Steering wheel and boss...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Goto10

Steering wheel and boss...

Post by Goto10 »

Any online vendors sell these for the mk1? I may as well get a slightly smaller/chunkier one whilst there - the current stock one is literally coming apart, on the trackday the outer coating was flaking away in my hands, not an ideal surface to hold on to!
IIRC people have said to avoid a MoMo boss and get a Mountney? (Or was that the other way around..?)
chunkymonkey909

Re: Steering wheel and boss...

Post by chunkymonkey909 »

Hi,

I bought a Mountney steering boss from Halfords, it ended up costing something like £40 but it was suprisingly good. It fitted my old Momo steering wheel with no probs. Worst part was trying to get the old Toyota steering wheel off.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Steve,

MOMO boss is the one to get. Demon Thieves do them.

If it helps mine has worked faultlessly for over two years.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

I bought a Momo Millenium Evo,with Momo boss.Couldn't get the Momo boss to fit the wheel correctly.Luckily i found out it fitted the Nardi boss that was on the car and managed to get my money back on the Momo boss! :D
Had a knigtmare to get the wheel back off though,Pete Mason sorted it for me.Good ole pete!!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mk1Supercharger SE Steve wrote:I bought a Momo Millenium Evo,with Momo boss.Couldn't get the Momo boss to fit the wheel correctly.Luckily i found out it fitted the Nardi boss that was on the car and managed to get my money back on the Momo boss! :D
Had a knigtmare to get the wheel back off though,Pete Mason sorted it for me.Good ole pete!!

Really?

Mark and I have always used MOMO boss's with no problems at all. Getting the wheel off has never been a problem, normally a bit of banging with forearms from behind and a bit of a wiggle and it comes off no problem. We don't overtighten the nut though so maybe that helps.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
System-G

Post by System-G »

I bought my car with a mountney boss and miniature (10") steering wheel already on it. I have just reverted back to a stock steering wheel until I can justify paying out for a Momo.

Removing the steering wheels/bosses can be interesting and leave one with a broken nose or black eye. Best way to avoid this is to remove the main bolt and then put it back on with only about two turns. Removing the wheel use left/right and up/down pulling rather than yanking towards you.

Just make sure your front wheels are dead straight before removing a steering wheel :lol:

Can the mountney boss be used with a Momo wheel and visaversa?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

System-G wrote:I bought my car with a mountney boss and miniature (10") steering wheel already on it. I have just reverted back to a stock steering wheel until I can justify paying out for a Momo.

Removing the steering wheels/bosses can be interesting and leave one with a broken nose or black eye. Best way to avoid this is to remove the main bolt and then put it back on with only about two turns. Removing the wheel use left/right and up/down pulling rather than yanking towards you.

Just make sure your front wheels are dead straight before removing a steering wheel :lol:

Can the mountney boss be used with a Momo wheel and visaversa?

It's worth a try with the moutney boss,as i said my momo fitted the nardi boss!
anna

Post by anna »

the momo one that came with the SC was too small for lil' ole me to hang on to round elv!
Swapped it for SystemG's standard wheel :oops: much better!

Trouble is, now there is going to be a squabble between me with me puny muscles wanting a bigger wheel, and Speedy with his legs and hands coming together because of cockpit size wanting a smaller wheel!!!

There's only going to be one solution to this you know...... a new seat :)
System-G

Post by System-G »

anna wrote:

Or like you said at Elvington matching snap-off steering wheels in your prefered sizes :wink: :lol:
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

An easy safety tip is to undo the nut but leave it on a little bit. Loosen the steering wheel enough then remove the nut completely.....save the black eye/broken nose...or both.. :lol:
My steering wheel is mega stuck and ain't budging....I gave up. Still...ain't gonna change it yet so no point in worrying about it until the change comes in the future.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

System-G wrote:
anna wrote:

Or like you said at Elvington matching snap-off steering wheels in your prefered sizes :wink: :lol:

Anyone know of anywhere with a decent selection of these? I'm thinking about getting one for mine.
System-G

Post by System-G »

I'll ask a mate tomorrow. He has one for his MKII.T

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”