[Mk2] [NA] Aerial options.

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kirk

[Mk2] [NA] Aerial options.

Post by kirk »

I used to use a modified honda s2000 type on the Supra with a booster which was pretty meh in terms of reception. I'm just wondering if there is any options similar for the MR2?
rev3gtturbo

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Aerial options.

Post by rev3gtturbo »

If it is an aerial on the rear wing, are you saying the aerial extends/retracts fully but the signal quality is rubbish.

My old MR2 had a bad earth that I did not know about until the radio reception improved after a car bodywork restoration. Did not need a signal booster.

If the aerial assembly is worn out, the parts are available but watch out for the part numbers as there was more than one standard aerial on a mk2 (and I don't mean due to the difference in rear wing shapes for the different boot lid spoilers).

Just as easy (and as cheap) to go into a car audio shop and get a generic electric aerial fitted. It will need the oem aerial connector to be replaced with the modern standard connector. Way cheaper than a new electric aerial assembly from Toyota these days.

While your at it check the aerial water drain hose is connected to the aerial assembly and actually passes through the drain hole in the boot floor. (I have seen some aerials where the drain hose just dangles on the boot floor under the carpet which will eventually rot the boot floor somewhere).
craig

Post by craig »

Get rid of stock 80's crappy extend-able mast, smooth aerial hole and go DAB on windscreen.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Never had any issues with standard aerial myself.
craig

Post by craig »

acf8181 wrote:Never had any issues with standard aerial myself.

I did.

It extends 10ft and looks sh*te :lol:
kirk

Post by kirk »

rev3gtturbo wrote:If it is an aerial on the rear wing, are you saying the aerial extends/retracts fully but the signal quality is rubbish.

I should of been a bit clearer. I was looking for alternatives to the huge flag pole. I used to dig the old 90s aerial but it's not my thing any more.

RedMR² wrote:Get rid of stock 80's crappy extend-able mast, smooth aerial hole and go DAB on windscreen.

This is what I was talking about. :thumleft:

Any recommendations?
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

RedMR² wrote:

I did.

Well, each to own, looks in fitting with age of car to me! (worst is people retrofitting sharkfin type things, now THAT looks awful!)
craig

Post by craig »

acf8181 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

I did.

Well, each to own, looks in fitting with age of car to me! (worst is people retrofitting sharkfin type things, now THAT looks awful!)

Yeah, I nearly did that, but glad I decided against it. I've a smoothed aerial hole and DAB aerial in the front windscreen.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Sorry for the old thread revival.

Have had a new headunit in the car about a month and am quite dissapointed with the DAB signal. It's so poor that only the bluetooth mode to play from a phone is used.
When parked up the DAB is great and works very well but as soon as the car is moving the signal is useless.

Fitted a powered (from the head unit) DAB aerial to the rear quater light. Didn't want the ugly thing stuck to the front windscreen or to remove the dash for a neat install.

Is this just par for the DAB course and the real reason that they never turned off the analogue signal like they had planned? Or is there a way to get better results?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

pbmr2 wrote:Sorry for the old thread revival.

Have had a new headunit in the car about a month and am quite dissapointed with the DAB signal. It's so poor that only the bluetooth mode to play from a phone is used.
When parked up the DAB is great and works very well but as soon as the car is moving the signal is useless.

Fitted a powered (from the head unit) DAB aerial to the rear quater light. Didn't want the ugly thing stuck to the front windscreen or to remove the dash for a neat install.

Is this just par for the DAB course and the real reason that they never turned off the analogue signal like they had planned? Or is there a way to get better results?

Have you mounted the aerial the right way as DAB transmitters are vertically polarised so your aerial should be vertical
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Now you mention it, no. It's horizontal. Hmm best get the hair drier out and remount it up the right way.

Thanks.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

My DAB aerial with my Kenwood 9320dab is mounted horizontal, top left of my windscreen. No problems picking up signals in London or Manchester when i travel to visit folk.

DAB is still in its infancy, there are some places when I'm driving where the signal goes crappy or is lost. Thankfully it's not too often.

Return to “ICE and Security”