MK3 for daily driver and later as a racecar

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gldrsh

MK3 for daily driver and later as a racecar

Post by gldrsh »

Hey folks

i just discovered that the MK3 is getting pretty cheap these days. Because of the huge tax on cars in my country (Denmark) its expensive to have a fun car.

But i was thinking about importing a MK3 from Germany. A year 2000 with about 200.000km for about €3200

I have been working on cars for 10 years so i have no problem during maintenance and other stuff. Have never been really deep into engine tuning, dissasembling etc.

But i though it could be nice to have the car for the summer and maybe next year turn it into a racecar for track use.

I have read alot about these 1zz engine failing due to oil loss.

But maybe i should just drive the car this summer and then look out for a 2zz engine to buy and swap into the car next year. I have my own garage with lift so it should'nt be a problem.

What do you guys think?

What year did the MK3 come with the 2zz engine or is it from another model? I read something about Corolla, Celica and Lotus.

I just dont want to spend alot of money on a car that have less mileage and better condition (no scratches on the bumbers, nicer interior etc), but still have the 1zz engine so its a bad engine to tune on for track use. If i want to use the car for track next year i will go strip the car anyway and put racing seats and roll cage in it.

Thank you guys.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: MK3 for daily driver and later as a racecar

Post by tonigmr2 »

Get a post 03 car and your chance of engine failure will decrease significantly!

Having said that the 2zz is something I've seen several times as a conversion, I think there is even one in the for sale section...
gldrsh

Post by gldrsh »

The "problem" is that the import tax is increasing the newer the car is. So thats why i would rather get a "old" 2000 with scratches for cheap and drive the 1zz engine for a yeah or so and then get a 2zz and swap into it. There also a huge difference in 140hp and 192hp.

But i need to know some more about the rules for track use. Dont know if the rules let you put in another engine and what about tuning, maybe put on a turbo or supercharger. Need to do some more research. I dont know so much about it. I just love cars and always wanted to have a track car, so it could be fun to have.

I would rebuild the 2zz before the swap so i dont need to do it twice. I know it needs a better oil pan and other stuff. Maybe get another flywheel, cams etc.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Certainly in the UK an engine conversion would not affect your ability to take it out on track. As long as it as an MOT you're good to go.
gldrsh

Post by gldrsh »

Ok. Sorry for my lack of english, but does MOT mean?

Thank you for your replies until now :)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It's just the UK roadworthiness test, I'm sure you've something similar over there...
gldrsh

Post by gldrsh »

Ahh yeah ok. Like TÜV in Germany. We have the same here. Every two year the car has to go to a check.

I have ordered plane tickets to Germany, so i will be seeing a MK3 next monday. Hopefully its good looking so i will buy it :wink:
gldrsh

Post by gldrsh »

Sorry for the late reply.

I ended up buying a 2002 with a half busted engine which i found out i could not drive in for a year, so i bought a 2zz engine and 6spd gearbox from the celica gts. also got ppe header exhaust system and the car sounds like a racing motorcycle now and runs really fast. \:D/

I think im gonna have alot of fun with this one 8)
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

WOW, you just did the dream of any MR2 spyder owner come true! A busted engine MR2 and a 2ZZ with the 6 speed gearbox, I want the same... Please post some videos, a 0-60 run, response overtaking, could be inspiring.

Thanks!

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”