[Mk2] [Generic] The Coilover Thread

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Which coilover do you find is best to suit your needs?

MeisterR Zeta-R
27%
HSD MonoPro (HR)
4%
Tein SuperStreet
14%
KW Variant 3
4%
BC Racing BR Series
45%
HSD DualTech (DT)
No votes
D2 Racing RS
2%
Apexi N1
2%
Apexi N1
2%

Total votes: 49

Donato

[Mk2] [Generic] The Coilover Thread

Post by Donato »

I've recently noticed a rise in the number of people asking for advice on which coilovers to buy. Which is best for track, street, comfort etc etc. What i'm trying to do is compile a single thread which has all reviews and recommendations from users and their personal experiences with them.

I've added a poll to see which one people prefer. Admittedly it won't be accurate as people have different expectations from different coilovers. But it gets an overall gist of what is preferred.

The way this will work is if someone can write a small review on their coilover make & model, i'll then add the coilover onto the list for the poll.

To keep the thread clean and not full of spam posts there are a couple of rules;
- Post only your review of the coilovers.
- Add a couple of pictures, 2 maximum.
- Post any other details you feel are needed. Price paid, shop purchased etc.
- Don't post anything other.

I'll be keeping ontop of the thread and deleting / editing if needed.
Last edited by Donato on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Donato

HSD MonoPro

Post by Donato »

HSD MonoPro

Purchased from Driftworks, arrived next day at the cost of £690 in the January sales. Well packed and a free MAOAM sweet inside \:D/
I personally found the standard damping too stiff for road use. Would be perfect for track use however.
But they are well built coilovers, fully adjustable including the droplink bracket. So you don't have to purchase shortened droplinks if you don't wish.
Donato

MeisterR ZetaR

Post by Donato »

MeisterR Zeta-R

I purchased these from MeisterR themselves at £790 delivered with next day delivery. These were a replacement for the HSD MonoPro's i had previous. Straight forward fitting, came with shortened front droplinks.
The standard damping on these is a lot softer compared to the HSD MonoPro's but stiffer than standard ride.
Perfect for road use as they are designed in the UK for UK roads. The damping adjustablitly also allows them to be used on the track too.
I drove around Europe on a 3000 mile trip and i didn't have a single complaint about them.
These coilovers seem to be quite weather proof. I've had them on for about 5 months and there are no signs or corrosion or road damage to them. A quick wipe leaves them looking like new.
Rossi

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] The Coilover Thread

Post by Rossi »

MeisterR Zeta-R

Purchased with 10% discount for being a member which I thought was very reasonable as my other choice was KW V3 coming in at £1.5k

Coming from Tein superstreets I was sick of rock hard coilovers so was looking for something a that would be a lot comfier. With the adjusters fully soft I'm very happy with the ride but I usually run them at about 8 clicks unless I'm doing a long journey.

Been on 4 months so far and I've had no issues although I did need a 3mm spacer on the front with a 17x8 et35 wheel on 215/40 tyres.
rrx

Post by rrx »

BC Racing BR Series

Purchased on my behalf by a friend who gets a sensible discount so they cost less that £620 (yes i can get more i think) and came delivered in a very well configured box with plenty or stickers, opted for the 4kg/6kg option as mine are for mainly road use and i wanted some comfort, i have done about 300 miles so far as in need of tyres and did need to add a 10mm spacer to the front replacing the existing 5mm.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Tein Superstreet

Purchased these brand new for my Rev 2 Turbo years back. They were perfect for the roads and some airfield track days I attended. Almost as comfortable as stock (my first experience with coilovers). My set included topmounts. Only thing I would comment on was that I had them on the lowest setting but feel like they should be able to go lower (if you like the slammed look)

BC Racing (BR)

Purchased brand new from DC Dezign a couple years back. Fitted to my Yellow Rev 3 before being transferred to my current car. What can I say? The ride is perfect. As comfortable as stock on mid settings but adjustable to be as harsh as you want. Huge ammount of height adjustment. I would buy another set of these over any other.

Tein S-Tech Springs

Yes I know these arent coilovers but just as a comparison - Awesome stance. Rattled my teeth. Way too hard for our roads. Maybe I'm just getting old lol
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Apexi N1

I beleive the Apexi N! are the best coilovers for the MR2, I have them on all my cars.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
mr2turbojosh

Post by mr2turbojosh »

BC Racing BR Series

I went with a set of BC BR coilovers on mine, bought and fitted them and spent about £140 on having the tracking, caster camber angles and had them set up before I went to the nürburgring. The car handles now like a dream, but the ride is set quite hard. Just make sure you grease the threads on them as the threads have a tendency to seize up!! But bc are great for the £s ! Cost less than teins!! :)
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

I have had tested and own...

Blistiens
Not to Hard but bumpy but handles well built good

Tein
back breaking uncompromising crashy coilovers which will rust away in a year only good for dead smooth tracks. Rots and rusts within months and very exspensive

bc
good compromise great on most tracks predictable but has short suspension travel is alittle bit floaty but is ok. on roads its not smooth but is ok on bumpy roads in terms of comfort ride quality but is alittle bouncie and skips around on really rough uneven roads... realiable good build quality.

meister r
as good or better then oem dampers for comfort and smoothness also very good on track best coilovers without compromise best for road and track predictable and reacts and reflexes to uneven roads well... realiable... good build quality fits perfect and surprisingly firm but smooth and comfortable on rough uneven roads. Track use is just as good if not better then bc.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360

Return to “Modifications”