[Mk2] [NA] JapSpeed Decat Exhaust MOT?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2matt

[Mk2] [NA] JapSpeed Decat Exhaust MOT?

Post by mr2matt »

Hi guys

I have read through the sticky CAT/No CAT emissions thread and searched through a few other similar threads but can't find the information I'm looking for and need some advise.

So basically I have just fitted a JapSpeed decat exhaust to my UK 1998 NA Rev 5, and whilst it sounds amazing and I love driving my car even more now, there's something else on my mind... MOT emissions ](*,)

My MOT is due in about 2 months and whilst my current plan is to refit the CAT and standard exhaust a few weeks before the MOT, I've read around about some cars making it through their emissions even with a decat, provided they have a good service and engine cleaner chugged through a few days before the test. Has anyone ever passed their MOT emissions with a JapSpeed decat exhaust fitted to their mr2? If so what did you do to help this and how close was it to passing/failing? :lol:

Regards,

Matt
pistol pete

Re: [Mk2] [NA] JapSpeed Decat Exhaust MOT?

Post by pistol pete »

UK cars will fail as they have to have a cat on whether they pass the emmisions or not with a de-cat.. (i Believe anyway) someone will confirm soon i am sure
synXero

Post by synXero »

I'm 90% certain your car will never, ever pass with a decat regardless of how well serviced it is.
mr2matt

Thank you

Post by mr2matt »

Thank for your quick responses guys :)

I guess my only option is to play it safe and refit my standard exhaust and CAT a week before my MOT then ](*,) unless I can 'convince' my mate who owns a MOT qualified garage to cast a blind eye over it :lol:

Thank again fella's

Matt
bashracing

Post by bashracing »

AS FROM LAST YEAR THE MOT TEST REQUIRES THE TESTER TO CHECK FOR THE PRESENCE OF THE CAT ON ALL UK VEHICLES FIRST USED ON OR AFTER 1ST AUG 1992, SO SHOULD FAIL UNLESS YOU CAN FIND A SYMPATHETIC TESTER.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

bashracing wrote:AS FROM LAST YEAR THE MOT TEST REQUIRES THE TESTER TO CHECK FOR THE PRESENCE OF THE CAT ON ALL UK VEHICLES FIRST USED ON OR AFTER 1ST AUG 1992, SO SHOULD FAIL UNLESS YOU CAN FIND A 0161 483 4810 TESTER.

Why the block capitals?

"sympathetic" - you mean bent.

New rule bit irrelevant really since a car won't pass cat emissions test without a cat fitted.

So in reality, nothing has changed.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

synXero wrote:I'm 90% certain your car will never, ever pass with a decat regardless of how well serviced it is.

Correct.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Does anyone know if the MoT emissions has changed for Import Turbos made between 08/92 and 08/95 as my mot tester showed the criteria he had to test to emissions. It said that you need a letter from the manufacturer declaring that your car didn't have a cat fitted?
No 2 :(
bashracing

Post by bashracing »

sorry caps lock was on,
yes 'bent' is what i meant, sympathetic sounds nicer though
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:Does anyone know if the MoT emissions has changed for Import Turbos made between 08/92 and 08/95 as my mot tester showed the criteria he had to test to emissions. It said that you need a letter from the manufacturer declaring that your car didn't have a cat fitted?

Since last year, if car had cat fitted from new, it is still supposed to be present. Regardless of whether your car requires a cat test or not.

However, since there are no details of imports on the MOT database, the tester won't know whether it had a cat fitted or not.

So in relaity nothing has changed.

Your MOT tester said get mummy to write a letter? :lol:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I'm sure it was more specific than that. It passed fine......
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Even if Toyota would write a letter, which of course they won't, they will say it had a cat fitted. Which doesn't really help you. So not really sure what your tester is on about. :?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:Does anyone know if the MoT emissions has changed for Import Turbos made between 08/92 and 08/95 as my mot tester showed the criteria he had to test to emissions.

Turbos don't appear in the MOT database as there is no UK equivalent model. :?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

He was going by the literature in front of him printed off the VOSA website.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:He was going by the literature in front of him printed off the VOSA website.

OK.
bashracing

Post by bashracing »

Fom vosa '17th edition in service emissions standards' book
this is in regards to import car built between these dates.

Some passenger cars first used during the “transition” period (i.e. 1 August 1992 to 1 August 1995) were not required to be manufactured to the EC standards
requiring advanced emissions control systems to be fitted. For these vehicles the
non-catalyst test will be applied. Owners of vehicles which were first used during this
transition period, are advised to check the entries in the Annex to this booklet or
contact the vehicle manufacturer.

The only engines in the annex are the 3s-fe and 3s-ge (nothing about gte)
the gte first used between these dates will have a non cat test which doesn't require the "check for presence of cat" part of the test
Last edited by bashracing on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I know what everyone is saying and i said the exact same things to him. He was ok with it all but when I read what he had printed out it did read as if it should fail going by what VOSA had written down. When I next see him I will ask for a copy.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Just found this on a few websites and I think it was what he showed me;

The vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use-The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.
e.g. A 1995 car first used in Africa has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet Catalyst emission limits, then use the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC )200ppm.
bashracing

Post by bashracing »

I see you're local to me if you ask your tester to contact paul stagnell at vosa wetherby who will be his regional vehicle examiner he will be able to explain the situation on grey imports and cat tests,
Last edited by bashracing on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

MR2 Rich wrote:Just found this on a few websites and I think it was what he showed me;

The vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use-The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.
e.g. A 1995 car first used in Africa has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet Catalyst emission limits, then use the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC )200ppm.

That rule applies to post 1995 imports.

Your query asked about pre 1995 imports.

I say again, the whole point about pre 95 imports not requiring a cat test is because there is no data on them.

I honestly can't believe an MOT tester does not know the basic rules on imports.

Return to “Mechanical”