www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Sheps D.I.Y. 400whp build thread.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 18

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Sheps D.I.Y. 400whp build thread. Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well, here's my build thread, started the work today so i'll start the thread today too.

As said in my other thread I'm aiming for 400whp, nothing is set in stone, basically I'll be running SARD 850s, walbro fuel pump, GTX3071R, Chargecooler, forgies etc etc The car will make whatever it makes, if it doesn't make 400whp then it's no issue, I'm not gonna cry over it [Smile]

Got the ECU wired in today (thanks to Kris on here and his brother Jamie), Daylight faded a bit too fast to get much more done, just need to do some tests then upload the map to the G4. Also pushed the car into my tiny 1 car garage that's full of bikes, total nightmare, I have literally about 1 foot of clearance all the way round the car so getting the engine out will be interesting, i'll try and get pics up of progress and keep the thread updated, pistons should hopefully be sorted by the end of the week so the other block and crank are going to the machine shop for honing and decking, Hopefully i can afford the arp rod bolts and head gasket, GTSChris does a set with both for a decent price with the head gasket being a Cometic one.

No pics today, I'm sure you all know what the inside of an Mr2 boot looks like
[thumleft]

Ryan.

Last edited by Ryan S on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
slipping clutch
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Keep Posting Ryan - interested in this one as I know you are going to go about this in your own way - Best of luck [thumleft]
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

slipping clutch wrote:
Keep Posting Ryan - interested in this one as I know you are going to go about this in your own way - Best of luck [thumleft]

Absolutely man, hopefully be a fairly quick process too although work is insane at the moment so getting time off has been a bit problematic just now, However, I do have a warm carpeted garage that's well lit to do the work albeit a bit small. I may find myself keep some of the specs of the build to myself as i can't be ar$ed with snide comments or "on paper" opinions about what I'm doing but if anyone is genuinely interested feel free to PM any questions [thumleft]
gerbil1028
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 10

1992 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Tuned in.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Nice man, as i said feel free to message regarding parts or specs, i'm gonna keep a lot of info off of here to prevent pointless posts about what may be right or wrong, the build is completely specced up already. I've used imoc for 10 years and lately it's just become the place to point out mistakes rather than respect what might be possible with a bit outside the box thinking [Smile]
2mad
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 20

1990 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

You know how much I've been looking forward to this shep .. please dont pull your punches with this thread .. me and I'm sure most others are really interested in what mods you have planned .. don't spoil it for us just because some forum members cant think outside the box [Brick wall]

Happy new year buddy .

Sheppy project uncut for the win [thumleft]

Kev.
ashley
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Looking forwards to seeing how you get on [thumleft]
sky-net
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

[santa] Following this thread
C35Rob
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1996 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I'm looking forward to seeing what is so controversial about this build!

good luck [thumleft]

p.s - more pictures please
GeorgeL
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

sheppy wrote:
slipping clutch wrote:

Absolutely man, hopefully be a fairly quick process too although work is insane at the moment so getting time off has been a bit problematic just now, However, I do have a warm carpeted garage that's well lit to do the work albeit a bit small. I may find myself keep some of the specs of the build to myself as i can't be ar$ed with snide comments or "on paper" opinions about what I'm doing but if anyone is genuinely interested feel free to PM any questions [thumleft]

Past differences of opinion aside mate... Amen to that last bit! Far too many on here that THINK they know and like to throw that textbook "knowledge" around.. The best way to build a car is to do it how you want to and amend anything along the road from feel. Not build it on a bit of paper.

Best of luck with it, I have no doubt you will see over 400 once it all gels together [thumleft]

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Totally man, just to clear things up there's nothing really that controversial about it all, but even if it was a completely textbook build somebody would still point out something that was "wrong" haha, any posts like that i'll just report as spam and have removed, this thread is to document what i'm doing, not to ask for advice on what to do [Smile]

Anyway, glad to see a few folk interested, i will post up all the details if you guys are keen [thumleft]

EDIT: just realised how arsy this post sounded, it wasn't meant to be, if i do need help or arvice i'll happily ask for it, there's no pride at stake with any of this and i'm the first to admit my knowledge is limited [Smile]

Last edited by Ryan S on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpamDubz
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I want to see all of the progress as I have extremely similar goals in the future. It'll be good to be able to come back to this thread for reference. I was also contemplating the exact same turbo so will be good to hear the feedback on that too. I'm more swayed towards the gtx28 at the moment though.

Good luck with the build and I hope all goes well, looking forward to the pictures.

Dan.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ahhh, you see this where it comes down to "on paper" vs real world, I too was happy to settle for a slightly lower power figure to retain some spool and keep the car feeling close to stock but after being out in my mates 3SGTE powered Corolla with a gtx3071 with .82 exhaust housing I am more than happy to go with that turbo although most likely with a slightly smaller exhaust housing, his brother has a GT4 with the same turbo and a .62 housing and he says the boost is just instant on his car too! Both running FMICs too whereas i'll be using a charegcooler [thumleft]
SpamDubz
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

If the spool on the 3071 is as good as your friend says it is, then I too will probably make the same decision as you when the time comes. I'll also be running a charge cooler. I've got a ct26 on mine at the moment and I don't like the way the turbo performs. All these new age turbos seem to be the way forward [Twisted Evil]

Dan.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

SpamDubz wrote:
If the spool on the 3071 is as good as your friend says it is, then I too will probably make the same decision as you when the time comes. I'll also be running a charge cooler. I've got a ct26 on mine at the moment and I don't like the way the turbo performs. All these new age turbos seem to be the way forward [Twisted Evil]

Dan.

I've been in the car and felt how it performs, he's only running a bar of boost but it's at full boost waaaay before a CT20 or CT26. The Corolla does only weigh a tonne though.

It's ballistic man, leaps and bounds ahead of the 20+ year old turbos Toyota used [Shocked]
SpamDubz
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

That's music to my ears! My ct26 is only at full boost for 2k rpm (3.5-5.5) and quite frankly, it's depressing. I had a honda crx before the mr2 and I have no doubt that it was faster than the 2. The 2 is sexier and nicer to drive though [Wink]

Dan.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

SpamDubz wrote:
That's music to my ears! My ct26 is only at full boost for 2k rpm (3.5-5.5) and quite frankly, it's depressing. I had a honda crx before the mr2 and I have no doubt that it was faster than the 2. The 2 is sexier and nicer to drive though [Wink]

Dan.

Ha, I feel your pain, watching the boost gauge drop from 14psi down to 10psi on my old rev2 was rubbish [Mad]
2mad
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

sheppy wrote:
SpamDubz wrote:

Dan.

Ha, I feel your pain, watching the boost gauge drop from 14psi down to 10psi on my old rev2 was rubbish [Mad]

Indeed .. buy a ct20b and all is solved [thumleft] full boost to 7500rpm [Mr. Green]
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

2mad wrote:
sheppy wrote:
SpamDubz wrote:

Dan.

Indeed .. buy a ct20b and all is solved [thumleft]

Better still, Buy my HKS- TD05 [thumleft]
2mad
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Haha that too [Angel] .. very nice turbo [thumleft]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 1 of 40

Jump to: