[Mk2] [Generic] Amp settings help (sensitivity)

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Adam86
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Generic] Amp settings help (sensitivity)

Post by Adam86 »

My new Kenwood amp turned up today to replace my very old Bose unit.

Reading through the manual it has input sensitivity control of 5v min & 0.2v max. First question is why is the higher number the minimum?

Anyway l gather it needs to be matched to my head unit rating?

So looking through the head unit manual ive found a preout maxium output level of 4.0v. So is this the matching number im looking for?

Thanks for any help.
T.F.S.

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Amp settings help (sensitivity)

Post by T.F.S. »

You just increase the gain until you get clip or the desired volume level is reached, whichever comes first.

I set mine up with an oscilloscope and a sinewave CD but doing it by ear is fine.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
mrfil13

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Amp settings help (sensitivity)

Post by mrfil13 »

The other way is using a voltmeter, here's a guide, there are others out there.

http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/ca ... meter.html

Idea is download the correct frequency file for the amp, think its 60hz for sub and 1khz for mid range.

Turn off all bass/treble settings, disconnect speakers, set gain to lowest, turn up stereo to something like 3/4 of max volume, put volt meter on +- of speaker connection, turn up gain until you get to correct voltage (use the formula).

I set mine up the same way as T.F.S on my old MR2, best way as you can setup the crossover etc as well but used the volt method on my current setup, nice and quick and good results.

Return to “ICE and Security”