www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Lifeline Plumbed-In Fire System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Group Buys - MR2 related
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craig
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 141

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

[Dancing]
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 18

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The pull cable is normally installed through the dashboard or trim panel. Fine for race cars, but unsightly in road cars.

I've designed and had made a batch of brackets to allow the pull cable to be mounted parallel to the mounting panal as opposed to perpendicular.

When finished, the corners of the brackets will be radiused and i'll have them chrome plated.

Here's the bracket mounted in Craig's car:

More photos to come as the install progresses.
Brighton National Speed Trials Class Record Holder 2010 on
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Nice job Pete, looks tidy. [thumleft]
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Brackets now have their corners radiused. The hole for the pull cable will be enlarged to match, and then it's off to the chrome plater.

Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Feedback Score: 40

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Looking smart! [thumleft]
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Brackets arrived back from the platers:

Temporarily fitted carpet to test fit:

Now just awaiting some parts to finish off the cable.
slipping clutch
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Very tidy Peter - appreciate the work your putting in to this [thumleft]
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yep, looking very tidy. Wouldn't expect anything else! [thumleft]
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So, next job was to tidy up the pull cable. Having it exposed is fine for a race car, but i wanted to hide as much of it as possible. Cutting holes in the carpet was not an option so i went on the hunt...

Couple of hours on Google revealed nothing suitable in the UK. But i did find exactly what i wanted in Singapore. A few emails later, a PayPal payment, and 2 weeks later this lot arrived:

Oval eyelet kit.

Kit includes 40 eyelets (3 needed for each car), tool for punching clean hole in carpet, and setting tool for fitting eyelets through carpet.

Carpet marked and removed. Eyelet fitted. Refitted carpet. Finished result could not be better:

Next job is to mount the extinguisher, and then fit the discharge tube.

I'll be offering a full fitting kit (eyelets, loan of tools and pull cable bracket) to those that want one.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

That looks the bee's knee's!
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Proper tidy job there Pete, nice work. [Applause]
matt-mr2
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 29

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Great install [thumleft]
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Next job was to fit the bottle.

First the mounting bracket was drilled ready for bolts. The flanges are widest at the slots for the straps, so that's where they were drilled for M6 bolts:

The precise postion in front of the passenger seat may vary slightly from one person to another. I fitted the passenger seat, and chose a position that would limit the seat from moving to it's fully forward on the runners since no one ever has their seat fully forward.

Holes were drilled in the floor, button headed bolts inserted from underneath. The floor is not completely flat, so spacer washers were used to ensure the mounting bracket would not twist when the nuts were fully tightened:

Pull cable was routed over the tunnel, and under the passenger carpet in an arc. Bottle was fitted. Exit point of the cable marked in the carpet. And the position where the discharge tube will pass through the carpet against the tunnel. Carpet was removed, eyelets fitted, and carpet and mounting braket refitted:

Discharge tube is aluminium so is very easy to bend in the desired shape. It was laid against the tunnel, and shaped to fit the extinguisher. I used a socket to bend the tube round to ensure it wouldn't get damaged due to too tight a radius in the bends.

Carpet, bracket, extinguisher, pull cable and discharge tube finally refitted for good:

Discharge tube was cut at the desired point. T piece fitted, and a piece of tube fitted to the Ts and routed though each of the loom holes in the firewall into the engine bay.

That's the interior install finished. Last job is to mount the discharge nozzles in the engine bay.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Such a professional job Peter! Looking forward to coming up soon to get mine fitted! [Applause]
juliankv73
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 110

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Scott Barton wrote:
Such a professional job Peter! Looking forward to coming up soon to get mine fitted! [Applause]

Very professional fitting, liking the detail with the pressed fittings etc.

It'll be worth the trip up just to get the same result.

I'd better go raid the housekeeping jar [Whistle] [thumleft]
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks for the feedback guys. [thumleft]

Due to another MR2 car going up in flames, GB has been extended.

Details here:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178427

So if you missed out first time round, now's your chance!
juliankv73
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Poor guy, could have been any mr2 owner, not just the big build MR2's like Kongs etc...

This was another minter with a 3vz-fe engine by woodsport V6 .. http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/134/160910.html?start=14

GWizz wrote:
Insurance won't be anywhere near what I've put into the car I'm afraid. It was 3vz-fe engine by woodsport with a megasquirt 3 engine management so I'm around the 7k mark if you don't include the car or the donor camry costs and will probably be lucky to get 1 - 1.5k. but we'll see. Of course my next one will be better [Smile]

GWizz wrote:
So after 13 years of MR2 ownership I'm mr2less.

Driving back from 'The Deep' today on the M18 south bound, car performing really well, when bang from engine bay followed by fire, coast to hard shoulder, get out and watch from a safe distance as my pride and joy slowly burns to the ground.

If you got stuck in the traffic today on the M18 apologies for the hold up, hope you understand.

Regards

GWizz

[Crying or Very sad]

Im not even gonna faff about trying to install mine from the GB.

Im getting my ass up to Sbits to have it installed properly. I want it to work as it should and protect my 2 for the "hope-it-never-happens-to-me" nightmare scenario [Shocked]
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Nice work as always Pete.

Really not a pleasant thing hearing of another '2 going up in flames. [Sad]

Such a small small price to pay for a great piece of kit that could save your MR2.

I was surprised there wasn't more people in the 1st group buy to be honest!
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Cost of extra parts used in Craig's install is 25 inc. post.

This includes:

Custom made chrome bracket. Can be fitted to tunnel or under-dash panel.
Oval eyelets for pull cable and discharge tube
Use of eyelet tools - for cutting perfect oval in carpet and fitting eyelet to carpet
juliankv73
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Cost of extra parts used in Craig's install is 25 inc. post.

This includes:

Custom made chrome bracket. Can be fitted to tunnel or under-dash panel.
Oval eyelets for pull cable and discharge tube
Use of eyelet tools - for cutting perfect oval in carpet and fitting eyelet to carpet

Whats the total cost to have an installation like Craigs? 125?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Group Buys - MR2 related All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: