[Mk2] [NA] Speakers behind seats

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

STUAW11

[Mk2] [NA] Speakers behind seats

Post by STUAW11 »

Were the speakers fitted behind seats a uk option or only on the imports? mine hasn't got any...is the wiring there?
87 T-Bar Manual Supercharger
98 T-Bar Rev5 Sonic Shadow
stuMR2lee

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Speakers behind seats

Post by stuMR2lee »

I believe UK Rev3 was the last time the 'Premium Sound System' was standard on T-bar with leather seat cars. Consists of same number of speakers as all models but additionally they have a main amp and two sub amps with subwoofers in the boxes behind the seat.

My Rev 5, and also Rev4's didn't have it - Toyota cost cutting. I have retrofitted the whole system to mine, with an extra active Subwoofer - it's all about the Bass. You need the complete loom, which I streamlined, as the wiring isn't there. The subwoofers get ripped but I have bought a kit to repair them.

Not sure about imports but I think it was an option at least until Rev3. Some had only one subwoofer.
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Unless you just mean the speakers in the rear side panels. All models had these and the wiring should be there.
STUAW11

Post by STUAW11 »

Ok thanks...it's just that I know of one being broken near me with them fitted..didn't know if they were worth having or sought after.
87 T-Bar Manual Supercharger
98 T-Bar Rev5 Sonic Shadow
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Personally I think the Active Sound System sounds pretty good. Worth listening to a setup to decide for yourself. Not difficult to retrofit if you can follow a wiring diagram and are happy to do a bit of soldering. Many people rip out the system but I like it so took it out of a car I'm breaking to put in my Rev5.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Both my previous UK rev2's (one t bar, one sunroof) had the two sub system, my import rev3 didnt have it but i retrofitted it.

Wiring isn't there, you need a full cockpit loom from one that has it....i then removed the audio wiring from the loom and ran it next to existing car loom. Only other bits you need are the subs, grills, and autoleads adapter.

Only issue i had was someone had chopped the headunit connectors off my loom, which i've refitted but have developed some interferance....so if you can get one thats uncut it'd be much easier.
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

acf8181 wrote:Both my previous UK rev2's (one t bar, one sunroof) had the two sub system, my import rev3 didnt have it but i retrofitted it.

Wiring isn't there, you need a full cockpit loom from one that has it....i then removed the audio wiring from the loom and ran it next to existing car loom. Only other bits you need are the subs, grills, and autoleads adapter.

Only issue i had was someone had chopped the headunit connectors off my loom, which i've refitted but have developed some interferance....so if you can get one thats uncut it'd be much easier.

Exactly how I did it. You also need the 3 amplifiers. I fed the 3 blue/yellow power wires with a direct battery fused link for good clean power. I also had to repin the adapter to sort out interference as its a known issue on certain ones.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

stuMR2eye wrote:
acf8181 wrote:Both my previous UK rev2's (one t bar, one sunroof) had the two sub system, my import rev3 didnt have it but i retrofitted it.

Exactly how I did it. You also need the 3 amplifiers. I fed the 3 blue/yellow power wires with a direct battery fused link for good clean power. I also had to repin the adapter to sort out interference as its a known issue on certain ones.

oh yeah, the amps.....knew i was forgetting something lol

can you remember the details of the re-pin?
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

It's an earthing issue.

See this thread: http://mr2oc.co.uk/ocforum/viewtopic.php?t=131722
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

cheers...i shall give that a go when i put in the cup holder i've ordered
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

stuMR2eye wrote:It's an earthing issue.

See this thread: http://mr2oc.co.uk/ocforum/viewtopic.php?t=131722

have added a question on that link, don't suppose you happen to know the answer?
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Replied on thread.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

awesome thanks

shall try it tomoz.....then i'll only need to work out why my rear speakers (but not subs) have suddenly stopped working!
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Could be a faulty main amp on the rear side. Subs have their own amps. Or other wiring fault.

Check signal at speakers with a multimeter.

Return to “ICE and Security”