[FINALIZED] Beams SW20 / £3000

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

synXero

Beams SW20 / £3000

Post by synXero »

:(

Image Image Image

I suspect this car will only be interesting to someone who is as keen on owning a Beams car as I am and have been. It's a bit of a collector's edition car and as such probably needs to find the right buyer.

I've loved owning this car, went to ridiculous lengths (and losses) to get it myself, and have since spent more than it cost on it, doing it up and buying everything it has needed new from Toyota! I've put up a post on the Facebook group and had a few enquiries, so I'll put it up here too. I'm thinking of selling because I am moving city, and all my commuting is going to be done on a bike for at least a year. It seems senseless to let the car fall into disrepair or lack of use.

I will be wanting £4,000 to consider a sale.

Points to note:
  • Full engine rebuild @ Rogue Motorsport in June 2010, c. £1700, including belts and pumps and seals and so on.
  • Mileage c. 90,000mi
  • MOT and Tax expire end of December
  • Bodywork is largely excellent, small scrape on rear bumper has had no attention and front bumper has had paint since manufacture
  • Absolutely rust free
  • 1/1000 Beams SW20 originals (factory built i.e. not an engine swap), and this one of the first being built in Dec 1997.
  • 1/1500 Cosmos Blue SW20s
  • Extensive 'preventative' servicing, a full replacement set of coil on plug leads for example at £300 the set. Most owners regard these as life-long but I wanted to refresh them. New throttle position sensor, new rocker gaskets, new aluminium radiator, new gearbox oil, etc.

• Multitude of high-quality modifications
    • Supra big brakes and floating rotors conversion – the front brake discs alone were £360 – full conversion cost an awful, awful lot.
    • Enlarged rear brake kit to match
    • Genuine TOM's sideskirts
    • Advan AVS Model 5 alloys, Falken 245s on the rear and Bridgestone 215s up front
    • 30mm drop on Apex progressive springs
    • Full custom (Stainless Creations) free-flowing exhaust
    • Reclining bucket seats
    • Xenon bulbs and uprated clear glass reflector headlights

• There are also a vast number of small tidy-up mods, including Lockwood sill trims, OEM Lexan blinds and Dandism floor mats and Toyota MR2 bootmat, red LED-conversion heater controls, chrome dial rings, so on so forth

• For anyone who was interested in knowing more about the car, I have a seven page Microsoft word document detailing absolutely everything I know about the car, right down to the correct trim code and its mileage upon import.
  • If there are any true Beams nutcases interested, I also have a bolt-on redtop beams supercharger kit, which cost its original buyer something in the region of $9000, for a Rotrex C30-94/intercooler/billet aluminium bracketry, more on this if you are interested. If it went with the car, we could negotiate on price but I would indicate it would be a give-away at £2,000.
Last edited by synXero on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
synXero

Re: [FINALIZED] Beams SW20 / £3000

Post by synXero »

Alongside the car itself I have a variety of bits that may interest a prospective owner including the original exhaust system, replica TOM's rear bumper, standard side vents (non-TOMs), OEM mud flaps etc.
fimmo

Post by fimmo »

oh my god!!! you have a bolt on superchager kit, thats as rare as rare gets and its not on the car!! shame on you mate, get it fitted asap!
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Your mad, mad as a hatter, a hatter with 10 bears!
Honestly, I would get a lock up and store it for a year. So long as its kept out of the elements in a dry place no harm will befall it. The cost saving of running a bike would more than pay for a decent bit of storage space.

Or wait until I have some space for it :wink:
synXero

Post by synXero »

It so happens the old man has just splurged on a garage. You never know, eh. I'll only sell it if I get a good strong offer for it.

I do love the car dearly, and I know if I ever got another it wouldn't compare to this one. Owning the charger, too, is just a dream... It's just financially irresponsible :lol: :lol: :lol:

The charger would take it to approximately 350 lag-free horse powers :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Can't believe you're even considering selling it :shock:
Last edited by ashley on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glen n

Post by glen n »

Saw this car a few weeks ago,it's very tidy,shame your selling tho mate
synXero

Post by synXero »

I don't know what I want to do with it at all just now. Definitely in two minds.

Part of me wants to sell up, save up, and buy something newer and faster. Part of me wants to keep this, enjoy it for the superb creation it is, and run it forever! Then there's another silly part of me that thinks holding onto a superb example like this is a sure investment.
fimmo

Post by fimmo »

although i think it'd would be best to keep it, fit the charger and have something even more unique, i'm going to stick my neck out here

i've seen some serious modified mr2's over the last 10 years, anything from an induction kit and exhaust right up to stupid sized turbo's,boot mount intercoolers and everything else you can get your hands on to fit

and one thing me knows is,what the mr2 in all its guises is capable of from standard to modified to mental

and i tell you now, hand on heart, without a shadow of doubt,and no matter what paperwork you've found on the t'internet, or what company claims to prove, but there is not a hope in hells chance that by bolting on that charger to a 2.0 beams engine that it will unleash 350 bhp

NOT A HOPE IN HELL, seriously??? do you believe that by bolting on a simple belt driven small charger is going to almost double the power??? seriously???

i thought you were more clue'd up on that, realistically,a small belt driven charger like the one in the pic, bolted on, with no other mods to support it will give max 50 bhp increase and i'm being nice about that

but 150 bhp over the claimed standard 200bhp is pure fantasy

anyway,back to the for sale post, i truly hope you keep it, bolt on the charger and prove me wrong but i have a strong feeling i will never see a rolling road printout of a beams engine with a rotrex charger bolted on touching 350 bhp....
synXero

Post by synXero »

I know you're an employed man and a busy one at that - but the more of this exhaustive 121 page thread you read, the more you'll believe:
http://www.mr2.com/forums/beams-owners- ... r-121.html

It was fitted to his car before, he made the whole lot of it, and sold it to me because he's swapped out his old charger (Rotrex C30-94, the one I now own) for a larger unit, the C38-91. Now I wont bore you or waste time digging out endless sheets of info, but I will say, you should check out Rotrex C30-94 videos on Youtube. 200hp+ 1.6L Miata engines, and 400hp 2.0 Type R engines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo8LxpfkST4

His set up on 15.5psi from this charger netted 350hp, and when he upped it to swap chargers he had to change to a turbo driveshafts and gearbox etc. set up. His figures are ambitious, but proven. I'll sift through his thread a bit, since I know it quite well, and look for a dyno sheet. There's a good data sheet on Rotrex chargers here, also: http://www.alfaclub.pl/Rotrex%20C30.pdf You'll notice it states 197-425hp output from a C30-94.

If you can't be ar$ed with that, here's a quote from Jackson Racing:
The Rotrex C30-94 supercharger unit is the largest of the C30 family and can be used in a variety of applications. This Rotrex unit is used by many of our Rotrex kit developers. The C30-94 works best on 1.8-3.0L engines and is capable of producing up to 425hp.

src: http://jacksonracing.com/shop/rotrex-su ... ger-units/

Alternatively, if atmospheric pressure is approx. 14psi, and this charger compresses air by 15.5psi, it stands to reason that power will approximately double with doubled fuel delivery also. Hypothetical maths, but legit foundations.

And you mentioned without other supporting mods - you'd obviously need an aftermarket ECU and you'd be stupid to do it without forging, IMO. Otherwise, not much needed it would seem, given the previous set up of this charger.
fimmo

Post by fimmo »

fit it, roller it, and show me the video,if it hits 350 ish i'll bow down and learn the lesson

but i've seen n/a mr2 engines over the years have chargers attached, hell, in my early days i had a 3s-fe (shame) engine in my original mr2, and i bolted on a mini cooper supercharger (pics to prove) and it was beyond pointless.

not saying yours is pointless, far from it, in fact i'm actively encouraging you to keep the car and fit the charger, then i'll know of at least one charged beams engine'd mr2

but, as i said, i dont read figures given by companies on what is acheivable, i prefer to see the car all fitted up and running..go on,do it, prove me wrong
Protok

Post by Protok »

Calum sorry for posting on your thread but I had to post something up with all the misconceptions flying around.

fimmo wrote:i've seen n/a mr2 engines over the years have chargers attached, hell, in my early days i had a 3s-fe (shame) engine in my original mr2, and i bolted on a mini cooper supercharger (pics to prove) and it was beyond pointless.

You cannot compare the gen2 3SGE to the gen4 3SGE, it is like comparing apples to oranges.
The 3SGE Beams outflows the gen3 3SGTE nearly twice as much. Toyota had to restrict it because it at one point outperformed their best N/A engine the 2JZGE.
A simple remap on standard stuff actually brings it back to around 220ps easily, a simple google will bring plenty of evidence up for this.

Also wasn't the type of supercharger you used different to this one? I believe you used a twinscrew charger which are notoriously known for losing more power than they gain in some applications.

As for Mandalay's supercharger kit; the guy spent AU$10000s building an OEM like performance upgrade. i nowhere near even refute the fact that he made 350bhp on it and if it wasn't for the fact of making a bracket being such a pain in the ar$e I probably would have done it too.
I in the end followed the Altezza guys and turbocharged mine, 230hp at the wheels with boost at 1700rpm.
Seen engines with standard internals run 320bhp with a piggyback ECU and that's at 11.5:1 compression.

Anyway Calum, you really shouldn't sell up; it's too good a car for that.
Good luck with the sale :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Never knew this was up for sale mate!

Anyone considering buying it i actually seen it today and the pics do not do the bodywork justice whatsoever.. The colour is just beautiful and looks really well looked after, lovely brakes and wheels and engine bay looks sweet.

I think u should keep it though :mrgreen:
spooky

Beautiful mate

Post by spooky »

Honest to god I'd have that and cherish it since ive admired that car from afar, but like anyone else who claims those words, now is not the time for me to be laying out cash, such a massive massive pity.

I also plead with you, keep it, garage it, there's too much of you in that car, unless you see something you really cant sleep over and must have!

I remember that Beams supercharger project, it made me stop & think, get it fitted.

One MR2 fan to another.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Ahaha, it's a shame you didn't see it when it was clean Gullzter!

Thanks spooky, that was heart warming haha. I am really not sure what I am doing with it just now. I've just driven it another 50 miles or something with all of its new bits on - new alu radiator, new fuel pump, new TPS, new TOM's underbody brace, yadda yadda ya... It really is a lovely motor. Especially now. Unlike my previous MR2, there's just not a creak or a squeak from it. It's really really tight. I guess that's just Rev5s.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

I say keep it also. It's truly a lovely looking car and if I had the money I'd have it myself but sadly this isn't an option.

Regarding the supercharger kit, obviously there's other work gone into it but a friend of mine has a Rotrex'd 2ZZ-GE Celica and that's pushing 414 according to a dyno printout.

Either way I'm inclined to say keep it and enjoy the car for what it is, one of the last properly fun Jap sports cars in my humble opinion
RST

Post by RST »

Free bump for you.I'd say keep it -having owned a rev 2 N/A and a rev 3 tubby now (plus 2 gen 6 GT4's), the gen 4 3SGE engine is most definitely my favourite!

Protok is right -we both know Angelo (Mandalay), if he did something it cost 10x more than you think and would have worked fine and safe. If I recall correctly, Rogues "built" gen 4 with FI made about 380Bhp at the hubs on low boost (without VVTi enabled I think).

GLWS :thumleft:
adamshaw

Post by adamshaw »

So tempted to buy and go down the SC route - just the ££££££

or wait for an immaculate modded rev 3+ turbo. Decisions

Does Anyone have a guestimate at how much this would be to get up and running withe SC fiited considering all the aftermarket parts required? - without forging the engine
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

A factory beams for sale thread with no engine bay pics, wtf?
synXero

Post by synXero »

:lol: I'll upload some tonight.

This car is now definitely available for viewing. Located in Glasgow G11. Happy to take people out in it if they are interested etc.

Return to “MR2s for Sale”