[Mk2] [Generic] Help identifying and fixing wiring.

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kirk

[Mk2] [Generic] Help identifying and fixing wiring.

Post by kirk »

So today I started looking into the wiring issues that currently plague my car. I've been trying to figure out why the rear speakers aren't working and have unearthed an absolute mess. Originally I was just hoping that once I removed the old amp and 6x9s it would be a simple fix. WRONG.

First of all can someone confirm that the factory system my car came with is the active system.

Either side behind the seats is an unplugged wire like this. Should these be plugged into stock subs?

These AUX wires look like original ones, even have japan printed on them. They were joined to some male aux cables which ran to the alpine amp I removed from under the seat.

Next comes the clusterfuck of awful wiring. First off these.

I'm guessing these aren't original as I traced one side to the relay box in the passenger foot well where they have been joined in here to a pink and purple wire.

This is what's left of the factory head unit wiring

I want to get the rear speakers working and fix the messy wiring. What I don't know is why this has been done in this way. I know the pink/blue and black/red are for the power antenna and the green one being the dimmer? What I don't know is what the other bits are.

Little help? :mrgreen:
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Help identifying and fixing wiring.

Post by raptor95GTS »

try the sticky at the top of this section, it has a load of wiring colour / identification

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 07&start=0
kirk

Post by kirk »

Yeah I forgot about that. I think I've sussed out just wtf was going on behind the dash. The car had 6x9s fitted to an under seat amp then wired to the head unit although it never worked. The wires in the footwell appear to be a lazy attempt at wiring the front speakers seperatly.

What I need to figure out is whether I can turn this to a passive system. Can someone confirm whether this was originally an active system.?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

check the cubby holes behind the seats, the subs apparently sit in there. I have the passive setup and the boxes are empty..
kirk

Post by kirk »

So are mine but I suspect that's because the previous owner dropped some 6x9's in the lids. The wires are there for them though.

The stock amplifiers are those big things behind the seatbelt labelled right and left like shown in the first picture are they not. I think it's been half removed and replaced. The question I have now is can I use a bit of loom off a passive system to rectify the wiring at the headunit.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Active system, has had main headunit plugs cut off

RCA cable, ad other speaker wire is non original

Return to “ICE and Security”