MR2 Carnage at Silverstone!

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

MR2 Carnage at Silverstone!

Post by Rogue »

The mist was just lifting as we got to Silverstone, heralding the start of a very warm sunny day! I got through scrutineering with just a recommendation to secure my fire extinguisher a little better - I'll be adopting a fully plumbed system for next season.

Qualifying was interesting, and perhaps an indication of things to come as several MR2s spun off in the first couple of laps. I'd never driven Silverstone before so my plan was to hang back for a few laps and get an idea of the circuit. I'd been warned that it was fast, and that copse corner was a little deceptive so after a couple of close calls with the kerb I picked up what was going on and started to find my own lines. After about lap four or five the yellows lifted and we were able to push harder and get some times in. I felt I was just beginning to get into my stride when the chequered flag came down and the session finished.

We were racing with the Roadsports guys again so all of the MR2s were down the grid, but I managed to pip Steve Vince in his mk1 supercharger for MR2 pole by just .06 of a second! The lead car - the usual Noble M12 - was lapping 10 seconds faster than me.

The start of the race couldn't have gone better for me. I slipped between the Porsche 928 turbo and Clan Crusader ahead of me, and feeling well pleased with myself decided to push my luck a little further. A gap opened up between the MG TF and Honda CRX who were next on the grid and I was able to insert myself between them going into copse. As we came out of the corner I was ahead and found myself chasing an Audi TT 1.8 turbo. The gap behind me grew to a comfortable level through maggotts and I was amazed to find myself pushing hard on the heels of the Audi, backing off only when I realised I was unlikely to be able to follow his line through luffield as he had four wheel drive. I figured I'd see what I'd got on him down the Pit straight and look for the inside line into copse. Unfortunately as we came onto the straight the red flags came out and the race was halted with me in seventh place overall.

The procession around the circuit showed the reason why. Steve Vince in the supercharger had been tagged from behind - I think by Simon Hepplewhite - and in the ensuing spin had managed to collect another three MR2s, Sarah Wherry picking up a near carbon copy of the damage sustained at Mallory.

The track was cleared and the race restarted with a number of gaps in the grid. I knew for certain that I wouldn't get as good a start this time and sure enough although I got past the Porsche 928 and Clan Crusader the CRX and MG had wised up and made me work to pass them. George Taylor in the XL Autos mk1 made a better start and was pressing hard on my heels as we went into copse at the start of the second lap. I saw a cloud of smoke in my driver's wing mirror as George went sideways and risked a glimpse in my rear view mirror to survey the situation as I straightened out to set myself up for maggotts. I was amazed to see the MG TF I'd passed earlier rolling onto it's roof and was genuinely worried that it might have T-boned George.

Again we proceeded to the Pit straight where we were formed up for a restart. The ambulance went past us and after a short while we were led off the track and the race was abandoned.

All of the roadsports drivers were called to a breifing later where we tried to figure out what had happened. The central car had been a white Ginetta, whose driver claimed to have been hit from the rear by a white MR2 before colliding with George and then collecting the MG and causing it to roll. This started a witch hunt to find the mk1 driver responsible - a difficult task since all three of the MR2s shown to have been behind the Ginetta were white! Silverstone's start-of-the-art video system provided a replay showing that in fact the Ginetta driver had *not* been hit at all, simply taken a bad line and failed to brake into copse, collecting George and causing the ensuing pile-up. I won't go into what happened in the paddock afterwards.

The race was rescheduled at the end of the day, seven cars lighter than it had begun. The four mk1s from the first incident were missing, as were the MG TF and Ginetta from the second - a Porsche 968CS Turbo retired with headgasket failure. Sarah Wherry kindly donated the radiator from her crashed racer so that Tony Gilham was able to continue and her mechanic Stuart Skinner helped George and Spencer straighten his bent rear track control arm.

As I'd predicted the restart proved to be my worst start of the day. I took the Porsche but the Crusader ahead and George's mk1 behind stuffed me for Copse and I ended up conceding to the XL Autos mk1. It took me a couple of laps to wear George down and pass him although he stayed right on my tail for another lap before letting go and battling with the Porsche behind him. The 928 won the battle and eventually managed to put in fantastic 1:15.38 lap and slip past me too, leaving me to chase him for the last couple of laps of the race.

As the chequered flag came down I'd just picked up sight of the tail end mk1's, finishing overall 11th and taking my first win in the challenge series by a little over 9 seconds.

My commiserations to those who picked up damage, and I hope everyone manages to get sorted out in time for the double header at Cadwell Park next month.

Rogue
PS. Photos tomorrow!
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: MR2 Carnage at Silverstone!

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

\:D/

Wicked!
Sounds like fun!

look forward to the pics :D
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

anna

Post by anna »

If only that picture were 'true' eh Rogue ;)

And Mk1s can get infront of Mk2's - it's just staying there that's the problem #-o

Rogue

Post by Rogue »

anna wrote:Image

If only that picture were 'true' eh Rogue ;)

In fairness, the Noble is lapping both of us - the Porsche is actually behind me! I followed the Noble through Luffield and no word of a lie the two cars were identically matched for handling. It wasn't until the exit of the corner that he was able to put the power down and the differences became apparent... I wish I'd had my camera on board!

Rogue
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Shiney, shiney mk2! Thanks to pit crew Rowland!

The carnage begins!

This is why we have roll cages:

Steve's Supercharger:

Sarah's offside front bears the brunt again:

Wanted! Mk1 MR2 Driver's Door:

George's car after the track control arm had been straightened:

Rogue
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Congrats on your first win Patrick. Sounds like carnage out there! Well as i well know it can and does happen.

I guess you would have preferred a win with the full field running.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
MartG

Post by MartG »

Rogue wrote:It wasn't until the exit of the corner that he was able to put the power down and the differences became apparent... I wish I'd had my camera on board!

Rogue

I wonder how much a Tubby would be able to close the performance gap to the Noble :?:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MartG wrote:
Rogue wrote:It wasn't until the exit of the corner that he was able to put the power down and the differences became apparent... I wish I'd had my camera on board!

Rogue

I wonder how much a Tubby would be able to close the performance gap to the Noble :?:

Not a hope in hell.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Lauren wrote:Congrats on your first win Patrick. Sounds like carnage out there! Well as i well know it can and does happen.

TBH, the mk2 had such a performance advantage over the NAs, wouldn't have been much of a contest. Shame about the SC though..

As for a tubby closing the performance gap - like Lauren said, not a hope!! The noble is actually something designed for performance, then made into a roadcar, rather than the otherway around.

The noble was lapping several seconds slower in the race than in practice, and he still lapped people twice and blew the TVR into the weeds.
System-G

Post by System-G »

It was a good day, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's a huge pity about the carnage and I feel really gutted for the owners and drivers of all cars involved in the accidents. I hope Sarah is feeling better by now, she wasn't looking/feeling to well after her 80mph shunt into the rear of the S/C.

I will upload some of my photos later, but they're not good quality as they were taken on my phone and old crappy digi camera.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Speedy wrote:
Lauren wrote:Congrats on your first win Patrick. Sounds like carnage out there! Well as i well know it can and does happen.

TBH, the mk2 had such a performance advantage over the NAs, wouldn't have been much of a contest. Shame about the SC though..

What he said! The front-runners for the series - George, Tony, Simon etc. - were all there; those missing were more middle of the pack guys. Steve's SC has been putting in lap times remarkably similar to mine, but I've yet to actually battle with him on the circuit - hopefully I'll get the chance at Cadwell.

Incidentally, how do you think the mk2 will do at Cadwell? There'll be two of us there, Paul Port will be making his race debut in our second car. Most people are suggesting that where Silverstone favours the mk2, Cadwell should favour the mk1?

Speedy wrote:As for a tubby closing the performance gap - like Lauren said, not a hope!! The noble is actually something designed for performance, then made into a roadcar, rather than the otherway around.

The noble was lapping several seconds slower in the race than in practice, and he still lapped people twice and blew the TVR into the weeds.

Absoloutely the turbo model would close the gap! I'm not saying it would neccessarily be competitive with the M12, but the difference in lap times would be smaller. The Noble was 10 seconds a lap faster than me, but I was 10 seconds a lap faster than the slowest mk1s. I know for sure that my car would put in better lap times with a more competent driver and Mal's been doing this for 17 odd years... A car as sorted for power and handling as Neil Johnson's may offer some suprises!

Don't forget, these are race cars. If the Noble has been designed to do this from the ground up then the scope to improve on the original would be more limited than a high performace road car such as the MR2. Also don't forget the Noble is based around the 2.5 litre lump out of the Mundano!

I've been promised a drive in a Noble M12 GT3, time to take him up on the offer I think...

:lol:

Rogue
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Cadwell always favours nimble cars. Quickest things round there in the dry are always elises/caternails.

Would say that your power advantage would be diminished by the lack of long straights at Cadwell.

Cadwell is very techy, with a number of sections that all have to be strung together well to put in a good lap time.

Cadwell is very much a circuit where corner exit speed is the deciding factor.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Lauren wrote:Would say that your power advantage would be diminished by the lack of long straights at Cadwell.

Excellent, so more of an even contest then?

Rogue
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

More so if its raining, you are running rather wide rear wheels you know :)
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Rogue wrote:Shiney, shiney mk2! Thanks to pit manager Rowland!

Well, we couldn’t have you winning in a dirty car could we?! :wink:

On a more serious note, commiserations in particular to poor Sarah Wherry who seems to be having a real run of bad luck just recently - wrong place wrong time
Really looking forward to Cadwell in a few weeks time, especially with two mk2's to make things even more interesting!

Rowland
Team Rogue

:salut:
frosty_11

Post by frosty_11 »

Well done in "winning" the MR2 Section Patrick, was great to whatch so many MR2's racing, and mixing it up well with many a much more expensive piece of Euro racer.

Congrats to all the MR2 drivers who took part, and my commiserations to those (for whatever reason) didnt finish, the (third!) race.

I took lots of pics on the day but it seems my lense isnt as big as some others ;)

Anyhow I had a great day, it was nice to Meet you Speedy and Anna -very Nice SC you have thier, hello to however was the owner of the White Mk1 that appeared in the paddock alongside us all.

Patrick, Rowland Matt (friends and family) nice to see you all again, and congrats again on a great result especially first time out at Silverstone - I'll be booking my car in shortly and remembering to quote my "I watched you race 'members' discount" ;)

Cheers all,
Gareth

ohww and heres a couple of the pics...

Image[/img]
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

arrrrghhhh...reading this is bringing my racing urges back up to the surface.

how much can i 'rent' a mkI for then?! lol

is the mkII a tubby or an n/a out of curiousity?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

acf8181 wrote:how much can i 'rent' a mkI for then?! lol

£600 for the double header at Cadwell. More details here:

http://s114047911.websitehome.co.uk/13901.html

acf8181 wrote:is the mkII a tubby or an n/a out of curiousity?

It's an n/a. :shock:

Rogue
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Speedy wrote:More so if its raining, you are running rather wide rear wheels you know :)

I'm running stock width tyres, same as the mk1 boys. The only difference is that Yokohama don't make an A539 in 225/50/15 - the size of a standard mk2 rear tyre... I'm therefore having to use Yokohama A022's at the rear (I've still got A539's up front) - these were actually the OE fitment tyres for my model year of mk2.

Steve's said that next year the series will run on tyres available in the correct sizes for both mks.

Rogue

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”