What is a 5S block?

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2 Rich

What is a 5S block?

Post by MR2 Rich »

As title thread really, have been looking at engine rebuild info and have come across a few people saying a 5S block is the one to go for, just wondering what is? :thumleft:
No 2 :(
ashley

Re: What is a 5S block?

Post by ashley »

It is the cylinder block from (amongst others) the Camry- 2.2litres as standard, naturally aspirated- the engine is the 5SFE.

In the post 98 models the block has two advantages for us:

- 2.2l by design
- Thicker cylinder walls and therefore able to take more abuse in a forced induction setup

You need to be careful in the combination of parts you use, but loads of info on here :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Cheers Ashley. So is it worth it for a 300bhp build or would it be overkill? :thumleft:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Overkill. The 300bhp thing has been discussed millions of times, just try the search :)
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Sorry... #-o
ashley

Post by ashley »

Depends what your end game is- if you are going to 300hp as a starter but will continue to mod and end up north of 500-600hp then I would say it's a sound long term investment...really depends what your longer term ambitions are mate :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Sorry to jack the thread but on terms of doing a conversion for higher output ie 500-600bhp, would it not be better to go for the 3.4 5vzfe? :lol:
I may start a full build next winter and possibly going down that route
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

ashley wrote:Depends what your end game is- if you are going to 300hp as a starter but will continue to mod and end up north of 500-600hp then I would say it's a sound long term investment...really depends what your longer term ambitions are mate :thumleft:

Interesting, I would never be going that high, maybe 350 in time so might go forged pistons but think I will stop there. :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Gullzter wrote:Sorry to jack the thread but on terms of doing a conversion for higher output ie 500-600bhp, would it not be better to go for the 3.4 5vzfe? :lol:

Go for it- sounds very interesting :thumleft:

EDIT- single turbo conversion I'm guessing?
Last edited by ashley on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

MR2 Rich wrote:

Interesting, I would never be going that high, maybe 350 in time so might go forged pistons but think I will stop there. :thumleft:

Yeah- spot on mate :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

ashley wrote:
Gullzter wrote:Sorry to jack the thread but on terms of doing a conversion for higher output ie 500-600bhp, would it not be better to go for the 3.4 5vzfe? :lol:

Go for it- sounds very interesting :thumleft:

EDIT- single turbo conversion I'm guessing?

I like the idea of a twin turbo but to be honest ive got a lot to research to see whats possible and how much of my bank it would want lol
ashley

Post by ashley »

Twin turbo would be insane :mrgreen:

It's never going to be a low cost engine option if you're going to boost it, but people have- supercharging is popular. But for all out power you'll be looking at a full set of rods, pistons, injectors, custom exhaust manifolds, turbo(s), custom exhaust, intercooling/ charge cooling, a nice ecu, etc etc....yep: it would be expensive alright :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

ashley wrote:Twin turbo would be insane :mrgreen:

It's never going to be a low cost engine option if you're going to boost it, but people have- supercharging is popular. But for all out power you'll be looking at a full set of rods, pistons, injectors, custom exhaust manifolds, turbo(s), custom exhaust, intercooling/ charge cooling, a nice ecu, etc etc....yep: it would be expensive alright :lol:

Just look on Ebay, plenty of twin turbo MR2s on there.... :eye: :mrgreen:
ashley

Post by ashley »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

RedMR² wrote:
ashley wrote:Twin turbo would be insane :mrgreen:

Just look on Ebay, plenty of twin turbo MR2s on there.... :eye: :mrgreen:

:lol: :mrgreen:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

On a side note I have been reading about forged pistons and quite a few people mention that they use a bit more oil and are louder than standard due to them being slightly smaller in the block? Is there any truth to it as I thought the rings are the bit that seals the oil?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Anybody? :pale:
ashley

Post by ashley »

It depends on what your engine builder specifies when he gets the machine shop to bore the cylinders, I've heard of forged pistons "needing" a larger bore clearance to allow for expansion once hot, and this causing a bit of piston slap. But most piston manufacturers will specify clearances for you, you won't go too far wrong following their recommendations.

As for burning oil...as you say the oil control rings (if gaped correctly) should limit this.

I really wouldn't let any of this put you off a forged build, if built correctly you shouldn't have any problems :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Thanks for the reply Ashley :thumleft: The only person I would get to build me an engine is Peter Gidden so I'm sure it will be fine. It's just reading all these comments about piston slap and oil usage was getting me worried. :thumleft:
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

they do use a little more but its not too drastic and yes you can get piston slap until it warms up, but that shouldntt be too bad either.
i haave the 87mm hks pistons in mine. i put maybe a ltr of oil in every 750-1500 miles

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”