We had great fun on Sunday

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobhatton

We had great fun on Sunday

Post by bobhatton »

First sprint of the year for Steve and myself.

Steve was going to use his MR2 after fitting a new inlet manifold, turbo and ECU but ran out of time, so has gone back to his single seater.

Last year I was running a Westfield type car for the designer to sort out problems with brakes and turn in but the new parts are still being built for it, so I took a sales car along that we had. 100% stock MR2 rev 2 but with air filter and down pipe, old turbo letting a bit of oil through the seals.
The other cars in the A4 class were two 300hp Subaru Impresas’.

First practices I was two seconds faster than the Subaru’s, but then Steve went a broke his drive shaft in the Jedi……..can I second drive your car please Dad?

Steve went out in the MR2, first as he is the A driver, so when he comes back in I am left with a very hot car with an even hotter intercooler. Real lack of power when I was driving, had to use 1st gear in the hair pins as the engine would not pick up in second.

So I went from a sure first place class win to second place, but we were both well clear of the other two cars.

Now in the vid below, where have I lost 1.4 seconds to Steve?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatton-E ... 4554555276
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
rev3gtturbo

Re: We had great fun on Sunday

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Always good to hear of an MR2 being put to good use and enjoyed and doing well.
:D

What turbo is going on the other MR2?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

rev3gtturbo wrote:Always good to hear of an MR2 being put to good use and enjoyed and doing well.
:D

What turbo is going on the other MR2?

There is an update Vid on the facebook page with both of us side by side, I lost time on the last two bends by changing down to first as I was not getting power when I was in second.

The turbo for the 1200hp build will just be a GT35 that I have sitting around to start with. I will only be able to us 600hp on the tracks, then if I want to go for all the power it will be something like a GTX42 or 45
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Seen the videos on facebook Bob, looks like fun, Also, it looks tricky, I couldn't race through cones like that! Track looks really tight :shock:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

sheppy wrote:Seen the videos on facebook Bob, looks like fun, Also, it looks tricky, I couldn't race through cones like that! Track looks really tight :shock:

It may look tight but lots of room, even had single seater with a Ex F1 Benerton engine in it.

We all had five runs, about 50 cars and only one red flag and one cone came back in under a car.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I saw the vid on facebook, it looked very quick. Was shocked when you said it was totally stock power. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

MR2 Rich wrote:I saw the vid on facebook, it looked very quick. Was shocked when you said it was totally stock power. :thumleft:

It was a problem car when we got it, Steve did a lot of work to get it going and has been using it to get to work for the last 4 weeks or so as the van gear box has gone.
It had some oil in the turbo inlet we were going to change the turbo but ran out of time. The Chinese down pipe was stopping the waste gate opening, and had uncontrolled boost at the top end, so that was opened up and I refitted everything making sure there were no boost leaks etc.

I took it for a test drive and it was running great.

After Steve had his first run it the car he came back with a big smile, saying oh it has never run like that before.....lol

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”