[Mk2] [Turbo] Can anyone help me identify this smoking issue?? VIDEO

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alex687

[Mk2] [Turbo] Can anyone help me identify this smoking issue?? VIDEO

Post by alex687 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is_-pcml9Uc

I've had this issue with a misty smoke when the revs and boost get up towards top end - you can see it in this video in 2nd gear and a bit less obviously in 3rd gear. It doesn't look particularly blue to me but the car does use oil.

It has a hybrid CT26 turbo which isn't that old but there is a bit of side to side play in the shaft and signs of oil in the turbo housing and hotpipe.

Good compression last time I checked so wouldn't have thought it's the rings. Never smokes on idle or on start up or anything. Although one time when I came to a stop a bit of smoke engulfed the car from behind. Again I couldn't say if it was blue or not and my nose isn't trained well enough to know what the smell was. Sometimes it seems to smell a little of unburnt fuel to me but that might just be when it's cold.

My plan is to take the turbo off this summer, send it to be rebuilt and re fit it - no doubt i will do all that and still have the problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? or advice? or things I could do to rule out possibilities? I was going to disconnect the crankcase breather from the intake ( put it in a plastic bag or cloth or something) and do a little test run to see if the oil is coming from there...

Any help much appreciated before I remove the turbo!
2mad

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Can anyone help me identify this smoking issue?? VIDEO

Post by 2mad »

I vote turbo letting go (oil seals exhaust side) :( mine started off like that and got progressively worse ](*,)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

If the turbo has play in the bearings you need to get it sorted before it gets bad and the wheels start rubbing on the housings. Once you get to that point it will cost a lot of money to fix.

We rebuild a lot of turbos so very happy to have a look for you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatton-E ... 4554555276
Last edited by bobhatton on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

coming to a stop and car is engulfed in smoke = turbo seals going. Been there twice so far lol
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Cheers for the help guys. I will get to work removing the turbo when I can be bothered.
alex687

Post by alex687 »

So i got my turbo off last week and discovered this... Was already planning to send it off to turbo technics for an inspection re the oil burning issue. Maybe this is as a result of exessive shaft play? dunno what to make of it really...

nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Leaky oil seals and a turbine blade that's sheared off, usually from excessive play.

8-[
2mad

Post by 2mad »

nathan.z wrote:Leaky oil seals and a turbine blade that's sheared off, usually from excessive play.

8-[

Yep would post that also .. time for a tt rebuild :(
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Recommend universal turbo for a rebuild
alex687

Post by alex687 »

So I sent my turbo to TT as I was certain I had a TT S148 hybrid cos I had an invoice from 2011 in the folder of paperwork that came with the car. Anyway it turns out it wasn't one of theirs. and it is in a bad way. They are claiming it's a standard turbo but I don't think it is. For one it pulled like a train. Secondly it had a non standard actuator. thirdly the inlet had definitely been bored out. I compared it to pictures of a standard ct26 and it was huge, and also clearly looked like it had been machined as can be seen in this image. Does this look standard? best picture I could find, is actually a screenshot from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPKsoXDFM8

So they are quoting me a whopping £400 to rebuild whatever I have, or £700 to build me an S148 (what I thought I had in the first place). and those prices are excluding VAT. I don't know what to do! I'm tempted to bite the bullet and get the S148 but if I'm spending that much I'd like to know what alternative I have. Plus I've not been very impressed with their customer service.

Otherwise is there anyway I can determine what turbo I have or anything I can tell/ask them to confirm it isn't standard. Like ask them to measure the internal diameter of the inlet and tell them what a standard CT26's should be (anyone know that?). Which out of the CT20b and CT26 had the single port wastegate and which had the double?
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

The ct26 inducer is 40mm in diameter if I remember correctly. Also I think what you are implying as having been bored out is in fact machine work from the factory as the housing is first cast and then machined to spec.
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Yea I'm pretty sure mine is bigger than 40mm. The compressor wheel also has 7 double blades whereas I think I'm right in thinking the ct20b has 5.

Also am I right in thinking the ct26 had the single port wastegate whereas the 20b had the double. Mine has double wastegate but a ct26 compressor housing which further led me to believe it is a hybrid. I am certain it isn't standard but if I get TT to rebuild it what will I end up with?!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

alex687 wrote:

That is bored out .. i did mine .

Post some more detailed pics .. im up for spot the difference .

alex687 wrote:compressor wheel also has 7 double blades whereas I think I'm right in thinking the ct20b has 5.

Yes 7 for a tt and 5 for a stock :thumleft:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

All ct2x had 5 blade inducers.

Check out this thread:

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/66659 ... P%29/page5

for good pics of the ct26 vs ct20b vs ct20b gen4
alex687

Post by alex687 »

2mad wrote:Post some more detailed pics .. im up for spot the difference .

I will try fish together what I have but TT have the unit in bits so I can't take any more. Did you watch the video where that screenshot came from? More a case of identify the turbo rather than spot the difference. They are claiming it is a standard turbo and didn't really interested in helping me determine what it is. Shouldn't they be able to identify the 7 bladed compressor wheel and enlarged inlet?

EDIT: these are only ones I can find. not much use

mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

If you have 7 blade pairs then it's probably a garrett 60-1 trim wheel. Assuming the turbine hasn't been changed that is in my mind an awful pairing.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

All stock turbos bad twin port wastegate and none had any machining marks on the comp side.
alex687

Post by alex687 »

mr2magic wrote:If you have 7 blade pairs then it's probably a garrett 60-1 trim wheel. Assuming the turbine hasn't been changed that is in my mind an awful pairing.

you mean the exhaust turbine? why is that a bad pairing?
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Compressor/Turbine Mismatch - When "matching" a compressor and a turbine you are seeking to balance the turbine characteristics to the compressor characteristics. When you increase the size of the turbine wheel you are decreasing the pressure ratio of the turbine, essentially decreasing the shaft speed connecting the compressor/turbine. When pairing a larger turbine wheel to a small compressor wheel, the smaller the compressor wheel the higher the rpm the wheel has to be spun at to compress the air. This becomes a problem in that the smaller compressor cannot generate adequate shaft speed to compress air. The same can hold true when pairing a huge compressor to a small turbine wheel. The larger compressor needs less shaft speed to compressor airflow, but the smaller turbine wheel will spin at a much higher rpm level that is what is necessary. The result is crossing over the choke or surge line on the compressor map.

A 60-1 wheel is basically just too large for the ct2x turbine.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

jimGTS wrote:All stock turbos bad twin port wastegate and none had any machining marks on the comp side.

Nope i had a ct26 with a large single entrance and wastegate .. got pics somewhere ... it was slower to spool but didnt drop much boost top end 1.1bar dropped to 1.0 to the redline :thumleft:

Cant understand why tt aren't being more helpful just watched the vid .. it is defiantly a hybrid .. had one years ago that looked just the same .

Return to “Mechanical”