DB MR2 Rev2 n/a to Turbo complete

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DB Mr2

DB MR2 Rev2 n/a to Turbo complete

Post by DB Mr2 »

Hi gents, Dan from Kent and here is my thread about my Rev 2 G-Limited.
There are some lovely and really well looked after mr2s on here which is why mine may look out of place! I do enjoy reading through others threads and seeing where it all started though and so what the hell here's my story.

After having a rev1 mk2 a few years ago i missed the front end 'bop', comfy seating position and pop up headlights. Had to had another and so worked some overtime and got enough for a simple rev2 na import mainly because it was black. I went with na as i couldn't afford a decent turbo/to fix or to run.

The car came with Tokico adjustable shocks, unknown lowering springs (approx 30mm), foam air filter and unknown jap exhaust.

I didn't plan on doing anything to it, i kept saying to my mate who had a v6 2 at the time that I just want it to be clean over and under with well sorted brakes and suspension. Updates coming next...

Yes calling it the 'PAP' mobile is cheesy as hell but it has stuck unfortunately, sorry :oops:
Last edited by DB Mr2 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.
matt-mr2

Re: DB MR2 Rev2 n/a to Turbo complete

Post by matt-mr2 »

Nice clean 2 you've got there :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Nice car
Not far from me
I work in ashford

Keep an eye for events we do a couple of Kent runs worth coming along for
craig

Post by craig »

Nice car you have there mate. Looks like a very clean standard example!

Just need a pair of front fogs to finish it off. Other thing I'd be tempted to do, is fit a 13x6 Jap sized front number plate and associated import plate holder.

Enjoy! :D
Donato

Post by Donato »

RedMR² wrote:Nice car you have there mate. Looks like a very clean standard example!

Other thing I'd be tempted to do, is fit a 13x6 Jap sized front number plate and associated import plate holder.

Agreed with what RedMR2 said. Looks in condition, but get the JDM plate for the front to finish it off :thumleft:
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

The car looks spot on :thumleft: best colour as well :D
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Thanks for the comments chaps, i should have said this was nearly 2 years ago and will be updating the thread with what i have done. Tried to be tasteful with mods but mostly constant repairs and servicing are the priority.
About the JDM plate - i do have the holder but it took it off. Unfortunately i don't like either front plate on an mr2 - think its the americans that can run without - looks much better imo
Anyhooo - First things first I did a oil and filter change, bought silly air freshener, tax disc holder, new polish, wax etc.. and sourced a pair of clear front lenses.

Also fitted a fresh plain new front numberplate (onto the jdm holder)

Drove it like this for a bit but that list of jobs 'to do' started....
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

There had been some knocking from the front right suspension over rippled tarmac and the usual potholes which started to get worse.
Thought it was top mounts and so thought I would just refresh the front end as not only had the drop links seen better days but the o/s shock was weeping (probable cause of first issue).
Purchased new rebuildable Toyota front shocks, drop links, bump stops, gaiters and top mounts. Only have a blurry pic of new struts (it was cold as I remember sitting on drive in three pairs of trousers and coats) and new bump stop + gaiter - which i ended up putting on upside down :oops:

Remember taking it after I had done both sides and had a massive smile on my face as there was no more knocking, the car didn't wander and i had that just fixed my car happy feeling again :D
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

You will see there is an ongoing theme of 'happy again after car is fixed'...
But after the suspension I started to enjoy the joys of a 2 seater again.....

DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

A chap was breaking a black turbo so I bought the engine lid of him and fitted it as soon as I got home. I was pleased how much it improved the look of my car

Then late one night the flat's door buzzer rang - it was one of my nieghbours - i had left my lights on. When i went out to the car only the brake lights were on. Had a look the next morning and found bits of plastic on the floor - the rubber switch thing that touches the brake pedal had broke into pieces. Bodged a bit of rizzla packet to stop them coming on and paid 50p for the new one from toyota

Saw very good reviews for the gear linkage bush kit from SBits and so treated the car. Have to say these really did tighten up the gear change, much nicer now.

Fitted

Just when i thought i was happy with the car a set of Enkei Racing S came up for a sale at mates rates, could not turn these wheels down, was actually a little bit in love with them..... :oops:

Cat agreed.

Had F1's on the from and Continentals on the rear - the grip was really good so I was really pleased with both form and function. :thumleft:
Last edited by DB Mr2 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Nice addition :thumleft: you have to put a tubby engine in now though :twisted:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Thanks Matt, maybe one day with the turbo/v6 lump, not ruling anything out yet but happy with the na for the time being :D
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

The wheels did need some care but after using them through the winter it was only right to sort them out. So standard wheels back on and some brownie points to make up with the missus for letting me start stripping them in the front room.
I did the work myself as I couldn't believe the cost to have them done 'professionally'. More to come on these later.
I put the standard wheels back on the exhaust started to blow from the backbox, joy!
So looked around and found a rare (yeah i know everyone says that) 5zigen exhaust (miracle fireball) and rev3 rear lights with quad mod for sale. Jumped in the gf's beast for a little road trip around the m25 (is it sad to get excited about picking up second hand car bits?)
The next weekend i set off in the other direction (southbound) to pick up a pair of front fogs i thought i may as well do it properly.
An hour with some autosol and polishing mop was needed on the exhaust
Rusted exhaust bolts were a pain, made a right mess
Exhaust fitted on fine but i knew that on a standard looking car it just wouldn't sit right. I needed to get the lights and wheels on for a much more aggressive look
Rear ball joints replaced along with rear drop links to keep up my aim of getting a solid car underneath (one day)!

Used a clevis? type separator and with a nice love tap from the hammer they came off fine.
A lot of tightening and untightening on the drop links meant the angle grinder stayed in the cupboard thankfully

Then new discs and pads on the front and brakes bled (really don't like having it up on the sills, is it just me?)

Getting there....!
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Wheels were coming along nicely, a lot of manual work, the drill can only do so much. The centres were sent off to be powdercoated for a very good price and they also kindly stamped numbers into the back of each centre so i knew which wheel it related to. The inner barrells were really gunked up with brake dust and this took a lot of effort to clear before i could spray them.

Also stripped back the centre caps ready to be primer#d and sprayed

Back to the car... the rev 3 lights were fitted after a small piece of hammer work to make the rear reverse lights sit flush with the centre panel/boot. Also had to swap over some snapped clips from the base of the lights.

DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Using different grades of file and sandpaper removed all curbing
Action plan.
A lot of this:
A bit of this:
Then putting them back together:
New and half new tyres:
Finished:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Black cars with shiny rims is a winning combo.

FWIW I agree your choice of having a UK plate on the front :thumleft: Less of an obstruction to the radiator!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
craig

Post by craig »

Top job mate. Car looks great. Some effort gone in there! :thumleft:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Thanks for the comments guys, it makes me smile knowing i have done it myself but there's always the 'what's next'...!!
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

So i had a temperature gauge that seemed to be up and down like a whores drawers and thought it may have been thermostat because i'm sure i had bled it well.
I noticed it was using a bit of coolant and then started to fear headgasket but one day a little puddle of coolant appeared on the drive underneath the middle of the car. Checked underneath and the undertrays were wet going from middle towards back of car.

It was the 'pipes from hell' - you can see the copper pipe in background weeping at the joint. I let out one those sighs and spoke with a friend at Toyota - they quoted me £600 for the pipes alone. Another sigh with a few expletives thrown in this time! So I read through a helpful thread on MR2OC, got some rubber hose, P clips, jubilee clips and hose joiners along with some coolant from Mr T all for under £60

Chose the best weekend to be under the car.......yes it leaked lots.

Fed new pipes through rear bulkhead and under fuel tank and connected at both ends with the hose joiners. Filled with coolant and bled thoroughly then refitted all trays and heat shields. Took me two days all start to finish but touch wood after about 6 weeks had no problems. Never again though but glad that's sorted!
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Took an hour to rub down the wiper arms and give them a quick primer before a blast with black paint. Will probably need to do this again next year as its not the best finish but it will do for winter.

Thought I would treat myself to a cheap de-cat and see what I thought..... no difference in power or torque just more noise. Lots of it, it sounds so angry!! Yes it was fun in the tunnels for a week but I will be taking this off soon i think.

That was about 3 weeks ago so i'm nearly up to date with my journey so far.

Return to “Member Profiles”