Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GeorgeL

Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Post by GeorgeL »

Well here it is. Finally ive posted up my own thread only after owning what is my second MR2 now for 6months.

My MR2 story started off back when I was 18. I got my first MR2 Turbo. It was a mk2 rev2 with rev5 exterior and a rev4 Turbo engine. Boot mount IC, TD06 etc... was a bit of a weapon. Cut a long story short, I bought 800cc injectors for it, a new Turbo etc and it just sat tucked away in the garage for well over a year... which killed me as I just wanted to get it mapped and have some fun again. However, the reason it sat away was due to two things:

1) I travel a lot for work and college so I was running a second car to prevent the MR2 from getting ruined and secondly I couldn't afford to run the MR2 aswell as my daily car due to reason number 2.

2) My girlfriend of the time.... controlling expensive nightmare.

Anyways... moving on. She didn't like the car and moaned about it constantly. Said I would spend too much money and time on it and not enough with her etc... I was younger and a foolish so instead of telling her where to go I listened. Which is how it ended up tucked away for so long. I thought she would come around... SILLY me.

Here it was while I still used it and before I sold the Rotas..

And with my old Daily bus at the time:

I finally came to my senses and sorted out issue No2 and started saving to go nuts with my car. However after much thought regarding the power I was going to chase I figured that the T-bar chassis would flex too much off the line and so I decided I would buy and build a second MR2 which would be my "balls out" weapon. The plan was to keep my original T-bar as a sunny weekend backroad car and use the second MR2 - which wasn't bought yet - as a road drag car/occasional track assault car.

GREAT PLAN!

So I was ready to start buying up parts and looking for another MR2 when I got myself another girlfriend...

Oooops.

She seemed fantastic and loved that I had a passion for cars and so on...

So I put the cars on hold again as I enjoyed unreal nights out, holidays, weekends away and all the rest.
Then she decided she wanted to future plan and was thinking about Flats and so on (this is another year down the line... im 21 now at this point).
I was in absolutely no hurry to move out as I get on great with my folks and was currently still a 3rd year apprentice. So I said id start saving for a flat once I was time served and in the mean time ill sort out the cars. That way in the future I wont have to spend as much on top of the flat idea.

See this was and should have been a clever idea but I made one major mistake which ill get to.

I then came across what is my current MR2 and snapped it up as it was a fantastic base to build upon with some of my plans already done (money saving exercise).

So that was me with two Brilliant MR2 bases that needed me to save up and finish each to how I planned. Then came along this girlfriend of the time and talked me into selling my original MR2 at the time as she thought I would spread myself thin over building the two of them. She thought I may not be able to save up enough for a flat if I kept putting money into two cars....

(She is no longer my girlfriend either... I know, I pick them :p)

And so... the original t-bar went. However its still in the community as VinP182 now owns it. I had text him to see if he wanted some parts as I was considering breaking it and he said he would buy the whole car. I knew it would be going to a good home and I know Vinny so I was happier to let it go this way.
I have to say though Vinny has really got it coming into shape now and has done some cracking work to it... hats off buddy its looking great again :)

So here was the day it left... minus the wheels I had bought for it and kept.

(it actually snowed that day quite heavily as Vinny and I loaded it onto the trailer)

Genuinely one of my biggest regrets was being talked into selling it. But im happy to see the progress the car has made an im hoping Vinny will give me a shot again someday ;) wink wink.

Right... onto my Current car.

1998 UK Rev5 ... so originally a NA. Now rocking a Rev3 Turbo unit with many alterations.

Here it was when I travelled 250 miles to view it... please excuse my Mum's car in the background. She kindly let my Dad and I borrow it for the day and probably regrets it now.

.... 1 hour later, hands shaken and deposit was already wired the night before as I knew I would take it.

After a few issues that happened with the car before I came to pick it up I ended up having to wait about 3-4 weeks before It was ready but I didn't mind as I was arranging a few things for it anyway.

After another 250 mile drive home - 70ish of those with snow - I got it home.

Here are some photos of it the next day. I had already removed the UK rear lights and changed them for USDM style ones and had converted to the quad rear light set up. I had also started removing the stickers that were all over the back windows. They were cool but not my cup of tea.

Next up was to paint the brake callipers. They were a pastel yellow colour and I just couldn't hack it. My old man had got some paint mixed up for the brakes on his car and had some left. 350z bronze/copper with a very mild gold flake through it.. so I "borrowed" that.

At this point James (Cardhore) was in the middle of finishing my Desmond Regamaster Marquis Promada wheels that he has sourced for me. However, the colour we had chosen for them didn't quite work out with my plans and my Dad painted them white for me.

While the car was still up on stands/jack I ordered my tires for the Regas and got them fitted by my mate through at SKIDZ (Falkirk)

Here the are fitted...

Front: 17x8 et35 on Yoko Parada spec 2 (215/40/17)
Rear: 17x9 et38 on Toyo R1R (255/40/17)

I use Paradas on the front as I absolutely love the feedback you get from them.. and I don't plan to ever use the car in the wet :P

9(
I had also sourced 4 brand new centre caps from America for the Regas. (they slightly change colour from bright white when under light to a light silver when not in direct light... pretty cool as anytime you see White rega centre caps they have yellowed and look terrible)

I Also got my Dads friend to make me up these stickers (based on original Rega Evos) just to break the white on them for now...

Next It was time to sort out the seats.. It had came with Sparco Bucket seats which don't get me wrong were nice but I just didnt fit them at all due to the fixed rails. I actually had to remove the drivers one in order to drive the car home. Luckily I had a spare set of leather mk2 seats and rails in the garage so I dropped them in for the time being.

This is what I removed and sold (Harnesses also gone):

And ive ordered 2 of these with custom Blue stitching instead of the usual Red so they match my Nardi Torino Steering wheel that I have put in the car. Got a set of Takatas coming too for it:

BYE BYE ricer style exhaust...

I took a trip down to see Willie at Meerkat exhausts (they make exhausts for SVM and made Keith Cowies etc)

I asked for a subtle, not too big style Jap dragger style exit (3" internal bore) and that I didnt want It to sound like an ASBO. The result was fantastic as my car has a non-OTT exhaust and a fantastic power note now aswell.

And the story will continue tomorrow.... :)
Last edited by GeorgeL on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Gullzter

Re: Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Post by Gullzter »

Nice :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Nice! :D

Is that Jason's old car then?
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Yeah bud it is... A good few changes done but its in bits again. Ill post up everything tonight when I'm home for the remainder of the week.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

That was/is a great car. Very interested to see what you've done with it since :thumleft:
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Look forward to reading :)
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Im waiting for spec, pics etc :lol:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

First post got a little update on how I got here and stuff...

Ill be putting up Full spec tomorrow along with photos from my trip to Fensport and a few other plans in motion.

Last edited by GeorgeL on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Great write-up and love the changes you've made. I can't believe you kept it hidden from us for all this time [-( :lol:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Thanks mate... got loads more things ive done to put up but I am shattered.

I think that has taken me up to about May time with progress log.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

All the more to read tomorrow then :wink:

Love those Bride seats. They're exactly the ones I was toying with getting some time back, but never did, thankfully.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

You sure will have :) ... its actually nice to put this all down as you can ust flick a few pages and see the progress. Im sure you will know this better than anyone ;)

Yeah you would have had to let them go.. and they don't come cheap at all to be just selling on. Im just hoping they fit ok. As to fitting me im in need of losing a good bit of weight so it will be an incentive :P
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

A very good incentive, as they are damn comfy. 1600 miles for Le Mans and no discomfort at all :thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

1600 miles :P ... mind me asking how much fuel you went through as I don't expect that was 1600 miles of economy driving
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I don't remember exactly, I think it was somewhere around 7 tanks. I think we averaged about 28mpg
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

To be fair that's pretty decent mate.. Totally reasonable :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Most of it was off boost. A few passes of the Mulsanne straight swallowed about an 1/6th of a tank in about 30 mins :whistle:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Did you actually get on track ? If you did I am not only jealous that you drove all the way there but you have done one of my Dreams
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It's all public roads apart from race days, so you're free to drive the straight etc on the days before. Hell, we walked most of the straight on the (Mad) Friday.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=173353 :thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Learn something new every day :) .. That's impressive though. I need to find myself a week or two off to take a trip there and to the ring :)

No break downs on the trip?

Return to “Member Profiles”