MR2 MK 1 WONT START

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

darrell

MR2 MK 1 WONT START

Post by darrell »

MY 1990 MK1 MR2 WONT START,I DROVE IT FROM HOME THE OTHER DAY AND AT 300M THE ENGINE JUST STOPPED AND HASNT FIRED UP SINCE IT JUST KEEPS TURNING OVER , I NEED TO GO THROUGH SOME PROCESS OF ELIMINATION WHAT SUGGESTIONS HAS ANYONE GOT AND WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP.[/b]
crazylegs

Re: MR2 MK 1 WONT START

Post by crazylegs »

tell us a bit more.did it splutter ,where any warning lights on,have you checked for a spark and is there any petrol in it!
darrell

Post by darrell »

NOT SO MUCH AS A SPLUTTER, JUST HELD BACK A BIT AND THEN TOOK OFF, IVE PUT MORE FUEL IN IT CHECKED FUSES ,HT LEADS , CAP I WILL CHANGE THE PLUGS TODAY AND CHECK FOR A SPARK....IF THEIR IS A SPARK WHERE DO I GO FROM THEIR??? COULD IT BE THE FUEL PUMP, I HAVE ANOTHER MR2 I USE FOR PARTS SO I CAN KEEP SWAPPING THINGS, WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP AND HOW DO I CHECK IT, CHEERS , DARRELL
superchargedsam

Post by superchargedsam »

fuel pump sits inside the fuel tank and is a total PITA to get at so not an easy one and wants to be your last por of call ! Have you checked all earth points as I have had this recently ?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

It is extremely unlikely that it is the fuel pump tbh.

It must be electrical I would have thought. Check condition of rotor arm and dizzy cap for signs of tracking.

PS: Can you please lose the CAPS LOCK.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

darrell wrote:THE ENGINE JUST STOPPED AND HASNT FIRED UP SINCE IT JUST KEEPS TURNING OVER

what do you mean by this - there must be some of the starter electrics working, but have you found a spark?
A horrible thought .... has the cam belt snapped? (just sounds a bit like when mine went in another car - just turned over but no firing)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Other possible is no signal from dizzy sensor.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Yes, I am thinking the same thing. Apparently this engine doesn't crank hardly any faster after a cambelt snappage (unlike my Fiat Coupe :roll: which virtually redlined after I'd snapped the belt and bent 12 valves ](*,) )

I have never heard anyone posting about broken fuel pumps, I think that is really unlikely.

Check the spark first. You don't even need to remove one of yours. Just get any old spark plug, connect one of the HT leads and hold the bottom electrode against the engine.

No point in posting any further steps until you've tried this.....
darrell

MR2 MK1 NOT STARTING

Post by darrell »

Hi, where are the earth points on the car, will be testing for spark later, should it be a continuous spark like on a gas oven or sporadic.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

:? No, it will be a sporadic spark! :P

Just earth it anywhere. Clean off a suspension mount top stud or something. Check resistance against the earthing point on the engine if you are not sure.

By the way make sure you hold the spark plug with some decent insulated pliers. I've had a jolt from a HT circuit and I can guarantee you it's not a nice experience! If you haven't got any decent pliers just wrap a dry towel around the handle.

HTH
darrell

mk1 not starting

Post by darrell »

incorrect, batt fine fuses fine and when testing spark could smell fresh fuel from the de plugged chamber...........no spark????????????????????????????????????????
lodgeman

Post by lodgeman »

try the coil and igniter off of your spares car
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

just to eliminate something else - you don't have a car alarm or immobiliser?
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

If my mk1b fails to start (extremely rare) it is prone to flooding. (at least I think it's flooded)

Once it gets like this the ONLY way to get it to start is to pump the throttle as I crank the engine. Even then it can take 5 or 6 seconds for the engine to slowly catch.

Try pushing the throttle to the floor whilst you crank the starter. Hold it at full throttle for a few seconds whilst still cranking, then pump and hold the throttle again. This technique works for my car.

Once flooded there is no way the car will start in the normal way (i.e. with no throttle) the engine just whizzes round on the starter as if the plug leads are not connected.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”