Official TTE Roadster Turbo (Breaking news)

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markiii

Official TTE Roadster Turbo (Breaking news)

Post by markiii »

Firstly apologies to the admins if this is treading on toes or in the wrong section. As personally I'm not a fan of crosslinking to other boards.

However as I don't have the ability to duplicate a news item here andI'm sure you guys are interested as well I'm taking the liberty.

The Roadster Owners Club have just received news from TTE with regard to an offical Roadster Turbo.

The full story can be found here..

http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index. ... ticleid=49
Bender Unit

Re: Official TTE Roadster Turbo (Breaking news)

Post by Bender Unit »

Unless your a member you cant view ....
markiii

Post by markiii »

bu88er forgot about that.

I'm online all day so if anyone wants to register I will autorise you ASAP.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Copy and paste?

Really would like to know what's happening. Can't register due to not using a PC at the moment.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Copy and paste?

Really would like to know what's happening. Can't register due to not using a PC at the moment.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Cheers Mark,

TTE are obviously feeling the heat from all the aftermarket kits which are on sale now for the Roadster - Hass, PE, HKS, and C2 Power. These kits don't include the extra chassis stiffening that Toyota do, but with Corky brest plate and some TRD strut braces you're there for £500ish.

The price they quote of 5500 Euros is £3,700, and I assume the usual caevat applies that you'd have to take your car in person to TTE in Germany to install it, and leave it with them for a few days -factor in another 600-800 for travel and accomodation, and maybe some laps of the Nurburgring ;) which brings the price to just under £5k. Ouch ! :shock:

The other downside is that they 'only' get 189 bhp out of the engine which is very conservative - I know you and Sean have seen 250bhp which in a sub 1000kgs car is a huge power/weight figure. Mine is running at 220bhp which is roughly the same power/weight as my old tuned Mk2 Turbo, and certainly plenty fast enough.

If warranty and TUV approval was a big issue (eg you live elsewere in the EU where its a legal requirement ) then I could see the kit having value - but personally I'm very happy with spending ~ £3k on an aftermarket PE turbo kit and getting it fitted - you get better performance, and keep £2k in your back pocket for other modifications
markiii

Post by markiii »

I've taken an exec decision and made the news section visible to non members for you.

hopefully teh rest of teh ROC admins won't slap me too hard :?

while you guys can't post in this thread unless registered http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8367

you can at least follow the discussions on ROC.

for comparison Ben mine isn't dynoed yet but is only running 5psi so I doubt is breaching 200bhp in reality
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Very interesting points there, Ben, but have you considered resale prices? For example, how much would an officially tuned car from TTE fetch compared to something that's been done solely as aftermarket?
Dino
-----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
Click here for MR2 Mania Website
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

markiii wrote:I've taken an exec decision and made the news section visible to non members for you.

while you guys can't post in this thread unless registered http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8367

for comparison Ben mine isn't dynoed yet but is only running 5psi so I doubt is breaching 200bhp in reality

Thats great news...cheers fot that.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

MR2Mania wrote:Very interesting points there, Ben, but have you considered resale prices? For example, how much would an officially tuned car from TTE fetch compared to something that's been done solely as aftermarket?

Fair point Dino.

IMO - If the modification was done in the UK, and recognisied by (eg) Insurance companies and Dealers as a Model of Roadster sold in the UK thorugh official channels, then I would expect higher resale values as it has a higher performance and specification. Ie the same situation as the GT-S vs GT's for Mk2s.

But the problem is that in effect, it is an aftermarket modification that TTE do, albeit compelted with Toyota's blessing and warranty. Therefore, I can't see it commanding a premium over any of the other aftermarket kits.

Mods like this I'd classify as fairly extreme.

For example, looking at the costs of my PE turbo setup, I worked out I'd have been able to buy a brand new standard Roadster for the amount I've spent buying my base 2003 car and then installing the PE turbo kit and chargecoooler .

If I were to sell mine (not very likely though!) I would only expect a proportion of the costs of the modification I've done to be reflected into the resale value. For example, I sold my Mk2 for less than the cost of all the receipts for parts and workshop work that had been competed in the last 3 years or so (!)

Its a sobering thought, but when you're modifying a car, make sure you're doing it for yourself and not for some idea of a higher resale value - unless of course you find an entheusiast to buy the car from you.

But getting back to the original post. Turbo'd roadsters - great to see, Toyota should have made this an option when they lauched the car. It gives the VX220R and Superchared 240R Elises a serious run for their money, at a mcuh more wallet friendly price point.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

markiii wrote:I've taken an exec decision and made the news section visible to non members for you.

Ta for that Mark - that will no doubt stir up some discussion - Pistonheads will pick it up in 6 month's time or so ;)

From the passenger seat at Elvington, yours certainly felt like it had masses of low down torque, evne at 5psi - your GT28 probably is more efficent than my smaller IHI derived PE turbo and is probably flowing similar volumes of air to mine when wound up at 7psi.

But go on, get yours on a Dyno. FWIW, there is a session coming up at Enging Advantages in Witham next month - fancy coming up to that?
markiii

Post by markiii »

if there space put me down
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Mark, Done:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 194#153194

The nominal 30 spaces for the day are full, but there's a reserve list and you're on it. Last time Frank ran the day we had a few pull out at last moment, so there were plenty of spare spaces (I did a second power run)
so I'm fairly sure we can fit you in. Do you think we can get a few other Roadsters to run as well?
markiii

Post by markiii »

quite possibly, why not float it at ROC,
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

markiii wrote:quite possibly, why not float it at ROC,

OK, if its OK for me to post the deatils up there, will do :thumleft:
DaMonsta

Post by DaMonsta »

Hmm, the MR-S, it looks just like the flaming car Toyota should have released in the very first place!

I admit I'm sorely tempted.

The original MK3, in my view, is nothing more than a motorised slug and I'll be darned if I'm going to fit one of these aftermaket bodge-turbo kits. I want a proper car built by a proper manufacturer, not some half-baked add-on.

I'll take one in red, please.

That may just be the car I am looking for to replace mine.

Regards,
Jim

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”