www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Better air intake temp sensor and positioning.Results page 6.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimGTS
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 35

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

This is confusing because the end of this thread is referring to an aftermarket gauge and sensor.

Which is what the links are referring to (one is egt, one is an actual air temp sensor).
Neither are being used to replace the stock sensor.

The beginning of the thread is indeed talking about the faster responding sensor to replace the stock sensor. Personally I've no way to monitor it.

Are the oem replacement ones still available, I'm sure they are I can't for life of me remember what exact model they are though sorry.

Ashley did some adapters I'm sure he'll know the adapter threads.
kirk

Feedback Score: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Probably my bad for not being more specific. I was indeed talking about the sensor from the first half of the discussion.

I believe I've found the part Rob bought. I'll now source and adaptor from Ashley if I can.

[thumleft]
C35Rob
Premium Member

1996 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The adapter is simple to make, buy one brass m16 bung/blank, drill out the centre out to 8.8mm (9 will do if that's all you have) and tap it to the thread of the triumph sensor (m10x1.25). If you have access to a small vice and a hand drill you can make in in about 5 mins.

All described in detail on page 2, sadly the pics are gone thanks to photobucket
jon
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 15

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The problem with the fast reacting sensor is that it's quite a bit shorter then the stock sensor:

I have a modified stock ECU that I can toggle a switch to make it run on open loop mode on demand. I saw that without the lambda sensor feedback the ECU ran widely lean at idle and cruise on the fast sensor when the engine is heat soaked. The stock sensor was a fair bit better.

My theory is that the fast sensor's tip is too close to the metal of the manifold, so it picks up the heat of manifold more than the stock sensor.
kirk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I can see how your theory could be quite accurate. It is a fair bit shorter.

My dilemma is I'll be running meth injection in the coming months and from what I'm lead to believe the stock sensor is too slow to adjust so I'm looking for "drop in" alternatives and this seemed like the ideal solution.
C35Rob
Premium Member

1996 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Interesting, For what it's worth I didn't notice that trend on my car running a power fc with O2 feedback control permanently turned off.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 202

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

kirk wrote:
I can see how your theory could be quite accurate. It is a fair bit shorter.

My dilemma is I'll be running meth injection in the coming months and from what I'm lead to believe the stock sensor is too slow to adjust so I'm looking for "drop in" alternatives and this seemed like the ideal solution.

Locate the sensor somewhere else maybe ? I welded a bung into the chargecooler pipes after the throttle body in mine. That also makes a huge difference with the sensor getting heat soak as well.
kirk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Interestingly enough on the Gen 5 manifold the IAT is fitted here.

Wonder whether this location makes a difference.

Either way, I've ordered the sensor now so I'll give it a go and see how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: