PETROL FUMES

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RichardMorgan

PETROL FUMES

Post by RichardMorgan »

I have a smell of fuel :^o when the heater setting is set to inside the car (if you half press the heater buttons so there is no light on any of the buttons it goes away).
I see no leaks from the tank etc, any ideas?
Rob [email protected] Posted by Richard Morgan
System-G

Re: PETROL FUMES

Post by System-G »

It might be co-incidental that you only smell the fumes when air is channel from the outside of the car through the vents. I used to get excessive fuel smell in my cabin only when the sunroof and windows were open.

Chances are it the fuel breather valve that's knackered.

Attached is a photo showing the location of said valve. Please be aware this photo was taken in haste and before I replaced the hose back into the chassis rail inlet. Do not leave it hanging out as shown in the photo!

HTH :thumleft:

Note to admin: I thought this topic had been put into the KB, but couldn't find it a few minutes ago?

Email also sent to Rob.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Tony jinxy froude

Re: PETROL FUMES

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

This is not always the case. I replaced mine with a brand new vapour trap when i had similar problems with the windows open & its made no difference, the more petrol in the tank the less smell i get when the windows are open, the smell is very strong from around the handbrake gaitor which would lead me to believe its a gasket on the top of the tank which is causing the problem. This is a very common fault which is now begining to affect mk2,s also. Im going to drop the tank very soon before the bad weather sets in & see if i can cure it once & for all, will update with what i find, cheers, Jinxy

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”