Mr2s first drag session, Updated with video.

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Mr2s first drag session, Updated with video.

Post by Ryan S »

had the car at Crail today with some of the guys from the Edinburgh Sports Car Club, Didn't get there till after 1pm as I had to come into work this morning, It was insanely windy so I could have got in a few more runs if i really wanted as it was dead, First run was a disaster, rolled forward off the line so reversed back just as the lights changed :lol: :lol:

Best time of the day was 13.874 @ 100.4mph, was only running one bar of boost, also on 215 wide Michelin Primacys, I cannot wait to get them off, a horrible horrible tyre!!!

Raced Calum (synXero) in his Corvette a couple of times, Had him off the line in 2 races but his torque through 3rd and 4th pipped me both times, It also sounds amaaaazing!!!!

apart from the wind and some clutch slip it was a good day :)

84mph run was when I'd reversed haha and the 75mph one was due to clutch slip, think I rode the clutch during gear change slightly, obviously not intentionall, Did my best run of the day right after it with no slip at all.

gonna set my boost controller up for a solid 17psi, it reset itself after being in the bodyshop with a flat battery so long :(

EDIT: why is this post a poll?? I never wanted that :roll:
Last edited by Ryan S on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2mad

Re: Mr2s first drag session, Updated with video.

Post by 2mad »

100mph over a 1/4 miles not to shabby ... well done mate .. sure there will be more to come .. if you caught the bug :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:100mph over a 1/4 miles not to shabby ... well done mate .. sure there will be more to come .. if you caught the bug :D

yeah deffo, my mate's dad who was there with me filmed my best run so i'll get it up on youtube, can see my boost controller/gauge holding a fairly solid 14psi so I can't wait to get it up to 17psi, also, we timed my 0-60 time on my best run and it was 6 seconds :( a bloody awful 0-60 time for one of these :oops:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I think with a bit of fettling you could hit 110 or higher , no problem ... its all good fun at the end of the day :D

Unless you've caught the bug .. then a v8 twin turbo i see in your future :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:I think with a bit of fettling you could hit 110 or higher , no problem ... its all good fun at the end of the day :D

Unless you've caught the bug .. then a v8 twin turbo i see in your future :lol:

Yeah man, i think even with better tyres alone i could get there, the drag strips just a bit of fun, for real speed i use the bike, i think in a couple of years i might do something with the engine, it would make most likely be a conversion of some sort though, throwing money at a 3sgte is just foolish if you want beyond 400bhp. Deffo not worth the risk in my opinion.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah lol i was only messing with the v8 .. but yeah .. tuning a 3sgte for the drag strip could become a passion. looking forward to future time slips :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:Yeah lol i was only messing with the v8 .. but yeah .. tuning a 3sgte for the drag strip could become a passion. looking forward to future time slips :D

I can only name one car that hasn't had cracked block issues and i'm not even sure is was a 3s block, i'd like to get a reliable 400bhp from it but i'm in no rush :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I would go for a solid 12 second pass .. shouldn't be to stressful on the block .. keep it fun :D .. car looks bad a*s by the way :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I reckon i could get into the 12s now, the car was running beautifully today, really really bang on! I'm reckon with fatter tyres, 17lbs of boost and my chargecooler fitted (which would eliminate a bit of lag) i could get into high 12s. The 0-60 time was really letting me down :(

Had a few nice comments about the car today, cheers man :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah, chargecooler and fettling should see some good 1/4 mile numbers :D

Good luck mate :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

My times were with a passenger today as well :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihdKoVt ... e=youtu.be

a wee video of me and calum (synXero) having a race, Looks like i won but I didn't :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azbghHzGfW0

fastest run against a Cooper S. the thing was bloody quick too!!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Car looked striking in the first vid :thumleft: quite like it spoiler-less .. not saying a low bgw want look sweet though :D

Second vid .. nice launch and pass :clap:

Looked a fun day out :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Totally squats right down eh?? I'm loving the spoilerless look too :shock:

Looking forward to doing more drag racing now :) think i might buy an engine block and work on it in my garage over the course of next year. We'll see!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:

Looking forward to doing more drag racing now :) think i might buy an engine block and work on it in my garage over the course of next year. We'll see!

Sounds a lot of fun to me / i got right in to polish & porting . would love to build my own engine - man points lol :mrgreen:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nice work!
is always good fun.

probably had slip like me!

though with 99/100mph terminals your prob only making 260hp at the moment which means theres room for improvement with an extra psi or 2 and cc.

i very much doubt 110mph terminals are possible without a decent turbo upgrade and getting 12s WONT be easy. do not assume this is a given unless you have an incredible launch, another 40hp and perfect changes!

what did synXero manage?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

His fastest time was 13.86, a mere 100th less than my fastest. The wind was incredible that day, something i forgot to mention, i'd actually lifted off (and on a couple of runs i actually braked) on most of my runs as the car was being blow accross the track!! The timing gear was also getting blown about all day :( power wasn't an issue at all, i was only running just under 14psi. My main problem was grip off the line, we timed my 0-60 and it was 6 seconds :( rear tyres being only 215 wide did me no favour either :(

EDIT: Here's what happened before I left for Crail, this is the old Comet building across from my carwash, this sign has been there for 20 years or thereabouts :shock: :shock:

the wind picked the sign up again after this and blew down the street!!
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

When i went upto Crail in summer I did two runs, the first I completely missed second like a tard.

On my second run all went ok but found it tricky getting grip off the line however I am sure my time slip said 14.299s @ 100mph (remember being happy about the 100 part haha)

Why although I am hitting 100mph would my time be so much slower than yours :-k also my reaction time for both runs was around 0.7s

What a blast though can't wait for next summer

P.s Sheppy your car is looking slick, TRD wing :whistle:
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

reaction times do not count on public drag days, so ignore that.
you could wait on the line when its green for 60 seconds and still pull a 14 second time.

time difference to 100, down to a number of things. the launch, speed of shifts, power etc. basically any or all of these things.

sheppy, grip off the line you may of had trouble with, but 2.1 60ft times are not bad. with more grip, means more chance of bogging down! (and/or breaking things and clutch slipping!).
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I would take the times with a hug pinch of salt, honestly the gear at crail is awful, put it this way, there was a 400 and a 550bhp mr2 there, the best time i seen from the 550bhp one was in the 12s, both were easily capable of 11s, running slicks etc....there was just too many odd times to believe much of the info on the timeslips. Crail is also bowed really bad, like it goes uphill then downhill, surface is terrible and the runoff is only about 1/8th mile. I'd love to have a crack on Santa Pod or somewhere with a decent track/gear. I couldn't comment on 60ft times Jim as i've no idea what's good and bad but i could deffo get my 0-60mph time down by at least a second!! When i had 245s on my rev2 the 0-60 was ridiculous!! The michelin eco tyres i have just now just spin, i was having to lift off and pedal in 2nd gear to get going :)

Return to “Driving Experiences”