help! me again lol

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Neilpr

help! me again lol

Post by Neilpr »

evening all!

hope everyones had a good weekend! (shame about the crappy weather)

soooooo........ went to do the de cat today and the heat shield bolts are rusted in and also themselves rusted with no bolt head. I was thinking of banging a socket over the ones on top, but what about the lower ones on the side? any other ideas how to get them off? also, can you leave the heat shield off after?

more importantly, while crawling round underneath, i noticed its leaking oil out the gasket on the side that holds all the cam cover etc on? (it runs top to bottom of the engine on the right if looking from the top?) also looks like instant gasket has been used previously. its not p1$$ing oil but it is wet, is this a major issue?

thanks

Neil
Neilpr

Re: help! me again lol

Post by Neilpr »

any ideas anyone???
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Where are you located?
frogger

Post by frogger »

Popular options are:

Irwin bolt grips
Dremel cutting off, and replacing studs if required
Chiseling off at correct angle

All of the above is aided by a good soak in penetrating oil / plug gas in the days leading up to attempted removal!

Oil leak is more often from the cam chain tensioner, which is on that side of the engine, just below the cam cover - it does indeed use instant gasket out of the factory - so is nice and easy to redo - two 10mm bolts to remove the plate, clean up, new gasket, bolt up, done.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”