Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAAASH

Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Post by JAAASH »

Hi guys!

Been a member here for nearly 3 years now and I'm only just starting a build thread! #-o

My first mr2 was a uk rev 4 n/a.
I fell in love with it from the very first time I drove it. Fantastic little car but it was time to move on to something with a bit more power.
So the n/a is currently for sale on here. (Shameless plug :oops: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=172668 )

A few pics of the n/a...
It was fairly standard, with just Tein lowering springs on yellow Bilstein b6's and a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust adapted to fit - Ridiculously loud!

At Japfest (2012)

Anyway, the replacement is a super white rev 3 turbo.
I picked her up on the same day as Japfest 2012. Me and my dad went to the show but made an early dart for the long journey to Norwich to pick it up. It was an ebay purchase so I hadn't seen the car in the flesh yet. On top of that the car came with no paperwork so was a bit of a risk. But when I got there the car was solid, no rust anywhere and everything looked in good working order \:D/ Test drive was good so I handed over the monies and me and my dad made the long journey back home to mid wales in the 2's.

The previous owner to me bought it with the aim of using it as a track car. So stripped out most of the interior plastics, all the carpets and fitted bucket seats, a BGW and a load of crap stickers!

He only managed one trackday and then stored it for 12 months before selling.

So here are some pics of how the car looked when I picked her up...

There were quite a few things that weren't really to my taste, so the work began.

First job was to remove all the stickers.

After a few hours of carefully scraping, peeling and rubbing the car looked like this.

Ten times better already :D
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Peter Gidden

Re: Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Post by Peter Gidden »

Hi Josh

Good to see you posting up your profile. :thumleft:
JAAASH

Post by JAAASH »

Cheers Pete :thumleft: Figured it was about time!

Next on the list was to sort out the interior.

I didn't like the stripped out interior, red bucket seats and red plastics so I pretty much gutted the whole thing and started fresh.
Even the dash came out as it also had some terrible stickers that were easier to get off with the dash out.

Pics! :twisted:

Refitting of the interior.

You may also have noticed that the BGW has been removed and bootlid replaced for one with the spoiler holes filled in.

The clutch was also on the way out so the car was raised and ready to have a clutch change. But more on that later.
Back to the interior!

Got most of it all back together now

Including my new sound system 8) And a seat stolen from my n/a :whistle: whilst I sorted some replacement buckets.
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

simba90 wrote:The clutch was also on the way out so the car was raised and ready to have a clutch change. But more on that later.

Release bearing. Aaaaggghhh. :lol:
JAAASH

Post by JAAASH »

Haha, completely forgot about that!

How many times did we try to fit the wrong one? :lol: ](*,)
JAAASH

Post by JAAASH »

I mentioned in a previous post that the clutch was on the way out so I got in touch with Peter Gidden and he happened to have an OS Giken twin plate clutch that had only a few miles on so I bought that from him and he came down to fit it for me. As well as supplying most of the parts needed to sort my interior. Top man :clap:

Couple of pics.

Never had an uprated clutch before so this was a whole new experience for me and I absolutely loved it. Easily one of my favourite mods to the car! :mrgreen:
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAAASH

Post by JAAASH »

As you can see the bodywork isn't exactly standard, and there are a couple other nice little additions that I found on the car on closer inspection.

All the bodykit parts are genuine which is nice :)
The front bumper is Airwalker, side skirts and rear spats are Greddy.

Although whilst Pete was helping fit my nur spec after doing the clutch, we found that it fouled on the spats so unfortunately they had to be removed.

I have a full genuine Toms kit in the garage that will eventually be fitted so not too fussed about the rear bumper being standard for the moment.

The Toms spoiler I have matches my paint so I fitted that. I also managed to pick up a set of double staggered Super Advan SA3R's from ebay, freshly refurbed, so they got fitted too :mrgreen:

Wheels are 16x7 front and 17x8 rear.

Time for me to switch off now! I'll try and update some more tomorrow :thumleft:
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Wow... This is really taking shape mate! The wheels set it off big
Time! Good call. I love what you have done with it so far.. Totally transformed the car
craig

Post by craig »

Lovely motor mate. Advans look awesome! :thumleft:
biohazardnico

Post by biohazardnico »

nice work ! i've exactly the same wheels !
ashley

Post by ashley »

Like it- thanks for sharing! :thumleft: :thumleft:
tsango

Post by tsango »

Thank the lord you got rid of that spoiler!! :thumleft:

Had the previous owner kept most of the interior/seats ect??

Great to see you putting it back though!!
JAAASH

Post by JAAASH »

Thanks for all the positive comments :mrgreen:
Still a few more updates to come. I'll have another go when i'm in from work :thumleft:
JAAASH

Post by JAAASH »

tsango wrote:Thank the lord you got rid of that spoiler!! :thumleft:

Had the previous owner kept most of the interior/seats ect??

Great to see you putting it back though!!

I know, ugly old thing!

Previous owner just had some re-trimmed original seats which were black and red leather. Very nice actually and were perfect condition but weren't for me so they were sold a while back on my behalf by Peter. They were for sale on his affiliates page so shouldn't be hard to find if anybody is curious about how they look.
Pretty much everything else interior wise was sorted by Peter from some of his many mr2s.
JAAASH

Post by JAAASH »

RedMR² wrote:Lovely motor mate. Advans look awesome! :thumleft:

Cheers Craig. Pretty sure you've seen my car in the flesh up at Petes. You gave me the little spare wheel retaining bolt thingy :thumleft: And you know my parents, from the Le Mans trip. Trevor and Carol, with the 911 :)
JAAASH

Post by JAAASH »

So, next update. Not so much of a mod, but more of a fix/bodge...

I caught the front bumper on a curb while parking :oops: #-o

So a 'couple' of cable ties later and this was the result :-s

Initially this was just to hold everything together, but the longer I leave it, the more I'm warming to it and feel that somehow it gives the car more character :-k

Engine mods were next to come. Nothing serious, just simple stage 1 stuff. The car already has the nur spec as mentioned earlier. It had a mushroom type air filter fitted but I had a blitz induction kit in my parts box so fitted that. She already had an Apexi dump valve fitted by a previous owner so I've stuck with that for now. And I purchased a Greddy intercooler from jasongtr on here and got that fitted too. Real pig of a job but well worth it!
I also managed to get hold of a xxxx decat downpipe. With the flexi section in it. Really helped to free up the engine... as well as make quite a bit more noise. As if having a nurspec wasn't loud enough!! :twisted:

I also bought a Blitz dsbc type s but didn't get round to fitting that for a while as I wasn't sure on where to put the controller! :-k

Once that's set up, I won't be doing much more, power wise. Not to this engine anyway.
Long term goal is to go down the V6 route. 2GRFE specifically. And it will be a homebuild so be sure to receive many many questions as it will be the first time I've attempted anything like that!
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JAAASH

Post by JAAASH »

Next on my hit list were the lights. Fronts, rears, sides...they all need changing!

So sidelights were done first as they are the easiest. I went with some smoked ones from mr2-ben. Just up the road from me so easy to pop in and get parts :)

Wipers and scuttle panel are only out because I wanted to clean behind them. It was all green and would catch my eye every time I cleaned the car so I pulled it all off and got scrubbing.

Toblerones will be going as they are vile but conflicting ideas bouncing around mean that they are still there. Not for long though as I've decided on what I want to do now :) That won't come until a bit later though =;

Rear lights were next.
I'd seen plenty of 2's with tinted rear lights and some do look nice but it wasn't really what I wanted. I then came across guys that had completely removed the amber sections and replaced them with either clear or red sections. I really liked the clear sections so started looking at where to get hold of them. It was only until I did some reading on the american mr2oc that I found out a user named wolfie308 produced and sold them. So I contacted him and soon enough these little beauties were delivered...

I got to work on these straight away.
So first of all I had to take my current lights apart. Triangles were simple but The main clusters were very time consuming but well worth it in the end :)

Once fitted, they were masked up, ready for a quick bit of tinting. Only the edges though so they were all the same shade.

Then after hours of rubbing back and polishing (of the tinted areas) they looked like this...

So happy with the results. Really updates the looks. Also nice knowing it's one of those little mods that not many other people have got :D

Moving onto the headlights.
I managed to get hold of some rogue quads, again through Peter :thumleft:
They were in a bit of a sorry state though so were broken, rubbed down, repainted and built back up. They were missing a few parts so couldn't be completely rebuilt. Unfortunately I am still missing one of the little gold pins that plugs them in so they are still sat in a box at the moment :roll: and i was so close to getting them fitted :(
Anyway, here are a couple of pics of how they currently stand...

They'll get fitted one day! :lol:
Last edited by JAAASH on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

I think it needs the Greddy spats back on... :thumleft:

Great save tho, looked awful with that wing
biohazardnico

Post by biohazardnico »

whaou big work on lights
craig

Post by craig »

simba90 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Lovely motor mate. Advans look awesome! :thumleft:

Cheers Craig. Pretty sure you've seen my car in the flesh up at Petes. You gave me the little spare wheel retaining bolt thingy :thumleft: And you know my parents, from the Le Mans trip. Trevor and Carol, with the 911 :)

Ah, I remember the car now! Loved the look you gave me when I said just give us £30 for the wheel retainer. "Is he serious?" :lol:

Yeah, the car does look stunning in the flesh. Had a good time up in the mountains with Trevor and Carol and the rest of the lads/lasses. Also been out for a few meals with Trevor, Carol, Pete and Carol. :thumleft:

Trevor's Porsche is a beast. That is what Tunnels were designed for. :twisted:

Nice mods with the lights etc, I've parted rev3 lights before as I had one JDM and one UK cluster so split the UK one to remove the fog light 'mirror' Not a job I'd like to do again any time soon! :pale:

Return to “Member Profiles”