air filter relocation

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

welly_59

air filter relocation

Post by welly_59 »

i'm thinking of fitting a cone type air filter to my car but all the write ups i find are american.

Am i right in saying that uk cars do not have an afm? at least, it aint where it is on the us models!

should i connect the filter directly to the tvis via some sort of tubing instead?

many thanks
MartG

Re: air filter relocation

Post by MartG »

All UK spec cars used a MAP sensor instead, so the filter can be located directly on the throttle body - its LOUD !

However there are a number of sensors in the intake piping which need to be relocated onto the filter if you do this - the K&N 57i filter has a couple of holes in the base of the filter for these sensors to be inserted.
welly_59

Post by welly_59 »

i was thinking of leaving the section of intake piping with the sensors attached and connecting the filter after them. would that be ok?
superchargedsam

Post by superchargedsam »

I have a large JR cone filter sat in the garage which goes traight on the throttle body and this also has the holes for the sensors I think, I never got round to using it but have to say its a nic elooking bit of kit. Also I use a HKS induction kit with a mushroom filter on my celica GT4 and its louder than the xhuast as the turbo sucks huga amounts of air though it on boost and its a very loud induction roar but very nice as well as you dont hear it when cruising as your not on full throttle all the time. go for it as u wont regret it !
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Works well, I have mine set up like that as I had a 57i filter for my Mk4 Astra I removed before it went to the big car heaven in the sky. I think it could be a little low perhaps. I also had to shorten the metal pipe it connected to allow space for the filter to fit. However I have a spare Tube if I wish to fall back to original filter again.

The bonus of fitting it down there is that you can hide it with the resonator box if you dont wish to draw attention to it.
welly_59

Post by welly_59 »

will any generic cone filter be ok? i'm having trouble finding one especailly for the mk1
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

two minutes on google gets you this probably loads more suppliers http://www.performancecentre.co.uk/p/sv ... &PTC=AFK02
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

welly_59 wrote:will any generic cone filter be ok? i'm having trouble finding one especailly for the mk1

Personally i would only trust a branded make as you want to be sure filtration qualities are at least good.

K&N gets my reccomendation.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

welly you speedo cable is packed and ready for the post in the morning.the site will not allow me to reply to PMs??
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

crazylegs wrote:welly you speedo cable is packed and ready for the post in the morning.the site will not allow me to reply to PMs??

Yep we have had a few others including myself experiencing this prob its being worked on as we speak.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

how you doing lauren? you have been very quite of late.been away?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

crazylegs wrote:how you doing lauren? you have been very quite of late.been away?

Hello Kev,

I'm fine, got called into do a sleep at one of the children's homes i'm working at so was away pretty much 24hrs, so thats probably why it seems a bit quiet from me, serial poster that i am. ;)
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

just missing the heated debates :wink: they always make me smile :pr:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

crazylegs wrote:just missing the heated debates :wink: they always make me smile :pr:

Try this:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 6&start=15
;)
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

just gave it a little prod !! :twisted:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”