Daytona Grey Rev 1 Tubby Project ( Finally in Paint)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gmac90

Daytona Grey Rev 1 Tubby Project ( Finally in Paint)

Post by gmac90 »

Hi all. Just thought I would introduce myself after being a member of mr2oc for a while now and seeing that IMOC comes up quite a lot I thought I would join and get the best of both worlds \:D/. I have always been a fan of the mk2 mr2 ever since I first saw one and I have always wanted to own one and now the time has come I have my own Mk2 Mr2 ( well 2 of them now).

I bought my first mr2 back in May/June last year it was a rev1 N/A automatic in white(sort of) and it was cheap (£400) and it had no work done to the sills either.

After putting new wheels on it, discs and pads all round, an exhaust and giving it a damn good service I was happy with my mr2 apart from 2 things

1. I wanted a turbo
2. I wanted to change gears myself.

So after a while I started looking on internet for a cheap tubby and I came across a rev 1 manual tubby for £300.. bargain.. It came with an aftermarket intercooler, tinted windows, mongoose exhaust,leather interior and its a t-bar. bad points are that the sills have gone, interior isnt great, it leaks from the roof and it dosent sound quite right when its running.

My plan was to remove everything from the tubby engine and gearbox and convert the white one into a tubby manual and give it a respray as I only has eyes for my white one.

But after actually thinking things through I have decide it would be much easier (work wise and on the wallet) just to put the black tubby on the road as is so heres what i have got to do

1. Replace rusty sills - Looking into Mk1 Astra sills
2. Remove engine and strip it
3. Replace timing belt, clutch, head gasket and seals
4. Replace interior or re trim the seats
5. Possibly get a new ct20 turbo
6. Replace all the pipes and hoses from hell
7. Sort out binding brakes
8.Tidy engine bay and paint a few things
9. Tidy up the bodywork

Hopefully after all of this I am looking to achive 250-300 bhp which I think is possible.

Would a gen 7 celica interior fit into my mr2 including the steering wheel?

will get some more pics this weekend after a good wash!!!

(sorry i can post pics yet need 15 posts)
Last edited by gmac90 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
matt-mr2

Re: Daytona Grey Rev 1 Tubby Project ( Finally in Paint)

Post by matt-mr2 »

Hi and welcome to iMOC :thumleft:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Cheers matt
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

£300 ? :shock:

What a bargain!

It sounds like you have some great plans for it ahead. I really look forward to seeing the car and seeing it progress as you work through your plans :)

As for the celica interior.. I know the seats will do with modified rails :thumleft:

Another member not far from me had them in his and they looked awesome
and obviously felt great to sit in.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

I had a gen 7 celica before i had my mr2 and i liked the interior and the seats were really comfy... Do u know if the steering wheel is a straight swap... I bought an aftermarket one but im not too sure about it now
craig

Post by craig »

Welcome to IMOC mate. Looking forward to seeing pics of the car, and the progress on it.

£300 for a rev1 turbo T bar, bargain! 8)
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Just purchased my Mk1 Astra sills for it... Hopefully get them done next weekend :D
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

man its been 6 months since i posted on my project :tumbleweed:

well in fairness i havent done much to it untill the last month or so after my long list of parts has arrived...

Ordered all the following from TCB who were extremly helpful ...

Timing belt 3 peice kit, water pump and tensioner
Rev3 Steel head gasket
Cylinder head gasket set
Head bolts
Injector seals
3 piece clutch kit
New crankshaft pulley
Bottom timing belt cover (mine was in a poor state)
Both from shocks
Both rear shocks
4 anti roll bar links ( as someone had chopped and welded them back up)
Speedo Cable ( snapped taking it off)

also purchased from various members (mainly Draven)
Rev 3 Calipers and brackets powder coated in blue
Mathew Lewis braided brake lines
40 mm lowering springs.

Still to buy...

Rev 3 Discs and pads
Vacuum hoses
Engine paint
Induction kit
possibly radiator
hose from hell and HFHOE

My seats are away at a trimmers getting done like these ....

But in blue lettering and stitching

also going to take my wheels off the white mr2 i have and put them on this one

Getting started on the sills and bodywork next weekend along with getting the engine back together hopefully all said and done i should be looking at completion by august time

A few pics for you to ogle at hmmm pictures ....

gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

so this is what £900 worth of parts looks like ....

just waiting on my front calipers and brackets and had a look at my radiator and i think ill need a need one of them aswell...... and no one is selling a st185 charge cooler by any chance are they :roll:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

got quite a bit done today... cut off my os sill and got the astra sill mostly on the top is just tacked on for just now as i ran out of time today will fully weld it on tomorrow...

there is a bit of a profile difference from the old sill which is curved and the astra sill is square but managed to sort that problem out not too difficult ill take a good pic of it tomorrow...

also fixed my passenger t top leak using the sealant and cling film method will do the drivers side tomorrow...

whilst my sill were getting worked on i was rubbing down my worse for wear sump ready for paint so it now looks like this ...

well get my sill tidied up tomorrow and keep you updated
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Tried to take a pic of the different profiles between the Astra sill and the original sill but its hardly noticeable but here it is...

all fully welded and primered to protect it from the rain untill i get the other side done...

Whilst my sill was getting worked on i also rubbed down my rocker cover ready for paint... from this

to this...

Next big question is what colour do I paint the car???? keep it black but a really sparkly black that pops in the sun or go for a unique colour like a nice dark gunmetal grey? only thing is my accessories are all blue and black so i dunno if blue black and gunmetal would clash... or do I spray it white or electric blue arghhhh so many choices... what do you guys think ?
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Chose the colour im going to paint the 2 its calles nimbus grey an audi colour looks like this

http://www.audittclub.it/wp/wp-content/ ... Grau-3.jpg

Think this will really show off the lines of the mr2...

Also orded my rad, hoses discs and pads and some engine paint ooo also orded the HFH and the HFHOE from toyota :)

Engine rebuilt happening this weekend
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Good work, nice to see someone getting their hands dirty.

I like the new colour too :thumleft:
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Cheers Rob... Do you guys do any aftermarket stuff? Or gt4 stuff coz ill need to keep you in mind

Think ill need to change the blue on my wheels though maybe to the nimbus grey instead hmmm....
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

gmac90 wrote:Cheers Rob... Do you guys do any aftermarket stuff? Or gt4 stuff coz ill need to keep you in mind

Think ill need to change the blue on my wheels though maybe to the nimbus grey instead hmmm....

I generally don't keep anyting in stock ( the only thing I have at the moment are some tow straps) but can try to source you something if there is something specific you're looking for. Im always happy to give advice even if I can't get what you want cheaper than elsewhere.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Cool good to know ill give u a shout if there is anything i come across... Ill update this thread more at the weekend with the enginge build
:lol:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Oooo genuine Toyota parts have arrived
HFH, HFHOE and the other coolant bypass hose along with bolts and studs for both the inlet manifold and exhaust manifold :D

craig

Post by craig »

Nice work, certainly getting stuck in! :thumleft:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Well it was a semi productive day today I didn't get started on what I was wanting to because i forgot how much prep is required for bloody painting things :shock: ](*,) ... anyhoo my morning consisted of ripping out all of my A/C as one of the pipes was burst and the A/C rad was completely shot as you can see...

Most of the rad ended up on the floor !!!

This is what all the aircon parts look like once you have removed them quite a bit of weight in it all too

Well chuffed that all that was out the way :mrgreen: Now to fit my new aluminum rad which is quite a bit deeper than the old one so I am hoping that it will improve the cooling

Got the new rad in and I couldn't help but notice how rusty and run down the fan housings were and then I got the bug that if its coming off I might aswell rub it down spray it and make it look nice and copper grease all the bolts going back in ... oh how I wish I didnt like things to be perfect

With that out of the way I moved on to going to rebuild my engine... but wait a minute I havent painted anything thats going back on my engine yet #-o

Once again the wire wheel and sand paper came out to clean up my inlet manifold, hot pipe, turbo heat shield ( the inlet manifold was a right pain to prep) and the metal water pipes that you cant actually see but they connect to the HFH.

Luckily I had already rubbed down my sump and rocker cover.

Sump in primer

Sump in VHT black and clear coat

Half way through the pain that is the inlet manifold

Rocker cover painted (Doing the TOYOTA in black then I will clear coat it)

All the other bits as I left them tonight ready for tomorrows assembly..

Tomorrow I can get on with my enginge build now

\:D/
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

A more productive day today in all my paint had dried and I could actually start putting stuff back together yaaaay

TRhis is all the stuff I had to fit today ...

... to this ...

Urgh what a task it was going to be but I managed to work through it starting with the easy bit the newly painted sump :mrgreen:

Then the more difficult bit fitting the head and cams and timing the engine

:shock:

Aswell as new HFH HFHOE and the other bypass hose which surprisingly dosent have a name yet Ill just call if Hose From Hells Cousin (HFHC) as it lives round the other side of the block

Didnt take a pic of HFHC #-o but I did change it Then onto the timing belt and rocker cover...

Freshly painted inlet manifold and rocker cover (TOYOTA is upside down though sorry guys)

Then exhaust manifold and the CT20B turbo and newly painted hotpipe

And thats where I called it quits today Ive lost my dizzy cap rubber though among the mass of nuts and bolts and my radiator fan switch broke yesterday ](*,) but apart from that next weekend should see my other sill getting done and hopefully the heart will go back into the beast....... then I can fit my shocks springs discs pads and calipers ..... phew ... then it should be off to paint and get my seats back \:D/ ....... Hopefully............

Return to “Member Profiles”