[Mk2] [NA] power to radio but no sound

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

robo

[Mk2] [NA] power to radio but no sound

Post by robo »

Hi Guys, have been looking to sort out lack of sound from the radio. At hand a new Kenwood radio, new adaptor, and then new ISO adapter to audio loom. There's power to the unit and I've head some thumps from the amps. I've checked the radio and dome fuses and they look fine. I've checked the power from the audio loom and there's power coming through the red wire.... am I meant to see power through the yellow wire as well?

And there was no sound from the old radio when the old banger was picked up :)

Cheers
madbasshunter

Re: [Mk2] [NA] power to radio but no sound

Post by madbasshunter »

You need power at the yellow (permanent live) and red (switched ignition) wire also you need to connect the remote wire (normally blue) from the new stereo to the remote wire on the iso connector to switch the cars amps on. The stereo earths through mounting bracket so needs to be bolted in or the aerial plugged in to switch on (using the aerial as an earth).
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
robo

Post by robo »

Thanks Madbass. OK, first check on power supply showed a power feed only to the red wire and the white wires on the rhs of this plug..... but not the yellow :-k is the other end of this loom down in the o/s footwell? And am I just looking at splicing in a replacement positive feed into the rear of the yellow wire?

For the Kenwood unit I have the PC3-451 plugged to the PC9-411. The car's a UK '94. The two blue and white striped wire have been connected and then a plain blue from the PC3-451 is currently loose... unfortunately no instructions came with this component.

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Couple of questions
Does the stereo switch on? The red and yellow wires I am talking about are on the Kenwood loom.
have you got rca outputs on the Kenwood headunit as the rca's are not plugged in on the second picture and they need to be to work.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
robo

Post by robo »

Doh, that wasn't a good start #-o

OK, retested feeds at the end of the Kenwood adapter and power confirmed at both red and yellow terminals. So happy with that.

Reset up original Kenwwod unit and the plugs from the PC9-411 adapter appeared to connect up OK.

Both units power up and run through various menus as expected.

Return to “ICE and Security”