is kind of crap. It does do it, but it auto focuses (very wide depth of field) and exposes (which is the problem). You don't always know what it has focused on so your picture can be really blown out. Equally you can frame your pic really badly because there's no viewfinder. It is no replacement for a DSLR or even really an iPhone for photos.

It is brilliant for driving videos though. And cheap at about £150 all in when I bought it, Hero 2 with Motorsport kit / attachments and a lapel mic bought after.
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Hey Calum,

I meant to ask the same thing about the go pro. It was great footage. I did crib goch myself a month ago. Just got back from climbing crough Patrick last weekend. We need to organise some mountain drive and climb.... :thumleft:

DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Thank you Calum that has really helped me make my choice.
I have purchased a second hand one with accessories for helmet/car mounts, chest harness, handlebar mount and floating case. Same price as a second hand 4 with no accesories so happy with that.
I will take 'suicide' iPhone with me on my travels after you mentioned the crap pic quality and googling confirmed this.
Looking forward to making some car videos with hopefully awesome sounds if I get a external mic.
Cheers again for your review and taking the time to do the lemans write up.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Awesome write up!

What wheels are on the white mr2? Are they rotas?
craig

Post by craig »

Gee Man wrote:

What wheels are on the white mr2? Are they rotas?

Genuine Desmond Regamasters :thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Memories!

:(
craig

Post by craig »

synXero wrote:Memories!

:(

Definitely mate. Was a great trip. :thumleft: