www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Power Steering Fluid

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beanz

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Power Steering Fluid Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi guys,

I signed up here to ask this as I'm hearing a lot of conflicting opinions on this. Basically I own a '95 Honda Civic, my power steering pump shat itself and so I decided I'm going to adapt the Mk3 MR2 pump to work in my car. Now I've got together all the bits I need to do this, but I'm a bit stumped when it comes to the fluid.

The writing on the MR2 pump I have is Japanese, but I believe the fluid I need is part number 08886-01206. I have read about a Peugeot fluid working that's a lot cheaper, does anyone have any suggestions regarding this?

Cheers,
Tom
mrspete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I tried years ago for a equivalent with no luck and was told to stick with
Toyota Electro-Hydraulic power steering fluid (part no 08886-01206)
Pete
cabbydave1

Feedback Score: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

What colour was the fluid in your Honda if it was clear coloured you can use Honda fluid. If it was normal ATF the red stuff then don't let that anywhere near the toyota
Beanz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

cabbydave1 wrote:
What colour was the fluid in your Honda if it was clear coloured you can use Honda fluid. If it was normal ATF the red stuff then don't let that anywhere near the toyota

I have never touched the fluid in my Honda, but at the moment it's a browny colour.

If there isn't a suitable reliable alternative available I'd rather just pay the price for the Toyota fluid than risk the pump to be honest, where does everyone get there PAS fluid from?
Mikey P MR2

Feedback Score: 2

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I donít know the answer and have always heard just go to Toyota, but itís very expensive and Toyota donít make power steering fluid do they, I highly suspect it can be bought elsewhere at a lower cost if you knew the specifications of it.
JohnnyC

Feedback Score: 20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It's apparently fluid for the Peogeot 307 you need as that has hydro-electric PS, at least to put in the mk2, is the mk3 MR2 the same?
Ekona

2004 BMW 6 Series

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

How much is the genuine Toyota stuff, out of interest?
Mikey P MR2

Feedback Score: 2

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Think I got quoted over £30 a litre was a while ago. Most brands of power steering fluid are about £6 a litre so quite a mark up.
Ekona

2004 BMW 6 Series

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Oh, is that it? I thought we were talking hundreds of pounds here.

Sod it, I'd just get the Toyota stuff for that sort of money, peanuts in the grand scale of things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: