[Mk2] [Turbo] Electrical gremlins visitation.

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bigal

[Mk2] [Turbo] Electrical gremlins visitation.

Post by bigal »

I'm hoping someone can help me who has experienced the same situation.
I went for a spin this evening in my mr2 turbo and when I started it and it had warmed up to normal temperature I noticed that the revs were up to 1k on tickover whereas it normally goes down to 900 rpm. Anyway I got to the pub, had a pint and started back and the radio started turning on and off on its own accord. I got back home , only a journey of about 4 miles and as I pulled up in front of my garage I noticed the revs were on 0 and the symbols were lighting on the dash and the radio would not turn on.
I then turned the lights on to see what would happen and the engine died and would not restart.
The only thing that has changed since a week ago when it was running perfectly is that I have replaced the cam cover gasket and the dizzy O ring after which i gunked the engine down and washed it off with water from a hosepipe taking care to avoid the air intake.
Does anyone recognise the symptoms oh and after the engine died and I had rolled the car into the garage and removed the keys the aerial was trying to raise itself, which it did and then it retracted. Seems somehow like the battery has lost power and will not crank the engine.

Hope someone can help, I've just spent several hundred pounds on the car having its wheels refurbished, some new tyres and the cam cover gasket replaced.
mr2magic

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Electrical gremlins visitation.

Post by mr2magic »

Alternator dead which caused a now dead battery, maybe? Swap in a new battery and ceck if everything works again.
bigal

Post by bigal »

mr2magic wrote:Alternator dead which caused a now dead battery, maybe? Swap in a new battery and ceck if everything works again.

Going to try that today.
bigal

Post by bigal »

OK, Went to car and it started BUT the gremlins soon came back and the battery drained causing the radio to go crazy turning on and off rapidy.
What an absolute nightmare #-o, hardly any space in the garage to work on the car and don't even know where to start really. 63 years old with a bad back, I don't think this is going to be fixed anytime soon. Going back up to the garage now to have a go at removing the alternator, don't hold your breath.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

bigal wrote:Going back up to the garage now to have a go at removing the alternator, don't hold your breath.

Why not test the alternator in situ first? Beats guessing!
bigal

Post by bigal »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
bigal wrote:Going back up to the garage now to have a go at removing the alternator, don't hold your breath.

Because I'm a rubbish mechanic without all the gear.

Anyway I've just got back from up the garage where I've been fighting the mr2 all afternoon, like you do.
Managed to remove the pivot bolt and the tensioner bolt and slipped off the alternator belt, removed the wiring nut, fought for an hour to remove the connector, what a b1tch when you can't see F all and just have to feel.
Now the alternator is pivoting but I can't seem to move it from its position, something is holding it in and I can't figure out what it is.

Whats the next step?
Nails

Post by Nails »

It needs a good wiggle to get it out of the pivot mounting mate
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Nails wrote:It needs a good wiggle to get it out of the pivot mounting mate

Correct.

Then be prepared to have to remove gearbox mount, lower subframe, remove exhaust B pipe. Not all always necessary, but quite normal to have to do so.
bigal

Post by bigal »

Correct.

Then be prepared to have to remove gearbox mount, lower subframe, remove exhaust B pipe. Not all always necessary, but quite normal to have to do so.

Oh dear, in the bath at the mo, recovering..........
bigal

Post by bigal »

Correct.

How difficult are these things to do Peter?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

bigal wrote:

Correct.

All fairly straightforward.

But a lot easier to stick a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running.
bigal

Post by bigal »

bigal wrote:

Correct.

All fairly straightforward.

But a lot easier to stick a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running.

I knew you would say something like that :thumleft:
bigal

Post by bigal »

Image[/url]

Looks nice.......but haven't the will to finish getting the alternator out today, going for a bike ride instead....... :thumleft:
bigal

Post by bigal »

Had another go today, managed to remove the alternator from its position, its now resting on the subframe.
I love driving this car but absolutely loathe working on it, no space to do or see anything. The mid-engined car was certainly never designed with the average amateur mechanic in mind and if you can't diy it just becomes a moneypit when routine maintenance issues arise. I'm no wizard with the spanners but if this was a car with the engine in the front I could have changed the alternator real quick no problems.
As I am someone who had to retire early on a rubbish pension I just have to diy the damn alternator change.
Anyway with that off my chest can someone give me a walk through guide for the next stages I have to go through to remove and replace the alternator, and its no good justsaying things like "drop the subframe" because unless you have experience or are a professional mechanic it doesn't mean anything.
I'm after an idiot proof guide with photos if possible.
Sorry for the venting of the spleen but the mr2 engine bay just gets the red mist descending......... :oops:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Can you not pull it out the top? I can't remember if i managed it after removing cruise control.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Are you 100% sure the alternator is to blame and you put a £10 multimeter across the battery to see you were getting 14V when engine is running?

I hope so because alternator changeout is a ballache. Dropping subframe etc was easy enough but could I hell get the alternator off the pivot point without a lot of blood sweat and tears. Be gutting to find that alternator was okay and problem lays elsewhere.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

uglee wrote:Are you 100% sure the alternator is to blame and you put a £10 multimeter across the battery to see you were getting 14V when engine is running?

bigal wrote:

Because I'm a rubbish mechanic without all the gear.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

bigal wrote:

Correct.

Oh dear, in the bath at the mo, recovering..........

I also like to bath after a session of car repairs.

Just did my alternator following the same steps on here, just hit it with a hammer after taking the bolt out and it dropped off :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

To get it out after its off the pivot mount you need to take the middle pipe off your exhaust,the one between the decat and the backbox. Then remove the mount that it fastened too. You can get the alt out now between the engine and subframe. We did it this way on outruns rev 2 and my rev 3. Can't see how this wouldn't work on any other tubby.
Nails

Post by Nails »

To get it out after its off the pivot mount you need to take the middle pipe off your exhaust,the one between the decat and the backbox. Then remove the mount that it fastened too. You can get the alt out now between the engine and subframe. We did it this way on outruns rev 2 and my rev 3. Can't see how this wouldn't work on any other tubby.

Return to “Electrical”