Brake disc sizes

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RedWitch

Brake disc sizes

Post by RedWitch »

Can anyone advise me of the correct sizes of the front & rear brake discs for a Mk1 registered in 11/1986

This site Brakeparts.co.uk shows dirfferent sizes depending on when the car was manufactured. Good prices!

Front
243 x 18 (-8/86) or 258 x 22 (8/86-)

Rear
240 x 10 (-8/86) or 263 x 10 (8/86-)

Based upon my VIN the corresponding Mr T part numbers are

Front: 43512-20080 Rear: 42431-17010

But they couldn't tell me the sizes

Thanks
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Brake disc sizes

Post by Lauren »

If it was registered 11/86 its probably an august 86 car or so.

It should be a MK1a so would be the smaller of the two sizes.

Putting your chassis number into the EPC would tell you for sure.

Basically if:
It has air filter by the battery
two-tone seats
early interior (ie levers for heater controls)
flush engine vent ie two vents.

then it is an early car.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

Thanks, it is an early model in that case
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

How's this for good service - ordered a pair of front & rear discs at 4pm yesterday and they just turned up, total of £108 with the VAT and shipping. Won't have chance to fit them till the W/end though.

http://www.brakesint.co.uk/
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

RedWitch wrote:How's this for good service - ordered a pair of front & rear discs at 4pm yesterday and they just turned up, total of £108 with the VAT and shipping. Won't have chance to fit them till the W/end though.

http://www.brakesint.co.uk/

yep Brakes Int are pretty good.
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

That's a good deal on those discs - I was having a look at their website yesterday. Are the discs a good quality make as I'd never heard of the manufacturer?

Is it better to spend the cash on good pads and standard discs? I'm wondering what to put on my SC - I'm presuming it has the same discs as a mk1b. I'm thinking of putting EBC green pads on the front since I really liked them when I had them on my NA. Not sure what pads to put on the rear since they don't do as much.

Hmmm. Any recommendations welcomed! I would be interested to hear if you think the Brakes International discs are decent.

Cheers
Andrew
MartG

Post by MartG »

After exploring the limits of my standard brakes at Elvington, I've just ordered a set of grooved disks made by Mtec100 ( originally saw them advertised on ebay ) - £152 inc. delivery for a set of 4 for a mk1b. Also ordered a set of Greenstuff pads for the front, but staying with std pads on the back, and a set of Goodridge brake hoses.

I'll post up some pics when it all arrives.

However no.1 son wants me to paint the calipers red - any opinions :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MartG wrote:After exploring the limits of my standard brakes at Elvington, I've just ordered a set of grooved disks made by Mtec100 ( originally saw them advertised on ebay ) - £152 inc. delivery for a set of 4 for a mk1b. Also ordered a set of Greenstuff pads for the front, but staying with std pads on the back, and a set of Goodridge brake hoses.

I'll post up some pics when it all arrives.

However no.1 son wants me to paint the calipers red - any opinions :lol:

I don't think the paint on the calipers will last, so it won't look very nice in a few months time. I'd leave them bare personally, or if you have to paint them do them black.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Lauren wrote:I don't think the paint on the calipers will last, so it won't look very nice in a few months time. I'd leave them bare personally, or if you have to paint them do them black.

If he does nag me into doing it - he can keep them clean ! :lol: ( didn't work with his bedroom though :lol: )
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

Lunarmatic wrote:That's a good deal on those discs - I was having a look at their website yesterday. Are the discs a good quality make as I'd never heard of the manufacturer?

Hmmm. Any recommendations welcomed! I would be interested to hear if you think the Brakes International discs are decent.

Cheers
Andrew

The discs that come from Brakes Intl are made by "Nipparts", never heard of them but they look fine and fit perfectly. Since I'm not planning on doing any heavy metal stuff in her they are fine for my requirements. And at that price who can complain?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”