Purple Haze Now For Sale

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

madbasshunter

Purple Haze Now For Sale

Post by madbasshunter »

I am a bit late posting this up :rolleyes: but after my red2's engine seized I acquired a rev3 with a 19000 mile engine then found a little tin worm in my red shell so broke it with the intention of using the new shell which wasn't that good :sad:. Around this time Trev threatened to sell his 2 which had had a full restoration and respray I thought this would be an excellent base to carry my project on with. So eventually Feb 2012 I jumped on the train to Leicester met Trev and saw my new car by the station
which I drove home in :)
ENGINE & DRIVE-TRAIN
Standard rev1 3SGE, stripped and overhauled info i had from previous owner
Blue-flame exhaust
Painted cam-cover
- EXTERIOR
Full respray in, 938 mystic purple mica ,(as found on the Toyota Tacoma)
Bomex 180 front lip
Front and rear grill meshed
Low rise headlight mod (GTO), with modification to control box to remove the delay when switching off
Smoked front lights, with swapped sidelight / indicators, and led bulbs,
Tinted fog lights
Modified and carbon wrapped windscreen scuttle
BMW side repeaters
Genuine Ganador electric mirrors
Clear rear light indicators, with US red lit reflector section,and 4 light Brake/fog light modification
Smooth reflective centre panel
Standard fit Toyota mudflaps all round
Likwid art front Toyota devil badge
Likwid art rear Toyota badge
Wind deflectors on windows
New T-Bar seals
- CHASSIS & SUSPENSION
Rev3 rear subframe fitted
19mm anti roll bars fitted ,front and rear,poly-bushed
All suspension bushes changed to poly, including main engine mountings
Black turbo bilsteins on rear
New inserts in front shocks ,with new gaiters and poly bump-stops standard springs
New drop-links fitted
New ball-joints fitted
New front top mounts fitted
- INTERIOR & ICE
Rev3 seats
Recovered leather door card inserts (rogue)
Man in Dandism car mats
lockwood white dials
All interior lights changed to blue leds, including foot-well lights .and heater controls,blue light strip in boot
Flip out screen, DVD sat-nav stereo,wired to standard 7 speaker system
Upgraded front and rear speakers
Parrot blue tooth hands free kit
Wide angle JDM interior mirror
lockwood door sills
- WHEELS & TYRES
Stern split rim alloys (fair condition)

http://s536.photobucket.com/user/madbas ... estoration
And the key :)
The day before I travelled up to see it Trev asked if I had plans for the dash or would I like the carbon covers
Image :)
After driving home I transferred my reg over and told my insurers that I was swapping everything from my old car to my new car.
Then fitted my rev5 option recaro's and snap off steering wheel
ImageImage
Last edited by madbasshunter on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
DanT

Re: Purple Haze Now For Sale

Post by DanT »

looks great! love the seats
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Thanks
I did a couple of little jobs like the brake cylinder brace and optima
and added my bluetooth stereo (the navsure now plays through the pioneer)
then drove it a few times :) before lowering by fitting the spax psx kit off my old car
along with my 17's
Last edited by madbasshunter on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
DanT

Post by DanT »

you got lots of wheels? lol
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I am slowly getting rid of my wheels :) I bought the purple car with the sterns as I thought they looked good and wasn't sure how the white mim wheels, with a blue and purple flip would look on it? Till I tried them :)

I then found a small but annoying leak on the rear passenger side window
So removed them both cleaned it up and fitted the windows off my red 2 (which had good seals)
Then decided to change the spax for buddy club coillies
RyanRs wrote:

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

After fitting the buddy club coilovers I fitted the rev3 brakes discs and braided hosesfrom the red car and had to get brackets for the brake hoses (to keep mot tester happy) managed to snap the end off a brake pipe so replaced that too
which have been lying around for a while as you can see
I then thought as I have swapped all the suspension, subframe, arb etc I might as well change the handbrake cables, (I know the old ones worked ok but I might as well change them) when I ran into this problem :confused1:
someone had snapped the bolt off so I had to bend it to get the old cable out then drill the bolt out and run a a tap through to clean the thread.
RyanRs wrote:

matt.handley1990

Post by matt.handley1990 »

car is looking good mate, i love the look of the seats that you have put in, they recaros ?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I decided to swap the 19000 mile engine with turbo flywheel and clutch along with the E153 box and shafts etc over from my old car and purchased an expensive induction kit to fit from pacific works, anyway it took a long time to arrive and by then I was swapping engines. I had actually paid (in parts) a club member to help but he didn't http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/24/157711 ... e#p1658852 Thankfully Jeff came down from London on a Saturday and we swapped it over (he had the old engine box etc for helping)

Then I came to fit the induction kit which wouldn't fit and turned into a nightmare as Luke was uncommunicative and not helpful http://s536.photobucket.com/user/madbas ... ic%20Works
So I gave up on that and utilised the Apexi I had purchased for it and made this

I used an induction pipe of ebay and drilled and grommetted it for idle speed valve

Utilised the Apexi brackets to mount it out by the vent

Inspection panel removed

Had to change the gearcables so fitted a TRD shifter at the same time

Decided the coilovers were a bit hard so changed to yellow bilsteins and painted my spax springs blue
Then reset the mileometer to match the engine and took it for its MOT
Which it passed.
Last edited by madbasshunter on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Decided to fit the Storm single wiper next
In position
then went on to fit my cut out scoops with vents thanks to gazrev1tubby
I decided on silver mesh to make them stand out as the car looks black from a distance black mesh wouldn't be noticeable
Added the rear spoiler
Then went to fit the Rookie sideskirts
and found the scoops I had had fitted to the vents stopped the skirts fitting :facepalm:
Last edited by madbasshunter on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I purchased some cut out vents off a club member to replace my vents
just needing a final skim and paint
Now as they are standard Toyota parts modified I did not test fit them but gave them to the sprayer to finish and spray along with my spats
So when they came back I went out to fit them which is where my problem started the filling to remove the vent was thick which meant my freshly painted vent stuck out over 10mm at the front! Obviously I was a bit surprised and started trying to sand the back down
I sanded then got a rasp in and went as far as I dared worrying I would break it
It still would not fit and I thought I was fighting a losing battle, then had a brainwave if the metal bracket holding the rubber duct in place was removed they would fit, so I cut the front strip off and refitted it
I then replaced the clips to make sure
and silver mesh to stand out
Then fitted rear spats
Last edited by madbasshunter on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanRs wrote:

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Removed the metal undertray from a tubby lid at gazrev1tubbys suggestion and trimmed it to fit with the F40 cover
then noticed the bracket for the engine cover strut was rusting so removed to paint
also realised the engine cover wouldn't shield the starter motor
so added an exhaust shield to the cover ;)
RyanRs wrote:

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Here is the centre after being cut to fit a uk switchable vent
a couple more carbon pictures I have been asked about, window switch
and dash
As tax discs are no more I put this light up toyota badge in (will have to do a vid in the dark)
RyanRs wrote:

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I took a liking to the F40 covers and got one from Gary which Dave kindly delivered
Then got it sprayed and fitted
I also had a play with fitting a 5.25" Pyle woofer :rolleyes:
With an mdf spacer it fitted and worked okay then removed it but found a couple of small holes in the carpet under the mat so removed it
To find the floor in good condition so I purchased a new set of rev1 carpets
RyanRs wrote:

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Fitted the air horns from the red2 under the passenger headlight
Also replaced the spax springs with Teins
On the yellow Billys
A quick picture of the clearance between the spring platform and a 215/40/17 tyre
Whilst the carpets were out I took a feed for the extra fuse box I was adding
Taken where the alternator to battery cable joins in the passenger footwell
RyanRs wrote:

Nails

Post by Nails »

Have you got any pics of how the engine cover fits mate? Always wondered how they fasten down and open and that.
looks good mate.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Thank you
Don't know if this link will work

https://m.facebook.com/video_redirect/? ... 8&__tn__=F

It clips in at the top the high level brake light has to go (if you have one) and utilises the stock catch which has a small modification
Last edited by madbasshunter on Sat May 02, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanRs wrote:

Nails

Post by Nails »

Doesnt work mate. You might have you vids set to friends only or something
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I have changed the link as its' not my video so can't change privacy settings, so hope it works
RyanRs wrote:

mister two

Post by mister two »

Love the colour

How close is that to cosmis blue? Never seen one of them in the flesh. But your pics look similar to it- until sunlight hits lol
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I understand they went out to buy cosmos blue but ended up with mystic purple mica by mistake which I think was lucky . :wink: The color has three micas in it a blue, a red and a lilac. This gives it the distinctive purple glow.
I couldn't compare it to a cosmos car as I haven't seen the two together. From a distance it can look black but in the sun can look lavendar
ImageImage
RyanRs wrote:

Return to “Project Cars”