Mk1b timing!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

un1eash

Mk1b timing!

Post by un1eash »

Hi there, my mk1b runs fine but has a few little things i want to get sorted. Ive decide to get the timing done now as i think this could be the source of my problems. I had the cambelt changed and developed a ticking noise from the top end, i also sometimes get an exhaust pop when changing from 2nd gear. Ive also noticed if i hold the revs at 1900-2000 rpm the exhaust constantly pops.

So can i reset the ecu and will this make any difference plus will i deff need a timing gun to do the timing??

Cheers for any help
crazylegs

Re: Mk1b timing!

Post by crazylegs »

yes you can reset the ecu but it probably wont make any difference.you should pull a fault code though,this might give you some ideas.with the ignition off bridge terminals t and e1 in the diagnostic box.turn on the ignition,but dont start the car,and count the flashes on the dash.you are looking for a flash pause,flash,pause continuously.this indicates the ecu has detected no problems.if not get back to us and we can go on from here.
assuming there are no codes shown you can the think about the timing.with the terminals still bridged start the car.you will need a strobe .shine the light onto the crank pulleyand check the position of the marker.it should be on the centre mark 10 degrees btdc.if not adjust the distributor.when set at 10 remove the bridge wire and the timing should advance to more than 12degrees,past the right hand mark.thats it done simple really.get the timing set right and then investigate any other problems.otherwise you could waste hours hunting for things that dont exist.if you still get the popping with the timing adjusted my next step would be a vacuum leak
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Resetting the mk1 ECU will just clear any fault codes from the ECU RAM. (If the fault is still there the ECU will quickly restore the error code in RAM)

The ONLY things the ECU remembers from journey to journey are the fault codes. Every time you turn on the ignition virtually all the RAM gets erased and filled with default settings. Only the RAM addresses that contain the fault codes avoid the erasing (for obvious reasons!)

Therefore the mk1 ECU has no self learning capability from journey to journey.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I do think i have a slight leak as i can hear a faint hissing somewhere from the inlet, also i think theres a leak from around the exhuast manifold. I plan on investigating this when i get a complete stainless steal exhaust system and will be replacing the manifold gaskets.

ps. I have no fault codes
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

to add if you use 95 ron it will pink (the popping you hear) more often even if the timing is correct,use 97 ron or ideally optimax.

If you already use these then ignore me.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”