5SGTE Build Complete

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

^Trickster^

5SGTE Build Complete

Post by ^Trickster^ »

After cracking a couple of 3s based blocks, the last one being 8 weeks ago I decided to get a 5S block instead this time, I decided to run the 3s crank to have the engine oversquare so I sold the 5s crank.

I had to wait for the pistons to be made as they are 87.5mm (5s is natively 87mm standard bore) so this took 6 weeks, I receievd them 3 weeks ago and had the block machined straight away.

I also did some other alterations to the engine while I was on and I had some wiring alterations to make too.

I put the car back on the road last saturday and put 60 miles of light boost partial throttle driving on the engine, changed the oil out and put another 100 miles on, then on thursday drove 260 miles to the dyno, more mileage than i wanted on it before the dyno really but I will only have Ryan G map the car and its worth the drive.

We went for a safe map as we have a 2500mile trip to italy next month, and this session was mainly about making sure the engine stayed in one piece! It made 580hp @ 1.5bar and at 1.8bar it was wheel spinning and we werent getting an acurate reading, Ryan took some timing out for longevity sake and estimated it around 600hp at 1.8bar

I have some other things I want to do and alter so will run it up to 2.2bar next year and get some solid figures for those who need to see graphs.

I had a 6 point cage welded in last year and put some 4 pots on the front, its on coilovers and usual other supporting mods but I wont bore everyone with a list.

Aside from the roll cage and machining of the engine parts I built this car myself completely.

Graeme

^Trickster^

Re: 5SGTE Build Complete

Post by ^Trickster^ »

^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Nice! What year block have you got? Get some rca's :thumleft:
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Thanks, its a 99 with the recast area around the water pump.

rca's? As in camber adjusters that go between the hub and bottom ball joint? Or am i way off? haha
ashley

Post by ashley »

Good work!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What turbo are you running?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Ah nice. I just acquired a 5s but she's an early one,not sure whether to bother or not.

Yeah roll centre adjusters bang on.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Do they make a noticable difference?

Id still rather build a old 5s block than a 3s block, they can still crack around the water pump but the cylinder walls are so much stronger.

Depends on power level too, i cracked mine at 500hp after 20k of hard driving, the second cracked on the dyno at 700hp, just too much stress, they even crack with block girdles, just bad casting.

Also i think the water pump fitment stresses it more too, its bolted right on the edge and has all the pressure of the belt pulling hard on that corner, just a bad recipe.

How early is your block? they did start them from a 96 apparently, have you pulled it apart to see if it has the square corner?

Graeme
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

ashley: GT35R mate
ashley

Post by ashley »

^Trickster^ wrote:ashley: GT35R mate

Impressive work mate, I wish I'd had the courage to throw my block together myself as well now- was just too nervous about getting the oilways properly cleaned out. Have a great drive down to Italy- should be a blast! :thumleft: :thumleft:
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Thanks mate, we went to belgium in it last year, this is a bit further tho!

You should give it a go, satisfying and nerve wrecking building your own tho haha, getting it cleaned out isnt bad, good jet wash and alot of clean rags and time is all you need!

Graeme
ashley

Post by ashley »

I did build my 3S NA, but despite being ultra careful cleaning everything out, I still managed to miss some debris in the oil system (somehow), and wrote off two cam shafts and a cylinder head #-o After that, I'm super nervous about a repeat performance, turbo parts are just so much more expensive :lol: :lol:

Next time I will go for it myself though :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Excellent work mate! Got to be happy with that!
:clap:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Nice work Graeme :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Proper sleeper !!! Love it mate!!
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

[quote="^Trickster^"]Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc163/Tr1ck5ter/83240852-e1d4-4639-9d4b-9f1fb4e6e389_zpsf66e1410.jpg[/URL]

Nice one mate

My missus want even get in the car,let alone get in a dyno room with it :D
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Thanks guys

She was checking the base timing, for real haha

She monitors engine datalogs and gauges while I race lol, she loves cars and f1 so I'm lucky, we going to Italy to Monza for the f1 race
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Another incredible big power build on here, well done :clap:
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

^Trickster^ wrote:Thanks guys

She was checking the base timing, for real haha

She monitors engine datalogs and gauges while I race lol, she loves cars and f1 so I'm lucky, we going to Italy to Monza for the f1 race

I don't know which I'm more envious of! The engine is sweet, whats the displacement on the stock 3S crank?
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Thought it looked like a ignition timing light she's holding, my wife hates cars/Motorsport or anything fast/loud or fun.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”