View New Posts

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pauln

View New Posts

Post by Pauln »

I just wondered if there was any chance of getting a "View New Posts" link added to the forum templates.

Apologies if it's there already and it's just me not being able to see the wood for the trees.

Thanks
Paul
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: View New Posts

Post by LimeyMk1 »

At the top of the main forum page, right hand side are a few links to view new, unread and unanswered posts.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Yep that's where I expected to see it, but all I can see are:

view unread posts
view your posts
view unanswered posts

no sign of view new

Paul
2mad

Post by 2mad »

LimeyMk1 wrote:At the top of the main forum page, right hand side are a few links to view new, unread and unanswered posts.

All these years and I'd never noticed that #-o .. that is helpful :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Pauln wrote:Yep that's where I expected to see it, but all I can see are:

view unread posts
view your posts
view unanswered posts

no sign of view new

Paul

unread posts is the same as "new posts" also, the "your posts" section brings up any thread you've posted in, if there's new posts the threads are in order so the last post is at the top.
There's nothing needs changing with regards to that, it just takes a few minutes to get used to.
also, it still amazes me how many folk haven't noticed it or figured out how to use it :D
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:
Pauln wrote:Yep that's where I expected to see it, but all I can see are:

view unread posts
view your posts
view unanswered posts

no sign of view new

Paul

unread posts is the same as "new posts" also, the "your posts" section brings up any thread you've posted in, if there's new posts the threads are in order so the last post is at the top.
There's nothing needs changing with regards to that, it just takes a few minutes to get used to.
also, it still amazes me how many folk haven't noticed it or figured out how to use it :D

Yeah defo all these years and totally oblivious to that little gem .. just looking through threads i've posted on and had completely forgotten about #-o

Learn something new every day lol :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

sheppy wrote:
unread posts is the same as "new posts"

Not really. New posts usually just lists posts that have been made since you last visited the site, rather than all the posts you've not read.

This is how it's explained in phpbb's own support forums:
"Unread posts are post you have not read. For example, if I login here, and then logout (without marking all topics read), then I still have unread posts. New posts are posts that are new since your last visit."

phpbb templates usually include both unread and new options, which was why I was surprised to see it was not offered here. Though I appreciate IMOC uses a heavily modified version of phpbb.

Any way, just a suggestion, no more.

Paul
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

but if there's "new posts" they are displayed in order of time posted, so whether you hit "your posts" or "unread posts" they are still displayed in the order of the most recent post first. so really, by choosing any of the options, you are seeing the newest post. :thumleft:

EDIT: Just to add, if there's a reply to a post you have previously read (but not posted in), it will appear again in "unread posts"
If there's not a reply, you'll find the post in "unanswered posts".
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Funny thing is if I hit unread posts, it claims there are loads of them - over 200 pages worth. But if I try to get beyond page 1, it come up with no other posts match your search. So I don't know if there are any "new posts" beyond page 1.

Paul
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Pauln wrote:Funny thing is if I hit unread posts, it claims there are loads of them - over 200 pages worth. But if I try to get beyond page 1, it come up with no other posts match your search. So I don't know if there are any "new posts" beyond page 1.

Paul

It does that occasionally, The site isn't normally like that, the whole thing needs updated, been on here 10 years and it's been the same that whole time, the only change I can think of is that there used to be a home screen for www.imoc.co.uk but now it redirects you to the forums. Not that there was anything exciting on the home page.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Yes it seems to be working correctly now.

I think its the age of templates in use that has caused my confusion over viewing new posts.

On the IMOC forum the "unread" link actually seems to trigger the "newposts" routine, where as on more recent template versions used elsewhere it triggers the "unreadposts" routine, and there is separate link for "newposts".

Paul

Return to “Club News and Announcements”