[All] [Generic] Chinese Android Head Units - Who has tried one? Which works best?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

[All] [Generic] Chinese Android Head Units - Who has tried one? Which works best?

Post by Danbob »

I'm going to take a punt on one of the Chinese Android double DIN head units on Ebay.

Reason being I want something which will work as a multimedia player, GPS and also will run useful Android lap timing and Megasquirt apps.

Despite being cheap for what they are, they're still a big purchase for me - about £250, so I want to get some opinions from anybody who already has one!

Any recommendations?
Hez

Re: [All] [Generic] Chinese Android Head Units - Who has tried one? Which works best?

Post by Hez »

Ive not experienced the android headunits but one thing ive noticed with chinese headunits/dvd players in general is that the inbuilt amplifier is usually rubbish nowhere near as good quality or loud as main stream headunits pioneer/ kenwood/ alpine etc.
Danbob

Re: [All] [Generic] Chinese Android Head Units - Who has tried one? Which works best?

Post by Danbob »

OK - worth bearing in mind thanks, I'm not overly concerned about the audio side of things, as I currently don't have any stereo at all in my road cars.
Most concerned on the android side of things working robustly and importantly that it's not going to burst into flames or constantly crash!

Cheers
Dan
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Why not just install a cheap tablet.
I've got a hudl for 20 quid and another centre dash. Just need an amp.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I dont know if this is what your after but i bought a 7" flip out screen Chinese jobby and it was awesome ... great dvd sound and picture ... played my mp3's off a sd card and memory stick ... very happy ... i would buy again :thumleft:

Just my 2p .. i mean for f sake everything's made in china now anyway , buy from the source :lol:
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

markstevieandmads wrote:Why not just install a cheap tablet.
I've got a hudl for 20 quid and another centre dash. Just need an amp.

I was originally going down that route, I had a Google Nexus 7 for that purpose, but unfortunately it broke, and honestly after researching it for a while and all the mods and making brackets modifying a charger and the amp etc. I decided that for a ready made head unit that slots straight in and does all of that for £200 it would be worth it.

Also I'm quite old fashioned and still buy CD's, so a CD player will be a nice bonus too.

I dont know if this is what your after but i bought a 7" flip out screen Chinese jobby and it was awesome ... great dvd sound and picture ... played my mp3's off a sd card and memory stick ... very happy ... i would buy again [thumleft]

Just my 2p .. i mean for f sake everything's made in china now anyway , buy from the source [Laughing]

Yeah that's useful - my main concern is just that it works and is reliable - So good to hear yours worked well.

Looks like Eonon is the main supplier of them.

http://www.eonon.co.uk/2-Din-Car-GPS/G2110ZV.html

Think I'll go for this one, it's their top model and available for £195 delivered on Ebay
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Mine was Eonon :thumleft:
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Eonon I have that brand too.. Rear cam, GPS/British/euro sat nav, MP3 Iphone connection.. It`s good for the money, not failed yet..
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Cheers , that's the type of review I was hoping for!

How long have you had it installed?

Cheers
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Put mine in about a year and a half ago I think. Has loads of functions, Digital TV on there and stuff too. I agree with the slightly weak AMP comment, I run door speakers/tweeters and a couple of 6x9 behind my seats, they are loud enough but they don`t crank up like they did with my old sony headunit. Could always buy a decent amp separately anyway.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing myself.

Not sure how clued up you are with android in general but worth checking out the headunit section of xda forums

I would hotlink but wont let me not enough posts!

anyhow there is loads of info on there and those guys are pretty much the experts when it comes to android os
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Cheers, I'll have a look on there once I get into it a bit!
I've ordered it now though, went for the top eonon, its pure android 4.4 kit kat with no wince interface etc. To slow it down

I'll let you know if it works and if I can recommend it or not!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Which model eonon? I'm guessing its one of the quad core ones
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Hi, I bought the one I linked above G2110ZV

http://www.eonon.co.uk/2-Din-Car-GPS/G2110ZV.html

Its a 1.6Ghz dual core
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Tablet is the way forward, you can pick up and HP stream 7 running full windows 8 (with free upgrade to windows 10) for £70. I'm doing this in mine to monitor the ECU :thumleft:
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

That's very cheap, Windows OS would be useful for running in the MR2 with Megasquirt interface.

I'll think of putting a tablet in the MR2 when it's ready. But for the skyline I wanted something that slots straight in and has a CD player as it's a Daily (And I still like CD's)

Return to “ICE and Security”