Going to buy a facelift MK3

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

Going to buy a facelift MK3

Post by toxo »

Going to see a 53 plate MK3 at the weekend. In black, it's got heated black leather interior. Looks tidy for the price. Do you still need to be aware of oval bores, precat failure, etc on the facelift? What are the service intervals like? I'll be taking my OBD2 code reader and a decent inspection lamp!

Oh yeah, it's an SMT :lol: I'm assured that it shifts perfectly but will be giving it a rigorous test drive. I'm only planning on owning it for summer, for some trips abroad, so what can go wrong lol. I'm well aware that if the gearbox or gearbox ECU fails it will write the car off.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
aussieGT

Re: Going to buy a facelift MK3

Post by aussieGT »

toxo wrote:

SMT
shifts perfectly
trips abroad
go wrong.
gearbox ECU fails

Delete the second line... :silent:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

lol, well that remains to be seen!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

toxo wrote:Do you still need to be aware of oval bores, precat failure, etc on the facelift?

Oval bores no, precat failure yes as my first mk3 was one of only a handful of 03+ cars to have suffered from the issue. Twice as it happens: Once when I checked the precats after about 5K miles from new, then when I made Toyota replace them under warranty I gutted the new manifold 3 days later, and the new ones had started to crack as well.

Good quality, they really ain't. That said, if it's done 80K + miles then really they're not going to go at any point, but I'd expect a man of your calibre to be ripping them out any way :)

It'll be fine bud, they're strong as anything really.
RST

Post by RST »

When I was looking the other year -post face lift still potentially suffered from CEL and excessive oil usage (the 'roc still said to get rid of the pre-cats, I did on my PFL and it still passed emissions anyway). I know of one person on the forums who insisted his pre-cats were changed for new ones, much to the dismay of everyone else as they've been seen to go from 10k from new. You just don't need them in the UK!

If it's a UK car -check for rust along the sill, rear cross member and also around the top of the windscreen. 3 out of 4 cars I saw has signs of pretty bad rot along the top by the windscreen rubber (much worse than MK2's), 2/3 had CEL's (lambda sensor apparently just a re-set but none were done on starting them up on the forecourt) so not a good advert. I just walked away from cars with CEL's, as usual, if it was that easy -fix it before selling and therte's too many MK3's to choose otherwise.

On allot of roofs I saw they'd never seen a dressing in 5-10 years, most cars have never seen a proper clean / dressing, because they were so commonly available.

Interior is quite plasticky -check for signs of wear, if someone's removed trim for some reason -if they don't wrap the screwdriver it marks the trim easy. The hinges on the rear storage bins are quite crude -plastic cracks easy enough. There was too much superglue on parts on the cars I saw.

Check the tyres, my first MR-S had cheap and different ones and still convinced was half the reason the car spun / wrote-off in quite reasonable conditions. My second Roadster was not much better until I got wheels / tyres on it. It's definitely a bargaining point until you get your choice of tyres on.

If I was buying again I'd check under the bonnet -storage bin hinges fail (cheap replacement but an arguing point). The PS pipes are particularly exposed -check they're OK if you can take a mirror.

Folk flap about "original radios etc" but as long as they haven't fecked anything making something fit -you can just walk into Halfords and buy the adapters easy. Some of them also have broken aerial masts (same symptoms as any other Toyota).

SMT: My second Roadster was SMT and I quite liked it, but I never ended up using the the buttons on the wheel. Check them though as they're known to go. I didn't mind the SMT and there's allot of fans -but there's a connection you have to make with it, I found you can't just bang your foot down and shift-up. When you sync your hand and foot it works well, but is a bit non-intuative to the uninitiated and maybe puts allot of folk off. It is interesting watching it down-shift itself though (way better than I could ever double D clutch). It should shift quite quick but it's not as stupid as an auto. There's a bit of a balance. SMT fluid is the same as EHPS fluid for both the MK2 and MK3. I wouldn't knock a good SMT to be honest.

It's allot noisier than a MK 2 -sounds way more mechanical. Too small an engine for me,but as far as "more modern cars"go quite likeable. The clutch is the same as a M/T (or near enough), but so long as the auto shifts timely with no delay.

...That was a bit long winded but passing on thoughts/ experience from when I was looking .
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

I tried to sell my Silver SMT 03 plate 78000 miles with leather etc it was mint and the SMT worked fine but couldn't sell it until I dropped the price to £1900. Normal obd2 readers wont read the SMT ECU but if you get Toyota techstream it will read everything. Theres really not a lot to go wrong with them worse case you might have to take it to Toyota to get the ECU reset by their computer but even that costs under £100 lots of folk are scared of them because not a lot of people know how to fix them you can use that as a lever when you go to view a car and get it cheap. I paid £750 for mine and spent £50 repairing the SMT. I did have to get a new screen tax and a MOT in the time I had it but I drove it for 8 months with out a problem
RST

Post by RST »

Never heard of SMT not being OBDII -readable before, unless you had a cheap E-Bay reader, or an MR-S rather than a roadster?
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

RST wrote:Never heard of SMT not being OBDII -readable before, unless you had a cheap E-Bay reader, or an MR-S rather than a roadster?

I ment the smt system not the engine. With Techstream you can also read the power steering ecu and alarm system as well as SRS and ABS
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Just to update, I bought the car last weekend and it seems alright. The body is in excellent condition, there is very little rust on it, just some surface on the rear suspension arms. The interior is very good for the most part although it seems it's been apart and not quite put back together right. Got some bits from Pistol Pete on the way to get it up to standard. The SMT box shifts perfectly and I really quite like it. I don't use the shifter at all, I only ever find myself using the buttons on the wheel, except when pulling out of somewhere from 1st to 2nd, as the buttons tend to be in daft places then. It's 100% standard, standard wheels, standard stereo, etc.

I'm not sold on the engine and the tyres are shot. There's also something up with the brakes, it seems to lurch to the left under hard braking. The roof's not great but is functional - it goes up and down and doesn't have any tears in it.

I think with some decent rubber on it and some nice weather I'll be able to really enjoy it :)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

That's why I keep buying them, sunny days. :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Well that didn't work out very well... taking it back on Saturday with a rattly bottom end! Found another one to go and take a look at though as I loved the car (and gearbox).
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Oops! (get a manual!!)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I dunno why people slate the SMT. I love it!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I am just coloured by how much I hate the Smart gearbox, lol
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

toxo wrote:I dunno why people slate the SMT. I love it!

Owners do like them when they work - it's just when they shart themselves its not likely to be an easy fix.

They were only available as SMT in Aus, lots of tales of woe there and dealers left scratching their heads.

I worked with an ex Toyota mech - he always said the SMT was to be avoided at all costs! He told me they had so many come back on warranty and they were hard to diagnose faults with and ridiculous money to fix.
RST

Post by RST »

I dunno why people slate the SMT. I love it!

The forums seem to, the owners dont! I'll stand up for a good SMT.

Most of the zzW30's I saw they had expensive problems to fix even if they were mech sound!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Got 2 more to look at this weekend, both sable grey with aircon. A high mileage 04 SMT with a hard top & red leather interior and an expensive 55 plate with no leather interior.

Taking the broken one back Saturday morning for a refund so hopefully I won't be MR2-less at the end of it all!
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

How you get on John? Are you back in the seat of a '2'?
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

No, very frustrating! Lying car dealers
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

toxo wrote:No, very frustrating! Lying car dealers

Did you get your refund?
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”