Which track days?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ben

Which track days?

Post by Ben »

After one day at Bedford - I'm hooked :D

So, the question is, which tracks/organisers are good, and what should I avoid? Any tracks in the South East and Midlands area are convenient for me (Goodwood, Castle Coombe, Bedford, Lydden Hill and anywhere in between really - using THIS as reference). I was really impressed by Bedford and Javelin Trackdays who organised it, but I've heard some horror stories about badly-run days and would like to cherry-pick the best ones if at all possible. At the same time, I'd rather go to the cheaper (sub-£130ish) days :roll: . I guess I don't mind going further afield if I can find a cheap hotel nearby...

Any tracks/organisers to avoid? Likewise, any that are particularly good and worth keeping an eye on? I don't mind taking the occasional day off to do a mid-week trackday as there seem to be a fair few of those around. Finally, where's the best place to book?

I bow to your collective knowledge :+:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Donato

Re: Which track days?

Post by Donato »

Anglesey is a fantastic track, with a very good view too! Also, Oulton Park is a local one which i quite like. I couldn't tell you who organises them though :-k
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Avoid lydden ;)

Msv days are always really really good
ashley

Post by ashley »

MSV are good:

http://www.msvtrackdays.com

I've always had good experiences with Book a track as well:

http://bookatrack.com
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

Oulton park and Mallory park are both good tracks in the MIDs area frm experience... As for organisers I stick with msv and book a track they are both top companies.

Easy track were one of the worst but they shut up shop about 12 months ago. Now I'm onto European tracks to get my fix lol
decker2

Post by decker2 »

Javelin and MSV are both great, I've also done a few day with 'Apex Track Days' they tend to be a bit cheaper and also a bit more cautious - more red flags / stoppages. Looking at their website there are no future dates tho, maybe not around anymore?
As for tracks Blyton Park is superb for beginners, good track laid on top of an old airfield so plenty of run off space and (almost!) nothing to hit, couple of vids to give you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/user/dingodesertdog/feed

Cadwell Park is superb but alot more challenging, especially in the wet!
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

I'd def recommend Anglesea & Oulton Park, both brilliant circuits. Can camp on site at Angers or try local B&B's.
We did Cadwell Park last time and that is fantastic, if a little doubting at first (we turned up in 20foot visibility fog with a light mist rain, 1 hour later & it was cracking the flags sunshine and perfect all day!) but there's not a great deal of safety for run off, so bare that in mind!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
ashley

Post by ashley »

We should do a club day at Angers next summer- I love that track...

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Oulton, Bedford, Donny, Silverstone, Cadwell, Coombe, are all great... I've heard Anglesey is really nice too

I'd recommend you stay away from Rockingham as its an engine killer (trust me :( ) Also Mallory is a tad small for cars IMO, its more suited to bikes :thumleft:
Ste2

Post by Ste2 »

slight hi-jack but hopefully relevant to the OP in a round about way!! - is anyone aware of a bring-your-own 'car-control' event/day I'm kind of thinking gymkhana/ drifting/ skid-pan type stuff etc...?

found a few car control courses but they all seem to be very sterile saftey orientated affairs in 'generic' cars =;

In response to the OP - I did Angleysey on a sunny but cold autumn day a couple of years back and it was literraly perfect, worth every penny and more :thumleft:

I have found that some of the cheaper tracks tend to be airfields with a few kerbs :?

Would also recommend instruction for a few laps if you are doing a full day, helps you 'get your eye in'
Ste2

Post by Ste2 »

ashley wrote:We should do a club day at Angers next summer- I love that track...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/skidmarks.gif

\:D/

I spent most of March this year refreshing my suspension with the intention of doing a summer track-day and that never materialised so roll on 2014 (someone bring a V6 pls!!! :oldtongue: )!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks for the replies everyone! :thumleft:

I hadn't thought of camping tbh, but it's certainly something I'd be up for. Anglesey is a track which has come up time and again when I've asked this question, I definitely think I'll be making my way over there at some point 8)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Anglesey is a great starter track. It's not particularly technical and no two bends link together, so makes it easy to take it a corner at a time, rather than working out more complex sections where corners string together.

No chicanes though. :(

It's very wide with loads of run off in most places, so feels safe and there is plenty of room.

But, it doesn't compare to the likes of Donny, Cadwell, Croft or Oulton, but those are better to do once you've done four or five trackdays at least really.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Having done Bedford full GT twice and Brands Indy twice, Cadwell is next on my list :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I liked Oulton Park the best I reckon. Have done Castle Combe a few times, which is nice and fast, and fairly easy to remember your way around. Also did Mallory Park, which is quite interesting though you don't really get to stretch the legs of the car much.

I've done a few events with Javelin, some with MSV and I think the last day was with Apex Trackdays, and that was well organised too.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Ste2 wrote:slight hi-jack but hopefully relevant to the OP in a round about way!! - is anyone aware of a bring-your-own 'car-control' event/day I'm kind of thinking gymkhana/ drifting/ skid-pan type stuff etc...?

www.carlimits.com

Highly recommended.
ashley

Post by ashley »

(2 Person Day) - £440 each

I'd love to do that training, but why is it so expensive- that's a lot of money for 1 day...is it worth it??
Ste2

Post by Ste2 »

gavsdavs wrote:
Ste2 wrote:slight hi-jack but hopefully relevant to the OP in a round about way!! - is anyone aware of a bring-your-own 'car-control' event/day I'm kind of thinking gymkhana/ drifting/ skid-pan type stuff etc...?

www.carlimits.com

Highly recommended.

Thanks for that, its quite a way from me but good to know there is stuff out there.

ashley wrote:

I'd love to do that training, but why is it so expensive- that's a lot of money for 1 day...is it worth it??

Difficult to know without going on it I guess but the 4 person days at £220 is somewhere in-line with 'track-day money'

There's also a 'Sunday activity day for all' at £59 - sounds like that might be something that's more of geared towards 'testing the limits' Perhaps good if your trying to set the car up :-k
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Ste2 wrote:
www.carlimits.com

Thanks for that, its quite a way from me but good to know there is stuff out there.

ashley wrote:

Difficult to know without going on it I guess but the 4 person days at £220 is somewhere in-line with 'track-day money'

There's also a 'Sunday activity day for all' at £59 - sounds like that might be something that's more of geared towards 'testing the limits' Perhaps good if your trying to set the car up :-k

You pay £440 if only 2 of you want the whole day with the instructor.
The 4 person days are £220 - which again - 4 people share the tarmac/instructor for the day.

You don't get that quality training/time on tarmac on a track day.

I think track days are good for finding your own way/testing your car - but if you want a good instructor telling you what to do and what you are doing (wrong) - you probably won't find a better day.

He (Andy Walsh) also does circuit days in Blyton (Lincs) and Landau (South Wales) - where he trains you on circuit driving - not just car handling.

He also does supercar days where you can cane a supercar (one of his) round the track. I valued the mr2 training a lot since I don't want to crash mine :)

I learned a lot - not least how much I didn't know and how much of a heffer a mk2 is compared to an elise.

Gavs
scooby seb

Post by scooby seb »

Hi there, I use http://opentrack.co.uk/, very well organised and all events are open pit lane, dave also give you free doughnuts :!:

As for training you won't go far wrong with Andy, awesome driver and very good teacher,also a good laugh to go on the p155 with ( my cousin is a very close friend of his and instructs for him)

If you want a cheap fun day with car limits their activity days are good value for money, only £60 for the day, I'm doing one this Sunday with them at north weald :thumleft:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”